Skip to content

Comments

• Very good report as usual although Ugwu's 5 is perhaps a bit harsh on the lively forward. Should have scored but held play up well and showed that we can be a handful.

• Personally thought Ugwu was better than Thompson so a 5 is very unfair. Either Bean or O'Nien were man of the match in my view.

• Sido was definitely MoM in my view. Talking to some Argyle fans in pub after and they thought he was best player on the pitch too. They were also pretty relieved to get all 3 points.

Bean was good again and apart from his miss from 3 yards I thought Ugwu looked useful too. O'Nien came into it after a fairly anonymous first half. I won't say too much about JJs 1st half contribution though!

But a good performance against a good team so not too down. Thought Reid was a real handful.

As an aside one of their fans was talking pre-game to one of our players who commented how much the Bob Marley song threw them out of their stride at their place last season, which I thought was quite interesting.

• o'nien was my man of the match ahead of sido and bean

• Only a 5 for Ugwu - really? Harsh in the extreme. Thought he asked a few questions of the Argyle defence, showed good strength and appears to have a prodigious leap on him, winning numerous headers. Yes he could have done better with his chances to score, but he wasn't the only one.
    And very harsh to blame Ingram for either of the goals I feel. Not sure how he could have come for either of those - both should have been dealt with by his defence before they got anywhere near him, by which time it was pinball city.
    An off day for the Wanderers defence, and an off day for Vital's match reporters too...?

• Sorry, I agree with Ugwu's mark. Seemed to freeze when directly in front of goal, on two or three occasions.

• Have to agree about Ingram, as good a shot stopper he is, the same question marks about his ability to command his area, are the same points made two years ago.
    For a keeper of his size and build, his reluctance to come and claim balls in and around the six yard box, remains a constant worry.

• Both set pieces were delivered quick and flat, not the sort that a keeper can take. Ugwu did well in general play. First chance he had to take very quickly but should have kept it low.

• Don't forget Ingram is very young for a 'keeper and is still learning. |Give him a break.

• I thought their second goal was scored from an undefendable free kick really. The ball cutting into the box low and with dip really was fantastic.

• Was a good free kick but there was some comedy defending in there I thought - not seen it back yet though. And was it from the free kick that Pierre stupidly gave away when their guy was going nowhere?

• Whilst I agree Ingram's major flaw has been on his coming for crosses, he has definitely shown an improvement this season - and there was no way that either of yesterday's goals come into that category.
    He also came out and made that tremendous punch away off the top of someone's head in the second half. I definitely haven't felt so nervous this season when the ball has been flung close into him as I have previously.

• With all due qualifications about it being his first match, being rusty and needing time to gel, I wasn't overly impressed by Ugwu either. He didn't release the ball quickly enough when Harriman and others were running though and I thought his positioning was a bit off when he was running into the box for crosses. I'm sure more time at the training ground will improve things markedly. I would like to see a Holloway-Ugwu combination for a full 90 mins as that could run opposition defenders ragged.

Having said that though, Thompson is undroppable at the moment. Some nice intelligent touches yesterday and so close to scoring one peachy goal when he snuck past their defender.

O'Nien continues to impress, a few more matches like this and Ainsworth will have to offer him a nice new contract before the end of the year to stop the wolves from circling.

A bit of an off day for the back line, bar Sido, who looks like he should be playing for Chelsea at the moment!

Roll on Leyton Orient...

• Having watched the highlights, I was wrong. The cross is defendable, but we make an absolute state of it.

I thought Ugwu won some good headers and bustled around well. But is he an improvement on an in-form Holloway?

• Ugwu wins his headers but do we get that second ball. It's all well hoofing to him but we got > @NewburyWanderer said:

Sorry, I agree with Ugwu's mark. Seemed to freeze when directly in front of goal, on two or three occasions.

Watched the highlights a few times, we missed some sitters, 2/3 wasted opportunities, on another day we could have been out of sight.

Anyway, more of an issue if we didn't create any chances, so all is good in the hood. Well done lads.

• Ugwu was said by the BBC TV person at the game to be the goalscorer. How did that come about? It's not as though he and Bloomfield are remotely similar.

• Was the commentator a Mr P Prosser?

• edited September 2015

It's because the goal was a bit of a scramble so it was hard to tell whether it was Ugwu's initial shot that went in, or if Bloomfield had got a touch - rather than a case of mistaken identity!

Even Prosser couldn't mix those two up. Amadi-Holloway and Ugwu on the other hand...

• Banton scored, although Ugwu was close by him.

• Sky commentator thought it was Ugwu too

• edited September 2015

I'm not sure what you're wowing at, Righty?

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/news0102/dec2001.htm

The quote from Jermaine is remarkably polite. Prosser should never have refereed again.

• Chris I initially read your post as you saying that Aaron and Gozi look similar.

On second look I think what

• ...whoops!

On second look I think you are commenting more on Prossers inability to distinguish football players, as opposed to making a racial slur. But your post can be read differently which I think is what RITM might have been wowing at...

• Ah that makes sense. Sorry for any confusion!

• Actually RITM post is fundementally flawed.

While to say that all black people look the same would undoubtedly be a racial slur, it is absolutely not racist to say that two people who happen to be black look similar any more than it would be for two people who happen to be white.

Many people say I am the spitting image of Brad Pitt - I dont regard that as racist - although i do see myself as a little more chiseled and slightly more broad shouldered.

• I don't think RITM's post was flawed - Gozie and AAH have different skin tones and don't look similar at all!

• That's just what I thought. For me, with my dimming eyes (and from my eagle perch in the Woodland upper tier) Messrs Banton and Ugwu look quite similar but AAH is very distinctive in appearance.

• I regularly used to get Bloomfield and Scowen mixed up if they were the far side of the pitch. Similar build, similar hair, and I'm getting on a bit.

• That's not what Righty was saying though was it Dev? He wasn't saying it was impossible for two black people to look alike, just that Ugwu and Holloway do not look alike. And he is correct.

As it happens he posted that having assumed incorrectly that Chris was saying that they did, where in fact he was referring back to that loon Prosser's performance in sending off McSporran instead of Senda (and then sending McSporran off as well)

So you're both wrong. How unusual