Skip to content

Wycombe fans are vermin

A twitter quote from Sammy Wood today...'We nearly got relegated last season, we have two bad results, still third in the league, small young squad and we are getting booed. Last year we were third from bottom on 34 points, we are now third from top on 56 points!'

A clearly disappointed Sammy Wood - having to listen to some of the clowns in the Valley End yesterday was depressing at times. 'Pathetic, useless' shouted at players and one particularly shout, when we were losing - 'Ainsworth there's a job at QPR!!' One particular old idiot who has probably never played football in his life spends the whole time shouting 'Get it on the ground!!' and little else. We really have a few f*ckwits amongst our support.

I'm sure the lads will be well supported at Carlisle - the away support always seems a lot lot better.

Onwards and upwards.

Comments

• Apart from when the same morons made it to Mansfield last season...

• I don't think fickle unrealistic fans are unique to Wycombe, but yes, depressing stuff especially from those old enough to know better.

Generally by definition the away support, having made the effort to travel, are going to be a bit more hardcore and hopefully not just show up and sit there.

Good for Wood for having the guts to speak out.

• Everyone keep calm. We lost the last two thanks to some poor individual performances and a lack of sharpness up front. Teams are going to come to AP now and think it is a big result to go away with a point so what do you expect, everyone will target us now.
    We were ok yesterday. Not a disaster. McClure with confidence would have won it with 2 goals. Hayes on the pitch 5 mins longer before his chance would have been sharper etc etc.
    We move on. We are third. All to play for. Considering my expectations in August I am living the dream.

• I've seen Woody get upset before, and who can blame him, he always plays his heart out and it's only the 5th game out of 31 we've lost this season. Sometimes I despair...

• Ainsworth set a high standard this campaign and I guess a few fans were a bit miffed. These days you got to take the good, bad and ugly shouts from paying fans. I do agree booing the team and QPR thing was way off the mark, considering the team in my opinion still put a shift in regardless of the scoreline.

Upwards and onwards to Carlisle.

• I completely understand and agree with Sam Wood, but as PBo said, I don't think this is in anyway unique to Wycombe. The modern football fan wants instant success and rarely displays much patience. It is a bit sad to see old boys in the crowd shouting abuse at individual players though.

Not too sure on the booing though, I didn't think there was much and I got the feeling some of it was aimed at the officials. Around where I was sat everyone was pretty riled about the penalty/free kick not awarded for the blatant shove on Craig in the 1st half and there was alot of booing of the ref, that possibly could've been misinterpareted by the players?

• I think you may have a point there, at least I hope you do. But Sanchez used to berate docile hen pecked Wycombe fans who didn't even boo when the team played badly, and in his book that was fair enough!

• Well said Sam Wood!

I thought the reaction of some of the crowd after the first Newport goal had gone in was disgraceful. Many of the people around where I sit (Frank Adams upper, near the centre) don't know how to support and encourage a team. These people have been as quiet as a mouse while we've been doing well, not a shout of encouragement or praise to be heard, then when results start to go against us, the slagging off starts. Fred seemed to be one of the main targets yesterday, at least until he scored. For God's sake, he's only 18! And no, I don't think any of the booing was aimed at the officials.

Is it any wonder our home form this season (and sometimes in previous seasons) has been relatively poor when compared to our form on our travels? Gareth normally says 'well done' to the fans in his 3CR interviews - don't think he did this time.

• I don't think Wycombe fans have to suck up to players every time we lose. It's been a bit painful this week and if a few paying punters want a moan then so be it. I don't condone it and I don't personally feel inclined to do it (this season at least!) However I do think footballers and their entourage who have barely ever had to pay to sit through L2 football need to just sit back & take it on the chin.

• Fair enough, my main issue is that the people I'm talking about can never be heard supporting or encouraging the players when they do well, as has been the case during most of the first half of the season. It's almost as if they're just sitting there waiting for the tide to turn, so that they can then unleash their idiotic comments.

• edited February 2015

Like any football club, there's always a few very vocal people who seem to only like complaining about how bad we are, and turn up to matches with seemingly the sole intention of getting angry.

I think these poor souls believe this is what you're supposed to do at a football match, to prove your passion and understanding of the game. They sit in every part of the ground, and I don't think this is at all unique to Wycombe.

• I think some supporters generally are concerned by the sudden fall from grace and this then comes out in negative comments. I challenge anyone that saw the last 2 home games to say we played well and deserved to get anything out of either game. Fans will always back the players when they can see effort and industry but get frustrated when the chances come along and go begging as we saw from McClure on Saturday. I was frustrated with the team performance, manager and some of the players poor control but did not boo. I posted over the weekend that I was amazed no changes were made to the front two at half time and I think that is where a lot of the frustration has come from as it just was not working and the front two looked way out of their depth. Sam Wood has taken the booing personally but I guess that shows he cares about the club which is a good thing. Hayes coming back will certainly help matters but we need someone in central midfield as well to start to create things, so fingers crossed Gaz can get someone decent in

• I'll challenge your statement.

We were bad against Plymouth and got what we deserved. However, we should have got something out of the Newport game, after coming back from a poor start with a good second half performance.

Now we have Hayes back, hopefully we won't have to play Craig or McClure for the rest of the season. I've always wanted them to succeed, and don't think they deserve to be booed, but they just don't cut it at this level, even when they do put in 100% effort.

• We definitely should have got something out of the Newport game. Having come back to 1-1 and continued to press, I could only see one winner. I'd back us to win up at Carlisle with Hayes back in the team.

• I agree with Sam overall. I did not boo but do not agree that we deserved anything out of the game. I was pleased to see 4-4-2, but disappointed it was not McClure and Holloway up top. I thought Newport were all over us throughout the game whereas they were gifted space in the middle and in the penalty area. I thought we might hold on for a point, but never thought we looked like winning it. I am more than happy for us to have a blip as long as we claw our way out of it, but to be honest the recent performances from Portsmouth onwards have been a bit iffy...great to see Hayesy back and if only that first touch had gone in....

• my comment about not deserving anything out of the last two games was based on us not being able to take our chances against Newport. When they were presented to us we fluffed our lines time and time again, so on that basis we did not deserve anything out of the game. Newport took their opportunities when they were presented to them unlike us. I am not saying Newport were any better than us in overall play but they walked away with the 3 points, end of.

• You pay your money you're entitled to an opinion - whatever that may be.

• Are they entitled to bray it loudly?

• Yes, I suppose they are entitled, on the basis that they pay their money - but they must also expect to be shouted down at any opportunity both at the game and on forums and the like.

• @HG1 So your basis for saying we didn't deserve to win is based on goals scored rather than chances created and generally "being in the ascendency" at 1-1? To me, we did look the most likely to get a second goal at 1-1 and that's my basis for saying we should have got something from the game. The fact we didn't take our chances is the reason we didn't.

I would have thought it's fairly obvious to look at the result of a game and say we didn't deserve to win because we scored fewer goals or am I missing something?

@drcongo - there seems to be an issue with quoting. I couldn't quote @HG1 here and have seen other instances where quoting doesn't work. Sometimes it works and others it doesn't. Any ideas?

• @HG1 As @Rolo says, it's hardly worth bothering to point out that we didn't deserve to win a game if we scored less goals.

• @FrijidPink said:
    You pay your money you're entitled to an opinion - whatever that may be.

That's the sort of attitude that really riles me. I pay my money so I can go and watch & support my team. Just because there have been a couple of below-par performances resulting in defeats what good does it do anybody to boo the very people you're supposed to be supporting?

I think it's incredibly disrespectful to the players who have been quite exceptional and - in my opinion - over-achieved so far this season. Did these people really not expect a dodgy patch of form at some time, especially given the enforced changes recently due to injuries and player sales?

This is when they need the extra encouragement and support from the fans, not the negativity & abuse that was sadly so obvious on Saturday.

• Well said - my sentiments exactly.

• Exactly @Fidget. The booing on Saturday was embarrassing quite frankly.

• When was the booing? At full time? Were they saying boo-urns?

• @peterparrotface excellent Simpson's reference.

• Ashamed to hear our own supporters booing a team in third place, frustration yes, booing no !
    I would imagine the players were just as frustrated as the fans. I for one still believe we will complete the job and gain promotion.

• Booing the current team is unacceptable in my view. They've been marvellous this season and to get stuck in at the first stumble is pretty poor stuff.

• To be fair to the original poster, you can very audibly hear someone shout "What a cretin" at the start of Saturday's highlights:

• I think the "what a cretin" line was probably me. It was directed at the referee who had just made yet another poor decision - possibly connected with his inability to count to 10. I was still ranting at him when they scored I think. It was not directed at any player and I did not boo at any point during the game (though many did obviously).

Just setting the record straight on that particular point.

P.S. I stand by my view. He WAS a cretin...