Skip to content

Match day thread: Notts County

2»

Comments

• Harriman was signed until end of Jan. Has this been extended?

• @Wendoverman Do we have Harriman for a season? The initial announcement of his loan stated it would run until the end of January and I don't recall having seen anything about an extension.

• @Wendoverman but is long ball shite worth watching for a point a game, would rather a win and two losses in Tinkerland (Hinterland by Strange Cargo anyone?) over three bore draws to Status Quo anytime.

• could you answer my questions (of 4:34) please.

• Just butting in a moment Mr @DevC, I know you see less than a handful of games a season, but when did we play pretty football ?? full blooded,organised,direct, but pretty, not on my nelly.

• OK but question stands.
    I dont see a huge number of games but ones I have seen my impression is more long ball than last season. Q3 Is that a fair impression

• I agree with Chas. We haven't really played pretty football since John Gorman.

• Another key point that as already been made is that we do not make any subs until 70 minutes plus and then we tend to go like for like and never seem to change our system.

• I once read an article where Gaz stated that one of his biggest influences in Football was his ex PNE and Cambridge boss John Beck. I know we dont like to admit it but the approach we presently have is not that unlike Beck's much critisised brand of football. I'm pretty sure most would prefer a more expansive and flowing style, but the weeks and months leading up to the Torquay miracle, i'm sure scarred Gareth as much as it did us fans, and until we can clear the bulk of our debts, i can't see the style changing to much.

• Someone was insistent at the last home game that Harriman was a season long loan...they were obviously lying to me unless it's the BFP. Or Gareth. Or Ivor Beeks. Or someone.

• Apologies to anyone I have confused.

• @Wendoverman No need to apologise: I just wondered if you had seen an announcement that I had missed. Hopefully there will be one (with good news) soon.

• The majority of clubs in this league are "small clubs" and quite a few in the division above . They also have small budgets . This does not mean hoof ball is a necessary evi to get points . I have to say with regret that we play the most un attractive brand of football out of all of the teams big and small . Before anyone gets clever I have seen every home game and 4 away .

• Out of all the teams I have watched this season I meant to say .Last night was as boring as hell for the most part

• edited December 2015

@bourne70, been nearly an hour and noone has disagreed with your comment.

• Because he is spot on. I have watched all but two home games and been Four or five away games and I totally agree. Ingram rarely looks to feed our full backs when he has the ball in hand. He as obviously been instructed to get the ball up the pitch as far as possible. The centre backs rarely pass the ball through the midfield.

Teams like Burton have progressed up the league with gates far lower than ours and then there are teams like Rochdale etc who have small budgets. They all play better football than us.

I have watched the Mighty Wycombe since 1990 and I find our current style of play the worst I have witnessed as a Wycombe fan. I really haven't seen a good footballing game at home this season.

• Definitive answer on Harriman - loan ends in Jan but they're trying to extend to the full season:

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/14148344.Ainsworth_keen_to_extend_Harriman_stay_beyond_January/

• There have been patches of play in some games when we have looked good...the two goals against Pompey for example...which makes it frustrating when we then seem to forget what has worked by the time the very late subs are made! I am old so perhaps it's my mind going...but have any teams come and played fantastically...or do we just drag them down to our level?

• I wouldn't say I've seen any team home or away this season that has played fantastically, although I missed both Bristol Rovers ties and cannot comment on whether their convincing wins were the result of them playing fantastically or the defensive ineptitude of Wycombe on those occasions. I feel League Two is not of great quality this season throughout, with no teams significantly better than the average and two or three who are performing well below average.

I don't think it is a case of Wycombe dragging other teams "down to our level". If Wycombe do routinely manage to stop otherwise fantastic teams from being able to play with their usual flair then that's great, as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't want them to be standing back and admiring their competitors' fancy footwork.

• I think Northampton looked really good at AP.

• Agree with you there blue...I think the scoreline flattered us and Uncle I was not suggesting that we are as poor as other people would have it...only that as far as I can see most of the teams this season are much of a muchness and we are no worse than the majority.

• Dead right on Northampton - completely outplayed us. They're the only team so far this season who I've thought we couldn't have beaten, even if we'd played well.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Dead right on Northampton - completely outplayed us. They're the only team so far this season.

What about Bristol Rovers ? they dominated midfield with intricate passing to feet, one two's, near the edge of the box and followed by shots.

Nice style and pattern of play.

• They looked far better than us because we were so absolutely wretched that night.

• Northampton were a class above that day. Less of a surprise now but certainly was that day. I also think that knocked our confidence a bit and may have contributed to our losing streak.
    I'd also take issue we only/have to play hoof ball with the players we've got. We are capable of playing proper football in patches - just increasingly rarely. Just speculating but I wonder if the apparent lack of progress/development of Rowe has impacted on our style of play. Previous to this season I thought he looked like a good player to play it out of defence and thought he'd be a regular. Neither Pierre or Stewart are that type of player which I think we miss.
    I think some of the home games have been really good (Plymouth, Portsmouth) but admittedly most have been awful

• Assuming Sido is back on Saturday I expect we'll see McCarthy revert to central defence ahead of Stewart. I'd like to see him play the ball out just as Mawson did last season and as he must be capable of with his Southampton training. I'd also like to see McGinn given one more chance in central midfield, with O'Nien on defensive duties and McGinn in the playmaker role, and Bloomfield on the bench.

With a spine of McCarthy, O'Nien, McGinn, Hayes and Holloway I'm sure we could see some attractive, ball-to-feet, pinpoint-passing football. A nice Xmas treat.

• Banton won't be used again he has fell out with GA and its terminal. Harriman is only here until January and could play higher and may go.