Skip to content

Sido and JJ extend contracts by 2 years

2»

Comments

• for a start the lack of height in that midfield against some of the big sides in league 2 we would be crushed.

• I reckon we'll see 4-3-3 but the lineup could be anything. I'd like to see:

Ingram

Jombati Stewart Pierre Jacobson

Rowe Harriman

Hayes

Thompson Holloway Banton

With Rowe and Harriman as the two holding midfielders and Hayes as the creative midfielder/attacker behind the front three.

Seems strange to leave Sam Wood out but shows we have good options now.

• I am not so sure Stuart will be missing from the back line

• It's interesting that we've only got three players you'd ink into the side if fit - Ingram, Pierre and Jacobson. Even Hayes's place is threatened by Holloway.

This isn't the team I'd pick but it's the team I reckon will start against York:

Ingram
    Harriman Rowe
    McGinn
    Thompson Hayes Wood

This is the team I'd go for though!

Ingram
    Banton Rowe McGinn Wood
    Thompson Holloway

• it is interesting that there are very few "first names on the teamsheet" this season. Ingram definately, Pierre and Jacobsen also, but thereafter you could choose between Sido/Harriman , Stewart/Rowe, perm any combination in midfield, any two of Holloway/Hayes/Thompson upfront or possibly all three. Cant quite work out whether thats a good thing indicating strength in depth or a weakness indicating "all much of a muchness, few standouts".

• edited August 2015

Sido is our first choice right back by miles Dev old chap

Rowe is also clearly a first team starter, as is Hayes, although his workload may be managed to get him through the season

Sido and Rowe will play pretty much every game this season though

• Great news about Sido and JJ. I would expect to see Banton and Rowe play...but I think the squad is decent with some good cover options as we know losing Sido and Ingram was possibly pivotal at the arse end of last season. It will be interesting to see how things pan out on Saturday!

• Squad looks good but definitely need to sign a RB and a CM as we are very short in those depts.

• I still think we're lacking a bit of cover up-front and in the wide positions, although maybe Gaz is going to keep trying Max up front as well?

• This summer’s transfer dealings probably haven’t been quite as mouth-watering as 12 months ago but then again the side these players are joining is of a much higher quality than this time last year so it’s a different equation really. On paper it’s a competitive team at this level and you would have to fancy a top-half finish with a decent chance of being involved in the promotion picture. That would be as big an achievement this season as it was last year.

Overall the policy of going in with fewer, better players remains the right approach, we can only hope that we’re as lucky with injuries this season as we were last year. You would imagine GA’s got a budget for loan signings up his sleeve too and these could yet make a real difference.

Defensively we look strong with an excellent goalkeeper (and decent back-up), three useful centre-halves and good full-backs (with back-up options on both the right and left).

Midfield-wise we’ve plenty of legs with likes of Wood, Sellers, Bean, Bloomfield, O’Nien etc but perhaps a slight lack of creativity and ‘class’. Maybe McGinn will bring that to the squad.

Up front Hayes, Holloway, Thompson and Banton, as well as Wood and Kretzschmar (when pushed up that far) all have undoubted talent and we’re probably stronger than we were 12 months ago. None of them are 20 goal a season men so they’ll have to play well as a unit and all chip in.

In terms of any potential gaps, I would suggest there are two areas that may come into focus as the season moves on. The likelihood is we’ll see plenty of the 4-3-3 formation we saw for most of the second half of the season, although sometimes it was more 4-1-4-1 (or actually more like 4-1-2-2-1).

The common factor in all of them was the central lone forward and the deep-lying midfielder and it’s these two crucial positions where we look a little thin.

Clearly the recently re-branded Aaron Amadi-Holloway has earned the right to lead the Wycombe line but we don’t really have much back-up now that McClure/Craig have departed. Thompson would currently look to be the alternative and we’ll see how that works out. However, we may need an extra body to give AAH a break and cover him when he gets a knock – although its hard to find the right players for such a difficult role.

In terms of the deep-lying midfielder there’s plenty of options with Bloomfield, Rowe, Bean and, I guess, McGinn all capable of occupying that role with the other two midfielders doing the pressing. None of them have yet to make a compelling case and we can only hope that one of them makes the position his own as the season goes on.

Overall I’m optimistic and can’t wait to get cracking. Let’s hope last season was just the start of something special.

• I agree with what you say but I think the midfield concern is a little over stated as I feel McGinn could be this Sam Saunders style player and that we have enough options for deep lying midfielder role now. I have to admit I do not think that McGinn will be the midfield General this from having seen him play but Ainsworth thinks this is the case and a friend who supports Watford mirrors this . As I said earlier , apart form a hand full on here none of have seen the new signings play and those who have have only seen them in friendlies (which are notorious for giving no indication as to how the players or team will play when it starts for real ) I think Thompson could well turn into a hell of a signing and I am now very optimistic that we have done as well as our monies allow

• @blueh_w said:
    I dont agree

Ingram

Sido Stewart Pierre JJ

Harriman Rowe McGinn

Hayes Holloway Thompson

Like this team Blueh_w selection, except I switch McGrinn for Banton.
    4/3/3

• @Ciderk1d said:
    4/3/3

Yeah, I know McGrinn for McGinn lol.

• I too am optimistic. I was worried we would lose our backline, and two of them have signed extensions. I am amazed that Rowe came back, but really pleased. Holloway was starting to show promise...we still have Wood, we have Banton, who we know can score goals, two hard-working and motivated old gits up front who both got goals last season and a clutch of young players who Gaz and his team seem to rate. If he can get Max to fulfill some of his potential after a quiet season...we have the makings of a decent side who can compete. I am not sure we can ask too much more.

• @DevC
    I had assumed that for whatever reason GA didnt greatly rate Sido, or that it appeared there were longer term issues with his injury recovery. That would explain why harriman was brought in to play RB (plus others who can also cover inthat position).
    But a club in our position doesnt hand out effectively a three year contract to a player out of favour. So Sido is presumably first choice RB.

I'll let you off as you don't get to watch WWFC much these days, but Sido definitely did not fall out of favour! His absence would have been more keenly felt had Ainsworth not struck a good balance between switching Yennaris (one of many masterstroke loan signings) and Bean between the central holding role in midfield and right back depending on how much pace the opposition had on the left wing.
    Getting Sido back in the side will be the proverbial new signing, as long as he's recovered his fitness and form from his untimely injury. I'd say that Ainsworth is very much of the opinion that Sido will regain both judging by the contract extension.

• I don't think Dev's presumption is so mad. Clearly Sido didn't fall out of favour but, of all our summer signings, Harriman's is the strangest of the lot. He had a great season with Luton, he's just signed a new contract with QPR, he'll be on big wages - so he's hardly being brought in to warm the bench. But where does he play? We've just bought in a pacy right-winger in Banton; Rowe to do the defensive midfield work; two other new central midfielders. Other than right back, where does he fit in?

Given that Ainsworth's brought in a young, cheap, left back/winger in Sellers, who clearly won't be expecting to displace either Jacobson or Wood in the short term, I would have thought a similar player for the opposite flank would be the better - and cheaper - option than bringing in Harriman.

• edited August 2015

I think you will see Harriman play in Midfield mainly, we have a much more balanced team now and no loanee problems in the cups either which
    blighted us last season.

• I was a bit surprised by Harriman's signing as well but it looks like he might be playing in that right midfield role. He did ok there against Basingstoke, has bundles of energy and will never stop running. We know that Sido likes to get forward as well so maybe Gaz sees it as being a fluid right hand side where the two of them can swap positions at will, each more than capable of covering at the back when the other bombs forward.
    It's the left side that I find interesting now after the perfomance that Sellers put in against Basingstoke. Despite being right footed I believe that Banton prefers to play on the left, so in effect you've got Wood, Banton and Sellers vying for that position.

I just think it's great that there seem to be so many permutations available to Gaz - should enable him to set up the team to suit all sorts of different tactical situations.

• For what it's worth, Harriman has played on the right side of midfield in the pre-season friendlies.

• Apparently Ryan Sellars is brilliant from his friendly performances.... Woods era may be over.....

• Can't see Woods being easily replaced. Done us proud over the last couple of seasons and can't remember him having too many bad games. If he is relaxed on a regular basis that does mean we've really strengthened that side

• Is Woods a new signing?

• Okay. I know. Wasn't really awake

• love Woodie but he can have the odd shocker of a game, needs rest time as he ages, feel he may have more of a last 20 mins close the game down role this season

• @perfidious_albion said:
    love Woodie but he can have the odd shocker of a game, needs rest time as he ages, feel he may have more of a last 20 mins close the game down role this season

Indeed. Resting one's Woodie as we age is something that we just have to get used to. Mrs Moobs says she's expecting quite long intervals without Woodie in the dugout as time marches on.

• @Manboobs said:
    what Mrs Moobs needs is a Buzz Lightyear to fill in for Woodie