Skip to content

Match Report: Plymouth

2»

Comments

• Actually thats exactly how I took RITM comment. Maybe I misinterpreted what he was saying.

Prosser was not particularly popular elsewhere either. http://www.footballforums.net/showthread.php/52678-Paul-Prosser-what-a

• then your post makes even less sense than I originally thought, which is an outstanding achievement

• On a thread apparently replete with misunderstandings, I think you have misunderstood my last post (probably my fault to be fair). I took RITM post to be a rather pathetic attempt at implying racist overtones to Chris comment (which clearly wasnt there) by implying it was necessarily racist to say two black players look similar.

As i say it is possible I misunderstood RITM motives.

• no he wasn't - he was implying that if you were to say that two black players looked alike, even when they don't, then that is probably racist

• Well if that was the point he was making, (and frankly I am a little sceptical) then plainly I misunderstood him and was wrong.

• Reading carefully through all your posts I honestly do not think anyone was meaning any offence at all. At the risk of doing so myself I wonder if anyone, like me, finds it quite interesting to note how some of our players actually move in quite distinctive and individual ways. Some of the easiest to spot, in this manner, recently have been Josh Scowen and Aaron Pierre (both walk about as if absolutely knackered within seconds of the start but are still able to shift, rapidly, deep into injury time) Aaron A-H (quite a distinct mover) and young Luke O'Nien (even more distinctive). Try to imagine seeing them in silhouette. Before anyone leaps out of their pram - no racism intended, absolutely none; all cracking players, and very nice young lads.

• Josh scowen had a running style almost identical to Michael Simpsons, lucky they were not about at the same time. agreed Luke O'nien has a very distinctive running style, as did Big Glyn Creaser, Andy Kerr's little footsteps,Kenny Wilson had an extremely bandy legged run. Anthony stewart looks as if he has a slight limp when he runs, and Trevor Aylott never quite made the transition from trot to run.

• Yes - bang on about Anthony Stewart. I can't understand how he moves so fast with that apparent faint limp. And remember wholehearted gutsy Andy Graham - always seemed to sort of drag his feet a bit. Brilliant idiosyncrasies.

• Can you remember ex Northampton full back/winger Josh Lowe ? I have never seen a more agile and supple player, he just used to spring a long like a young fawn. After a lot of interest, he eventually made his move into the top echelons with Leicester, Although strangely his immense potential was never realised and suprisingly to me, he soon found his back down to the bottom two divisions.

• I think Paris Cowan-Hall is up there in terms of agility. The spring he got when jumping from a standing start was remarkable

• Have to admit that watching O'Nien v Plymouth, I felt sure he came out of one particular challenge badly injured. I made a comment to my mate at the time, "he'll be off in a minute". After 5 minutes of waiting to see if he could run it off, I realised it is his natural gait. Watch him closely and you realise he never straightens his knees, they are always partially flexed, which normally is a sign that someone is protecting an injured knee, but in Lukes' case it is how he is. Heaven knows how he covers as much ground as he does?

• This discussion may be about as esoteric as it gets but it makes a refreshing change from the standard fare and it has made me want to look out for what evidently are widely differing gaits/running styles. I've remarked several times during matches that Aaron Pierre looks knackered when he's walking but I hadn't spotted Anthony Stewart's limping run (and sadly won't for some time). Luke O'Nien's running style sounds intriguing - the result of all those keepie-uppies perhaps?!

• Banton looks very ungainly for someone who is supposed to be a speedy winger...

• Forgot to mention Sido! Rather a tall, angular, gangly looking beanpole of a bloke to look at, but, this is deceptive. He is actutally very strong. quick, skillful and a fine dummy/body swerve; but my favourite Sido attribute is the old "telescopic leg" which, when some hapless opposition striker is thinking about shielding the ball from him, comes poking round the side, nicks the ball away and he's off down the pitch. He's always looking for ways to get us going forward, inventive, creative. Love watching Sido.

• Watching Maccy v Kiddy has prompted me of Reece Styche's mother hen running style. Arse out and head forward looked neither pretty or effective. Not the greatest striker to ever have donned a Wanderers shirt.

• Yes, Chas, now you mention it he did look like a big arse but I think he tried quite hard. One of Gibraltar's finest.

• Hi Mr Fudgebucket! Only just seen your piece re Sido. Great description. Legs whippet-thin as well as telescopic. One of football's true eccentrics. Intrigued by reference to him as the last person they would want to be stuck in a lift with by several Wycombe players. Would love to know why. Perhaps a running private joke?

And it took me quite a while (and a process of elimination) to pick him out of the photograph of a group of players at the end of season awards evening. Can't recall the detail now but he certainly appeared to be sporting a colourful dickie bow. Legend.

• Hello @Micra old chap. Regarding the "lift" problem and Sido: I believe he has, by repute, quite an argumentative nature. I think it might have been Blooms who opined that the bloke could start an argument in a telephone box. With the pace of the onset of modern technology Sid will probably soon have to look elsewhere.