Skip to content

Match day thread: Carlisle

2»

Comments

• Attended yesterday somewhat worried at the poor run developing but after the first 20 minutes which I thought was the best football I've seen all season, the turning point for me was the sending off. After that we seemed to sink back into being a little complacent taking our foot off the pedal and I feared what eventually happened. Once they scored you could see exactly what the game plan would be and we just seemed to lose composure and some desire. I think on the balance of play a lucky draw.

However, if we can get back to the standard of that first 20 minutes and build on that then we will get over this slump. Players don't suddenly become crap.

On the howls about time wasting lets not kid ourselves that we would not do exactly the same thing away from home, 1-0 up and down to 10 men. We should not have got into that situation in the first place. We also need to NOT be getting on the players backs as confidence once lost is hard to get back.

We've had a fantastic 18 months but lets not fool ourselves we would not hit a slump sometime. Now is the time to stand up and be counted as a supporter.

Win together and lose together One Team

• Almost a carbon copy of what I was going to post @Pete so thanks for saving me the effort!

I said at the time that the sending off wouldn't do us any favours as it was obvious what would happen. We'd been great for the first 20+ minutes and I think if it had stayed 11v11 we'd have won the game, as we were getting a lot of joy spreading play and using the wings, it was only a matter of time before we scored.

And the bit about players not suddenly becoming crap - when Sam Wood went off yesterday I heard someone behind me say "Good, I fucking hate Sam Wood - he's shit." I know he's not been in great form yet this season but it's just unbelievable that someone can think that, given how much he contributed to our success last season, and how much we missed him on the wing when he was stuck at left back the season before. Some people have such short memories.

• I agree Wood is not a "crap" player and he deserves more respect with what he had given the team over the last few years . I do however think he is playing "crap" at the moment and that Sellers should start . Sellers is a naturally left sided player and seems to offer an awful lot more than Wood is currently offering . I know a few on here have pointed out there my be reasons beyond the wit of your average fan as to why Ainsworth decides not to do this but for me he did more in his 8 or so minutes than Wood did in the previous 70 and I think he would offer a lot more threat from the left wing . Just my uneducated opinion of course but one I happen to believe carries some weight .

• There are a few players that were better last season so you've Got to ask yourself why is this???

• I thought Wood had a better game yesterday. Not up to his previous standards but he showed signs of improvement - hopefully that will continue as he gains match fitness.
    And as much as I hope Sellers does turn out to be as good as people are hoping, I don't remember much of his cameo yesterday except him miscontrolling it out into touch when trying to run down the wing. Although for some reason JJ seemed reluctant to give him the ball - several times he came inside even though Sellers was an option out wide.

In answer to @scarlet I don't think there's one answer to that. I'd say it's a combination of several reasons; some people over-performing last season, which it just isn't possible to keep up; injuries which have led to inconsistency in the starting eleven, plus less chance to give people a breather; general weight of expectation causing extra pressure which in turn leads to more mistakes and indecision; etc...

• I was pleased to see the team today start with a wide attacking threat but was very disappointed to see Sellers not given the start his performances from the bench have deserved. Wood was inaffective again and that for me is a slight concern, whilst last season he was instrumental in our great season we don't have the quality in midfield to support his style of play. I thought bean battled hard in midfield but again seemed more keen to lay it off to the sides and whilst I think O'Nien is a great acquisition for us, It sometimes looks like his small size means he can get wrestled off the ball far too easily but his heart and determination has to be applauded.

We started well as other others have pointed out but there does seem to be a lack of confidence at present in front of goal with players snatching at chances or being overly hesitant, the red card for me was never a red as it looked a decent 50/50 ball and if anything worked in Carlisle' favour. As has been stated before on here we started to drop back more and allow them more time on the ball.

Everytime they were awarded a set piece I always worried that they would grab a goal of which they did but I was more concerned to see McCarthy and Pierre arguing in the first half. I personally really like McCarthy and I hope he stays longer, they way he urges his team mates on with claps of encouragement and talks to all Of them is comendable.

As we looked to chase the game the decision to bring on ugwu instead of sellers was a baffling one as we reverted to a 433 again and the long balls soon followed, ironic cheers from the crowd as we passed the ball briefly along the surface should not have gone unnoticed by GA. Sellers introduction once again gave us more attacking impetus as the game wore down and we got a very fortunate equaliser. I am still not convinced that all is well in the camp and GA's post match words on BBC Three Counties troubled me somewhat. He said he was happy with the performance and would have said the same thing had we lost.

Yes we are a small club, yes we have a small squad and yes last season was exceptional. But for me I worry that the team currently is not altogether as it should be. Infighting and I'll discipline from players does not bode well for the future.

• After we made subs, we then decided to play on the deck and made some inroads. Why we hoof it for majority of our games annoys me and look at the results.

We need an intelligent ball player/maker in midfield not just ball stoppers and get in their way players. Plus a winger which I still believe Banton could do a job if given a run and told plainly and simply go and do your stuff.

Also someone at the back who is comfortable bringing it out and passing the bloody thing.

Anyway nice to see a 4/4/2 and a slight improvement even though it was against 10 men

Grass does not grow up in the air, so why play up there.

• In future I'd like to see a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 with wing backs
    Gk Ingram
    LCB McCarthy
    CB Pierre
    RCB Jombati
    LWB Jacobson
    RWB Harriman
    CDM Bean
    LCM McGinn
    RCM O'nien
    CF Hayes
    ST Thompson or Holloway

This formation requires a lot of practice on team cohesion and shape but offers a lot. Wide men, Two strikers and three in centre midfield.

• Now that looks like an exciting attacking team of "Gormanesque" proportions.

• Good shout Leo, excepting the inclusion of McGinn. Rowe, Bloomfield or even Kretzschmar would be far more effective than McGinn.