Skip to content

Match day thread: Notts County

Comments

• Not a great start...

• Harriman on a bit of a hot streak at the moment.

• AAH equalises 2-2.

• Doubt we'd have got a point without the sending off

• Game sounded dire. Why GA doesn't make subs earlier is beyond me. A point is a point nevertheless, but 10 minutes, to make a difference.

Anyway, see you'll Saturday and Weather app, says it's dry and sunny.

• boring hoof ball again for the most part and never looked like winning

• God help us if we play like that against Oxford.

• If we played that badly against a top half team and still managed to get a point we must have done something right

• they were not a good side and the referee was truly awful, bring back Deadman as he isn't on that level.

• County should have lost another man leading with a forearm but the ref bottled the second red . Carroll made a couple of decent saves and to be fair their Warwick Davies lookalike caused us problems and we need to return to the pressing game that works for us and hope for a better performance Saturday .

• Im not confident with our central defence pairing at present, Stewart lacks composure and seems to have a mistake waiting to happen. Where as if you bring Rowe into partner Pierre, he seems to lack the physical strength to play CB at present.
    What we could for a Mawson or Dohety to be a cool head amongst our cental two.

• I've obviously missed something but is Sido injured?

• @Morris_Ital not only did he not send him off, he didn't even give him a yellow! Seemed rather lenient for an elbow to the throat I thought.

• @MindlessDrugHoover - from the Offal match report - The Blues made one change from the side that were victorious at Millwall in the FA Cup, with the returning Joe Jacobson filling in for Sido Jombati, who missed the match for personal reasons.
    Read more at http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/article/live-wycombe-vs-notts-county-2853099.aspx#wxepgvcdEkDCxsv1.99

• Thanks for that - never read the Offal. Hope all is well for him.

• PBoPBo
    edited December 2015

the ref definitely bottled the decision where their player elbowed Holloway, but I think not that far previously there was a really ropey shove by Pierre on their guy with the dreads in the penalty area and nothing came of that either. Basically the ref seemed completely reluctant to give anything unless the lino was sure it was an offence.

Did anyone actually see what led to the sending-off? Judging by the views on the Notts County board Liam Noble (he of the early bath) has considerable form for being a petulant knob so no-one was surprised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33962622

• That's 10 points from our last 11 league games. Not promotion form and we need to get on the winning trail. Forget the cup we need some league form.

• personally I'd rather we get as far as we can in the cup this season and use any proceeds to strengthen the squad, if in the unlikely event we did go up this season we'd get slaughtered in the division above without money to build the team.

Although to be fair we've got plenty of other bills to pay so I won't cry if GA doesn't see any of the extra money for players.

• Agreed PBo. We were spoilt last year and this season's squad doesn't compare. A top 10 finished should be considered a success, all things considered, and a good cup run, or just a couple of lucrative ties against Prem opposition, would be a massive boost.

Saying that, a decent creative midfielder in on loan and I can see us sneaking into the play-offs.

• I cannot make midweek matches so I cannot comment on last night...it is however worrying that making subs too late is still an issue. I trust GA knows what he is doing, but sometimes it is very frustrating when you can see fresh legs are required that it's often 80 mins before any changes are made. I still reckon we can make the play-offs, but it will be a big ask and will be a great result with the players we have at present. Is Saunders actually getting a game at Brentford? Call in the loan arranger...

• @Wendoverman, same here. I was listening and following the live text commentary and for a large part a few players (not naming them) where commiting alot of fouls, miss passing and off the pace after we scored.

To me the match was screaming for fresh legs and more composure in and around their box. Keep the ball.....

We have played against 10 men a few times and for some unknown reason it makes no damn difference as the opposing side seem to break and attack at will.

Passing to feet, multiply times and keeping the ball seems out of our reach. To hear the opposition have broke sends me an anxiety attack.

• @Blue_since_1990 Get over it, the cash from the cup helps the club immensely, a win over AV would take earnings over 200k plus the earnings from the next round.

As it is, it doesn't seem like we can score from a propper attacking move, even the second on Saturday began when Haysey won the ball back (having passed it to a NC player in the first place!) and we were on the counter.

So Holloway glances it in, lovely header, and turns to celebrate... no wait, he is trudging back to the half way line as if it wan an own goal he'd scored! What's up with that? I see the lad has talent but when is he going to grow out of his indifference and enjoy his job, the crowning achievement of which is scoring to set up a grand finale.

And that is where the highlights ended, meaning that the finale was anything but grand, and judging by the comments on here the whole game was much the same.

Rant over, but to come full circle to my first point about the FA cup, if that is what it takes to get the players excited over playing the (occasionally) beautiful game, I'd take a run in the cup and mid-table mediocrity this season for sure!

Might even buy us the training ground back too.

• "it doesn't seem like we can score from a propper attacking move" - literally no idea what this means

• Just that last night our two goals came from counters, so what will it take for us to get a goal building from the back? Or, and I mean this literally, is that too much to ask with the current squad/management?

• Nors - you seem to be agreeing with me regarding our level of play in league games. I obviously appreciate the value of a good cup run but the league is our bread and butter and we need to concentrate on it as we can easily slip down this league if we don't.

I am not expecting results near to last season as we do not have the same quality in our squad. We have also reverted to long ball tactics, which is horrible to watch, and that made it harder to break down ten man Notts County on a wet TUESDAY night. To be honest, even with ten men they looked more positive than us.

• it is rumoured, although not known for sure, that our playing budget is one of the six lowest in the division. IF this is the case, would you regard a top ten finish and a run to Rd3 of the Cup as a) bloody amazing b) OK but nothing special c) poor really. Last year proved can reach playoffs with small budgets so really as a minimum should be able to do that again this season.

Q2) if the manager came to you and said., "OK guys you have a choice. We don't have the budget for pretty players this year. I've looked, believe me I've looked, but I cant find players allowing us to play as attractively as last season and win. So you have a choice. We can play hoof ball and I reckon we can finish top half maybe scrape the playoffs OR we can play pretty passing football but if we do I reckon we'll be down the bottom possibly flirting with relegation if we get a few injuries." Genuine but hypothetical question, what would you choose and instruct the manager to do?"

• There have been a few comments in this thread regarding the lateness of the introduction of substitutes. What surprised me even more last night was that, when finally Thompson was brought on to provide fresh legs in attack, it was Amadi-Holloway who got replaced and not Hayes. Hayes, by that time, was four or five yards off the pace and unable to get close enough when the Notts County defenders had the ball to put them under any pressure whatsoever, let alone to win the ball off them.

Yes, Hayes had been involved in the build-up to both Wycombe goals earlier in the match, but by the time 70 minutes were on the clock he was pretty much finished as an effective attacking threat and, for me, should have been replaced.

• I hear you mate, but the bread and butter will come in anyway barring relegation, whereas the cup currency is a full Christmas spread if we win a couple of games against PL opposition.

I came over from Norway for Charlton and Chelsea and we beat a bottom of the PL Fulham too I recall, A decent cup run could reduce our debt/renegotiate the training ground and leave some change for a loanee superstar. Not to mention the publicity it would generate, which the Trust could use to their advantage by getting rich philanthropists with a love of the underdog to contribute to our climb out of the red and into the Blue. Believe!

But I digress, the key for me would be to concentrate on getting the ball down in any weather and finishing, finishing, finishing. We looked a step off the pace, hopefully we will sharpen up as the games come thick and fast. Having the wherewithall to keep formation and completing a pass when not under pressure should be given as a professional and I do have faith in Gaz so why aren't we creating goals from the back/a proper attack?

• Judging by what I've seen so far the playoffs is, a big ask, but not entirely out of the picture. Also, depressing as it is when we have a great player like Harriman for a season, it IS L2 and we are a small club so I would take points over pretty play.

• I still think the bench is not utilised well though...surely it is worth bringing on Banton or Kretch for more than five minute cameos?