Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage

2»

Comments

• I agree Blue_since_1990 even the games that got us to top spot where not pretty . We had a lock tight defence which is what won us those games . the forward play was uninspiring but we were taking our chances . We are not taking then at the moment , today we did not create them and our lock tight defence seems to be going through a bad spell . I also think we were riding ur luck in a few games . Barnet away being one example , where we should have been three nil down at half time . I find it all a little worrying but hopefully GA can put it right .

• I may be the only one who noticed this but the playground style half time sub kick around gave me every indication that Gaz had no intention of bringing on any subs. I think he was saving the rest for Tuesday and was forced into doing something by their second goal.

But at least we know how many kick ups Alex Lynch can do now, and that Holloway can balance the ball on his shoulder for several seconds at a time if absolutely necessary.

• We have to start with Harriman. Simple - he's probably our best player so why would GA put him on the bench? Doesn't make any sense.

• Agree with @Quarterman, With one addition. I predicted that Max Kretsc ,,,,,,,,, oh, you know who I mean - would score today and I think he will quickly adapt to the "fox in the box" role. I would keep him in the starting line-up.

• Max is ok but not a left winger... We need to play with width... When we played football we rippes stevenage apart in the last 15. To everyone slagging Gozie off, yes he has been poor but what service is he getting.... Today he was having balls ainlessly hoofed forward at him...alot nowhere near him

• Re Harriman... He must not have been fit, there can be no other explaination for starting bloomfield on right mid

• Everyone could see how awful we were in the first half. Why did we not change it at half time, subs are still being used far to late. Matty Ingram will not be going anywhere until he learns to control his area.

• Wycombe lad is correct in my opinion . Every time we have bought on subs who add width this season we have played our best football . It aint just Gozie who looks toothless, Thompson has scored goals for fun in his career and he is looking very un likely to score at the moment either . There is simply no service to the front so neither player stands a chance and therefore I think it's a bid unfair for them to be judged as the problem. We bring Harriman and Sellars on and it looks like we will score every time we go forward but this is only happening in the last quarter of games . The manager repeatedly states that we like to" play football on the deck but we can mix it up when needed" .....in my view we are now playing a brand of hoof ball and the "mix up" bit seems to be the wrong way around . Playing on the deck certainly is not our default setting , hoofing the ball seems to be and "playing on the deck" comes too little too late .

• Spot on bourne.

• I feel for the strikers having the ball hoofed at them constantly. I remember Fred huffing when coming on as sub too, like here we go again run his ass off watching the ball go over his head. let's play some football and give our strikers some good service or change it in mid field it's getting boring.

• While I certainly enjoy those last 20 minutes where we see goalmouth scramble after goalmouth scramble, it must be said that it is often also as a result of the opposition changing tactics drastically as well. I have a feeling it's s combination of our sudden width and the desire of the opposition to sit back and let us come at them. Not sure it would have the exact same effect from minute 0. That doesn't mean we can't try passing the ball around a bit though!

• edited October 2015

@wycombelad said:
    Max is ok but not a left winger... We need to play with width... When we played football we rippes stevenage apart in the last 15. To everyone slagging Gozie off, yes he has been poor but what service is he getting.... Today he was having balls ainlessly hoofed forward at him...alot nowhere near him

Their 1st goal was a result from typical pass from our midfield, chase this team mate calamity. Who was that pass intended for ? as it was nowhere near him.

Do they pass like that in training to each other ?
    I bet not, to me it shows lack of quality or confidence as it's predictable our direct route up the pitch is all we can muster atm. Also our set pieces have gone to sh!tt and the amount of times we defend, win the ball and turn to smash it as far up the pitch is endless.

We need a few who can play quality football that means pass, through balls, move into space and be confident when we got the ball thus provide service which evidently we are not doing. Like I said it's all well on the training ground with their bibs on, laughing and talking to each other like buddies but on match day it's plain to see we are not communicating as our players are nowhere near each other or supporting one another, so resort to hoofing it instead i.e not dominating possession, if we keep the ball the opposition can't score.

The look on the faces of a few of players and their gait says it all. We are serving up rubbish and expect miracles. Try something else like "Keep the ball on deck" may bring different results and put smiles back on a few players and get the best from them.

Same thing happened to Fred, came to us guns a blazing, taken defenders on from the wing scoring having fun, to then having the ball hoofed over his head and crap service, then he too got disillusioned and didn't want to be involved in games.

• @johnthehair Agreed, Whilst everyone focus on the bizarre misjudgment on the 1st goal. It's the nature of the second goal that once again concerns me. A corner put in no more than a few feet out, but Ingram remains rooted to his line. These should be meat and drink for keepers. As good as a shot stopper he is, Ingram continued struggle to deal with corners and crosses is worrying.

• Surely if we give the young wingers and AAH a chance...even if their delivery is poor they can at least wear the defence out a bit and add a bit of excitement. Thompson should be playing up-front and picking up chances....he is the closest we have to a fox...but he spends most of his time a mile away from the box. Not his fault.

• edited October 2015

Very interesting Sky Sports football analysis by Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville tonight about the distance between CH, CM and CF should be around 30-35 metres for a high intence pressure game and being close enough to support each other when one wins pocession.

Love to see how our statistcs fair with the GPS tracking gear, wonder if they can analysis our posistioning between are spine too ?

• Carragher and Neville were great managers weren't they?

• edited October 2015

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Carragher and Neville were great managers weren't they?

Didn't say they where. They where discussing high intensity pressure game (hunt in packs) and the fact that players need to be close to each other in order support, once they won the ball back, which is in contrast to us winning possession and launching the ball up field and whinging we don't score enough goals and a few players look disinterested.

The fact Carragher and Neville where at top clubs for a very long careers and one is assisting with the England team has nothing to do with it.