Skip to content

i wonder if superfan will act up at millwall like at halifax??

Interesting to witness this

Comments

• Whom may i ask is super fan

• what about wimbledon or yeovil

• The guy from halifax who was arguing with the stewards, running up and down the walkways and slapping anyone not singing

• @wycombelad said:
    The guy from halifax who was arguing with the stewards, running up and down the walkways and slapping anyone not singing

Didn't see him slapping anyone, but wouldn't of been suprised as he was a total knobhead.

• How would you notice one "total knobhead" among our supporters - many of whom were showing their class by chanting "that's why you're going down", once we were safely 4-0 up, at little old Halifax who have struggled back from oblivion by re-forming, do not own their ground, will quite possibly lose their NL status at the end of the season and probably have less money even than us. They deserved a bit more respect than that - in my opinion.

Having said all that I will concede that the bloke in question was a bit of a burke - his performance in front of the stewards and plod was completely over the top. One of our supporters, who was much closer to the incident than I, told me that his language was off the scale and could not understand how he escaped being slung out.

• @wycombelad @Ryan_W Lol I think he would have got a slap back! TBH I could not remember If I have ever seen him before.

• He was at Stevenage albeit far less animated. Big gob, though.

• I bet he's on the Facebook group.

• @M3G @Ryan_W you guys were sat in a position where he could slap you on the back. He was running up and down the aisle slapping people telling them to sing up. The people he chose were either elderly or scared, as you say never seen the guy before which made the whole thing comical

• How could he tell they were scared?

• The look on the 1st kids face of terror or the old guy who nearly fell out the chair were a good indication

• He was a total knob-head who firstly should have been chucked out and then nicked by the old Bill for his language and general demeanour. The steward lacked any bottle when he was being threatened. He was acting up for the home fans, the big I am scenario.

• Maybe he needs to be treated to the All Blacks induction for new upstart players. Take him away from view and give him a good kicking. Seems to have worked quite well for them.

• Never seen the guy before and because I had the audacity to not be chanting at one point (one of the singers so normally am for near 90 minutes), he started shouting at me telling me to get behind the team.
    Quite ironic considering he's the one I've never seen at a game before.

• @wycombelad fair enough. Didn't someone have a word?

• Somebody should have given him a sly slap by the sound of it. I wasn't there but i've met some right clowns following Wycombe over many years but this fella sounds like an utter ****!

• This guy does indeed sound like he needs a slap himself but lets face it we do have some of the best behaved fans in football do we not ? considering most peoples grim view of the amount of yobs and violence in High Wycombe and the surrounding areas traditional view that it is a dump I think we are lucky to not replicate this at the football club !

• As I have said already - the bloke was a bit of a twit. However, no matter how irritating his antics were it should be noted that:-
    1. He was trying to get behind our team;
    2. He was not, as far as I could see, trying to provoke the opposition fans; nor was he barracking Sam Wood every time he touched the ball- unlike some of our magnificent section of so-called singing supporters.

Robin says he has met a few clowns following the club over the years - well there are one or two (quite apart from the main subject of this thread) who are still around.

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2015

@wycombelad why do you think he was from Halifax? Edit...sorry just realised you meant at Halifax

• Provoke the opposition fans ? in my experience this is part and parcel of a lot of chanting from every set of fans I have ever experienced ! or do you mean genuinely provoke violence and I have miss-understood you ?

• Suggest you read my post dated 10th November which fully explains my point.

• Well as you will not directly answer my question I can only conclude from what I read that you disagree with negative or unpleasant chanting at the opposition fans .

• @AlgernonFudgebucket Good point re the barracking of Sam Wood and one or two others. That was embarrassing.

• I have to say I have been highly frustrated with Wood this season but barracking him will not help his confidence and he does appear to be trying his best even if he is not delivering . I didn't see him at Halifax so I don;t know if he was any better. I think Sellers should be given a go in this position but barracking a man who has made such an impact during the previous 2 seasons makes no sense to me at all .

• Bourne70 - you say that you have read it and so you have now answered your own question.

In the interests of clarity I will go further for you and for anyone else who cares.
    It is clear to me that adults who turn up at a football match pretending that they are there to watch the game, but who for long periods pay little heed to the action taking place on the pitch because they are too busy chanting insults at the opposing supporters or making offensive gestures to them, from the safety of a segregated section of the ground, surrounded by police and/or stewards are an offence to genuine supporters of any club, or of football in general. Their moronic antics have no place in civilised society, and heap disrepute upon our club. @NewburyWanderer - you are right, they are an embarrassment.

Despite their pre-occupation with, on the latest occasion, a Halifax fan with little hair on top (and roundly abused as "baldy", naturally enough) and what he and his pals were getting up to some way further along the home stand - a stand it might be remembered that this chap most probably sits in twenty odd times a season - our faithful "singers" were still able to turn their full concentration, and derision, upon one of our own players: a player moreover who although possibly not currently in the best of form has never given anything less than 100% every time I have seen him wear the "quarters", and has given our club sterling service for the last three seasons, and counting (sorry bourne70 but it is three seasons not two), and well over one hundred appearances.

How is that "supporting your team"? These puerile idiots ought to take a long look at themselves and grow up - preferably somewhere other than in the pub.

• @AlgernonFudgebucket Spot on in every respect - POTD.

• I agree the barracking of wood by two individuals week in week out is embarassing.
    A bit of banter with opposing fans is part abd parcel of the game

• @AlgernonFudgebucket . I agree Wood should be given more respect and I have already said this . I do think you are being a little unrealistic about opposing fans taunting each other . Every club has these without exception and it has been part of the match experience for as long as the game has been played . It obviously makes you very angry but I think you may be taking it a bit too seriously . It is banter , there were plenty of opposing fans revelling in our brush with relegation and abusing us too and it is always going to happen. I would suggest you just need to relax a little in this area . There is no question that it is appreciated by the players and manager as part of a loud atmosphere and it can also give them a psychological edge during the match . I do not accept racist , sexual prejudices or personal attacks in sensitive matters as acceptable but to want a crowd full of well behaved , respectful people who have no wish to provoke the opposition or upset anyone is unrealistic in such an emotional game . I had my cousins come across from the states last year and they experienced their first football match in England down at AP .Part of the experience they remembered was the banter . It made the experience fun for them and one that made it an "English football " experience . They are very respectful people and very educated (one a lawyer) . They saw it for what it was and appreciated it as part of the history and fabric of the game . You are entitled to your opinion of course and I respect this but surely you have chosen the wrong sport to watch if it angers you so much . You can not get away from the fact that our supporters are statistically one of the best behaved in football and I think you need to keep this in mind

• I have mixed feelings on singers in general and ours in particular.

A vibrant atmosphere is what makes live football special. Our singers can often create that and that can help to turn a mundane occasion in to a memorable one. The atmosphere all created at Torquay for example will live long in the memory. On occasions possibly good support of the team (but not mindless slating the opposition I suggest) can possibly positively influence the outcome on the pitch.

I have no objction to a bit of banter with the opposition either - as long as it is banter and not mindless witless abuse (thats dull and boring at best downright embarrassing at worst) and as long as it has a little bit of wit and originality. It really isnt clever to shout "XXXX is a shithole" when the town is clearly nicer than yours (York is an example), it is not clever to shout murderer at Plymouth's goalkeeper as a form of mirth, it is not clever to replicate the same old witless abuse that you have heard from others.
    Then it gets embarrassing and counter-productive IMHO.

Our singers could choose to be special and unique - to positively support their team , not criticise their own, refuse to recycle other teams abusive songs, be witty and original
    (so for example a chorus of "we're just a small town near Chesham" may be appropriate at Bristol in a month or so) and seek to create a positive impression. It can and has been done, for example at Sheffield a couple of years ago. If they do they could be a real asset to the club. Too often they casually toss away this opportunity by arguing with stewards and cleverly chanting "c*nt at an opposition player and being a little lairy, nothing compared with hooligans of the past but just being dicks - as it would apppear a few were at Wealdstone this week. And when they do that they just become boring "me too" pale impressions of all the other clubs. And thats a shame, they could and often are much better than that.

• edited November 2015

Whatever you think of their form, once a player is on the pitch, I agree that targetted barracking of them is pointless and does no good. Last season, I forget the game, after one misplaced pass (during a decent peformance) in front of the Beechdean someone shouted 'You're rubbish Wood' and an exasperated Sam turned to the stand with his arms open saying 'Really? Really?' and went off shaking his head. What was the point of that? Was that encouragement? Luckily, the fellow in question kept stumm for the rest of the game as I suspect the grumbling of those around him had some effect.
    Having said that, insulting the opposition is all part and parcel of the game, though a bit more wit would be nice...you're shitaaaaaaaaaaaa!