Skip to content

Match day thread: Carlisle

Comments

• The wording of this tweet suggests no Rowe again today. Have I missed some news?

• At least ugwu is on the bench pity Ingram is injured .

• Player was dropping out quite often and now there is white noise.....

• were back

• No idea what happened as all was fine here. I think we are back up and running now.

• So much better today. Night and day compared to Tuesday. COYB

• What an embarrassment,...losing to 10 men relegation here we come

• No shots so far...whats going on? No shot until 70 mins last week either!

• Get in there Hayes

• Ummh 10 men.

• I get the impression some 'fans' on here would rather we'd lost, so they could carry on moaning. Bit sad really.

• Great point hopefully the turning point if you excuse the pun

• Was certainly a lot better than Tuesday

• BSEBSE
    edited October 2015

Although disappointing to only get a draw (which I would have taken at the start) after playing 10 men for 70 mins, the first have performance was a massive improvement on the last few games. As others have said hopefully the turning point.

• I thought we looked pretty decent today.

We looked especially threatening when we get it on the floor (that old chesnut). With some technically proficient and composed players in Jacobson, Jombati, O'Nien, Harriman, Hayes and AAH, we should really try it on the deck at the start of games rather than during the last 10 minutes when we are losing.

Bean was good in the challenge, but still looks like he suffers from dyspraxia on the ball. Wood was once again anonymous... unless Banton was a troublemaker I don't understand why Ainsworth couldn't have given him gametime.

• It just sounded on player like we never believed we would score, three on target of thirteen shots means target practice with a smaller set of posts is surely a starting point. There appears to be some air gone out of the rock and roll bubble, or do you think it's just a matter of post, bar and inches between us and a decent run?

• On another day Bean's shot wouldn't of hit the crossbar, and Hayes' overhead kick would have snuck inside the far post. I think we have had our fair share of bad luck and injuries and that a spectacular winning run will happen before the season is over.

• We were far better today than against Stevenage & Newport. The sending off made Carlisle up there game. Ironically when Curle took off the big lad up front was when we got back into the game. Theres the rub, not Ainsworth changing the game. Hayes patently not fit but still comes up with the goal to secure the draw I felt we fully deserved.

• Much better and a damn sight more going forward . I would still like to see Sellers get more game time , he did more in his 8 minutes or so than Wood did when he was on . Wood still seems over weight to me and completely ineffective . Good point and well deserved .

• Dire hoofball for much of the second half after another poor setpiece concession.

But first half much, much better than Stevenage and (I gather) Newport; a formation more like the one many on this forum have been asking for; much more width.

Plus a clever goal by Hayes that showed how much we need his intelligence and experience. And, as @bill_stickers says, on another day Bean's shot and/or some of out other chances would have gone in.

All in all 1) We've not been as lucky with injuries as last year. 2) The small squad's not as good as last year's starting small squad but 3) It's not at all bad (Harriman, O'Nien), and there's a danger of getting the recent run of losses - like our excellent start - out of proportion.

So reckon we've a fighting chance of making the playoffs if there are few further injuries and the loan decisions in the New Year turn out well.

• After the Newport match, I left the ground feeling relieved that I was flying out Friday and not obliged to return to watch the turgid offerings of the last month. I gather we played a 4 4 2 and kept the ball on the floor with width today or am I misreading the situation? Followed the game on the bbc and thought when I saw one sent off we would go to 3-5-2 and go for the jugular. It didn't happen then?

• This is a step in the right direction, the players were moving and working for each other more than was evident on Tuesday. Hayes's goal look like it should have been dealt with by the man on the line, but he inexplicably let it sail in over his head - a bit of luck after it looked like it had deserted us when Bean hit the bar with a fantastic effort. Still a lot of room for improvement, though a point was fair in the end considering our performance.

• I couldn't be at the Newport game but I shudder to think how bad it must have been if others are suggesting that today was significantly better.

I thought we did ok for 25 minutes but were terrible after the sending off. Earlier in the season (Hartlepool?) we were patient and got the ball wide against ten men. Toda we just hoofed it and kept giving away fouls to allow carlisle to waste time.

Bean played well. To me he looks better in a midfield two. The rest were quite poor.

In the end we created quite a few opportunities in the last ten minutes but that was only because carlisle foolishly went to sitting on the edge of their penalty area. Had they kept playing, we would not have got a goal.

We seem to be playing without much belief today. Final ten minutes aside, none of the players really looked like they had the confiedence to take a gamble on across or a flick on and get in a position to score.

Would have taken this position at the start of the season but the recent performances have me worried. I now cant make a couple of games but I would not be surprised to find us in the bottom half by the time Wimbledon comes around.

• In a short time on the field Ryan Sellers showed that he can actually cross a ball properly, i.e. with just enough pace, curl and spin to make it hard to defend. Too many "crosses" are just banged in with more hope than anything else. Putting in proper crosses is an art that only a few players seem to have. All in all a much better performance giving cause for optimism.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I doubt whether Anthony Stewart will be playing until early December at best.

• I thought Ainsworth got one-and-a-half of the three problems sorted today.

The formation was right at 4-4-2. Credit to GA for realising things had to change and not persisting with the failing 4-3-3.

Player selection was better with what is approaching our best 11, apart from Lynch, of course. However Sam Wood clearly isn't the player he once was and shouldn't be an automatic pick when fit. It's time Sellers got a start, he looks lively. I'm also not convinced McCarthy offers more in defence than Rowe, when he returns from his illness. And at 34 it's probably time to give Thomson a rest for a match and play Hayes and Holloway up front together.

The problem Ainsworth clearly hasn't yet solved though is style of play. Despite having the width of a 4-4-2 the defence had clearly been instructed to hoof it up field at all opportunity, particularly in the second half. Constant balls over the top of O'Nien meant he was pretty stymied. While Bean seems content with chasing down and winning back the ball (and did it brilliantly today) when O'Nien wins the ball he always gets it to another Wycombe player - and when we reverted to playing the ball on the deck in the last 15 mins he made lots of the chances. Neither Hayes nor Thomson have the energy or height to win long balls punted aimlessly and we're not getting the best out of the wingers that way either. Play on the deck, play Sellers and Harriman on the wings, feed the ball through to O'Nien and up to the strikers and we will score more than one lucky, last-minute goal.

• Well that was a better performance, so glad the skipper is back and stays fit. He really brings out the best in Thomson and AAH. I dislike dropping anybody but at the moment it would be wood and uwgu for me.