Skip to content

Steve Evans leaves Rotherham

2»

Comments

• @AttitudeEra said:
    I heard a rumour that Chesham would be very interested in a manager like Gaz.

Oh no, that's it then - we've lost him.. Who could resist the lure of those sleeping giants?

• @robin said:
    I'm sure he'll only leave if the deal financially suits WWFC as i can't see him leaving us in a bad position because of the faith shown in him by the club in difficult times when most clubs would have sacked him with1 win in 17 games at one point 2 seasons ago.

Let's not forget that wasn't down to 'faith' it was lack of money. We got very lucky and I'm really glad it worked out so well.

I wouldn't begrudge him a move in the slightest - he owes us nothing after what he's already achieved.

• That Ainsworth outlived the chairman who damned him with faint praise is very much to his advantage.

With his long hair, rock bands, Ford Mustang and taking the squad on a trip to the World War 1 battlefields, there is something more rounded, almost not football about him. The horizons of many retired footballers, even if they don't go into management, extends no further than the local golf club. In my view he sets a very good example to the younger squad members of how not to get sucked into the herd mentality which football can engender. In this respect it's unfortunate that we don't currently have a youth team.

If anybody in football is capable of putting quality of life above sheer material gain then it might be him. On the other hand...

• If you read the article on BBC sport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34401136) it sounds like he has no plans to go anywhere for some time.

• swop deal with Andy Leese and Barry Hayles as our new centre forward at nearly 50

• Cheating Barry Hayles.

• Terry Butcher has left Newport. Ex-pilgrim boss John Sheridan the favourite to take the job. Can Newport survive ?

• Terry Butcher has left Newport. Ex-pilgrim boss John Sheridan the favourite to take the job. Can Newport survive ?

• @micra said:
    mooneyman - it matters not a jot or tittle to us unless GA suddenly takes a notion to uproot to deepest Yorkshire (which I guess is exactly what you had at the back of your mind). I think this thread needs a new heading to reflect the pointless speculation about GA's immediate future. Let's just bask in the glory of our current success.

GA is a special person - a rarity among football managers in this day and age - and he may well be content to settle for a relatively modest income at a club he loves and in an environment and with a group of people that he seems to be very happy with. I think it is highly unlikely that he will be lured away before the '17/'18 season.

Meanwhile, could tonight be the night for the "thumbing" which Ciderk1d is anticipating? Maybe tonight's the night!!

Someone (team) is heading for a serious thumb(p)ing by the blues, it's a coming.

This bloody keyboard will be the death of me.

• No worries Cider! I haven't seen Vital Preview for tomorrow but Northampton are one of those sides we always seem to have some kind of a problem with and I reckon 1-1 or a narrow victory one way or the other is the likely outcome so no thumping yet.

I think it was against Northampton last season that Matt Ingram committed a rare howler with a speculative looping shot dropping into top left of goal. And Matt will also wish to forget the return fixture when a collision with (the much missed) Sam Wood put him out of the play-offs. And I have a feeling that Northampton's home defeat by Oxford on the final day of the previous season could well have resulted in our relegation but for that miracle at Ashton Gate. (In retrospect, can't think how that mattered because surely Oxford were not vulnerable to the drop, were they? I'm sure someone will put me straight on that and any other senior memory failures in this post! And of course any other instances of problems in matches against the Cobblers would be of interest.)

• Miracle at Ashton Gate?

• I'm afraid I wasn't at the match in Torquay but followed the final stages of the Bristol v Mansfield match on-line. No-one would have given the Stags a hope of victory before the game but they somehow snatched a goal and then, for the last quarter of an hour, withstood pressure that made the Siege of the Alamo look like a primary school bun-fight so, to my fevered brain, it felt like a miracle!

Since my earlier post, I've looked at the final table for '13/'14 on the Vital site and realise that I got it completely wrong about the Northampton v Oxford game. The sainted Chris Wilder had moved to Northampton from Oxford (where he had been replaced by Gary Waddock!) and although Oxford took an early lead to raise Wycombe hopes, the Cobblers came back to win. Had they lost, they would have finished below Wycombe on goal difference but I'm not sure if they would have been below Brizzle. It matters not.

• Ashton Gate is the home of Bristol City...

• X_ray eyes I reckon. Wondered when someone was going to spot that! No, I lie. When I wrote it I had a niggling feeling I'd got it wrong but too lazy (busy??) to check.

• QPR would be a poisoned chalice. At the moment GA is learning his trade with a supportive Chairman and (for now) fans. That may change in the next few months, who knows. Look at what happened to Clough and Ince, who were both doing a decent job at our level, but bounced up out of their comfort zone. They may have the money...who knows...but have not exactly been successful. I reckon that unless a completely monstrous deal comes through that no side can resist...GA will, like Jimmy Flloyd, want a promotion or two under his belt before he takes a high pressure...possibly no gain...career damaging move. Of course...I could be wrong.