Skip to content

violent scenes.....

2»

Comments

• Take seats out and bring back the terrace

• we should be getting rid of the terrace we have not bringing back more.

• No we we shouldn't. Seats behind goals dont work. People want to stand.

• Not sure the comments about a restricted view in the first row holds much water, the comfy cushions currently in place are still opaque and stand to a reasonable level. A solid fence could stay at the same height, it would just be impossible to push it over.

• Obviously the idiots who smashed up the ground and abused other fans are morons. But I feel the powers that be breed this attitude into people with their extreme reluctance to let fans mix. I think that if I want to sit with some mates from another team and be respectful of where I am while watching my team then I should be able to do that, but you're made out to be some kind of super criminal if you try and 'infiltrate' a home end

• Quite agree, it's basic human psychology; treat people like animals and they'll behave like them.

• Our stewards have form for doing nothing when abusive away fans get into our home areas. Didn't they leave a bunch of Rovers fans once, because they were "sat quite high up" and trying to remove them would "create an issue".
    And another time, finally talked a group into leaving at half time, but then strolled them round to the away end! What clubs do this, just kick em out. You go in the wrong end, and create a rumpus, you get kicked out. Simples.

Need a proper fence in that away end. Time and time again we see goons steam onto the pitch, no matter how many stewards are in their way.

Contrast that to Torquay away, and the delirium of us staying up, none of our fans could get onto the pitch because there was a little wall!

• @Bluebottle, we treated Oxford fans fine, and they behaved like animals though.
    So I certainly wouldn't want to let them mix with home fans!

• What I'd like to see in the ground is this - not sure it would ever happen though...

Swap the ends around. Give the away fans the cramped Valley terrace, and around a third of the Beechdean from the Valley End corner downwards. Fence off the Beechdean paddock a third of the way down. This way, there would be a solid barrier between the away fans and the pitch.

Then, try and replicate the atmosphere of a Wycombe away match in the Panache stand. Take out all the seats in the centre third (or the entire top half, as at Accrington/Macclesfield), and install crush barriers on the resulting terracing. You'd then have a mixture of standing and seated accommodation, but charge terrace prices for both. Also keep the seating unreserved. This mixture might appeal to a lot of the regular away fans who like to make a racket on their travels, but don't tend to do so as much in the Frank Adams/Beechdean (or even the terrace at times).

I'd definitely consider swapping from the centre of the Frank Adams to here. I've never liked watching from the Valley terrace because of the poor view and low elevation.

• Both clubs you mention here as having that in place are tinpot !!!

• @richmayes999 Tinpot? What chance has anyone got when your ready to bandy about words like that about two clubs that have both taken the same patch as us. No wonder Oxford and others call us us Tinpot eh! Believe me we are not much bigger than either of them in reality.

• richmays. I currently have a choice of sitting or standing at Adams park. I choose to stand, as do a large bunch of guys, it is the entry point to supporting Wycombe and feeling involved, most of the centre block of the main stand started off standing on the terrace, developed their love for WWFC then moved on to sitting as they matured.
    At the majority of away games there is no choice but to go into the cheap seats, but I still stand up if the stewards allow, as they did at Millwall and Plymouth.

• If you want to replicate the atmosphere at Accrington you need to move the toilets into a portacabin and ensure that it is raining at every match. And, put the rows of seats so close together that anyone over 5ft2 needs to sit at a contorted angle.

A Macclesfield atmosphere would be OK though. Only went there once and have fond memories of some excellent good humoured banter with their fans and a 20 man comedy fight on the pitch with everyone except the two keepers waving handbags.

• @M3G OMG - there's a dinosaur in the house!

• @FrijidPink No mate just a realist!

• Put the same fence in that's in front of the terrace be the easiest thing to do they can still get over it all though the fat ultras from Sat will struggle plus it's better than what's there now save the ball boys getting crushed

• First mention of the trouble on the yellow forum and although the original post was a bit of a wind up the replies are depressingly blinkered .

• I think you will find we are a much bigger club than Accrington and Macclesfield. Both attract crowds on sometimes less than 1,000 thank god were not at that point.

• M3GM3G
    edited December 2015

So that means that Oxford are a much bigger club than us then. You agree? so we are tinpot in there eyes.

• The Point of the post was that it actually works ok at the like's of Accrington and Macclesfield behind the goals. I would like to see it replicated as an experiment in the away end here.

http://www.groundhopperunited.com/2012/10/2012-stadium-19-moss-rose.html

• That latest thread on the Oxford forum makes for quite hilarious reading.

Continual references to Wycombe being tinpot and a footballing backwater... while they play in their unfinished stadium, with no success of any note within the last 15 years except a Conference play off victory.

If Wycombe are in a footballing backwater, I'm afraid Oxford's time on the high seas is long over and they are very much stuck in their unfinished boat the backwater with us.

• It's a quite simple solution. Stick the goal posts at the valley end back where they used to be and move the goal posts at the Away end further back.