Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage

13»

Comments

• @perfidious_albion sorry but I really don’t think Marcus Bean is good enough for League One.

• As good as Bean has been for us, I wouldn't offer him a new playing deal. If he moved into a coach/ player role then that'd be different.

• Beano is definitely worthwhile having in the squad even at division l level. Against the better teams that knock the ball about in midfield he is ideal for getting in their faces and breaking up play. He is also good at shielding the back 4.

He seems to be well liked in the squad and always gives his all. Probably not amongst the highest earners either.

Probably not a regular starter, but if used in certain games in my opinion would still be an asset.

• edited May 2018

Yves a big man...but Brownie does it for a living.

• Bean played in League One for years, I think he would do fine as a squad player even though I've never fully understood his playing style.

• I'm intrigued to see who Gareth adds...and we know he will. But if we started with much the same squad (but fit!) next year I would not be too concerned.

• @Wendoverman said:
    if we started with much the same squad (but fit!) next year I would not be too concerned.

I'm not so sure. Against the other top 8 teams this year we recorded a solitary win (Luton away), and next season will obviously be harder. The squad very definitely needs serious strengthening, especially at the back, but I full trust Ainsworth to do so.

• It'll be intriguing hoe we do next year for sure!

Will the attack be anywhere near as effective?
    Will we actually tighten up defensively, having shipped tonneloads in league 2.
    Can we risk that Stewart will play enough games to not have to bring a starter quality centre back in?

• I'm sure he will be looking to have an extra couple of CBs in hand @MindlessDrugHoover and possibly a new goalie, left back cover and an extra body in midfield. Not much to ask. I think we're okay with the front players.

• Sounds about right @Wendoverman. Apart from Max Müller, Scott Brown and Will de Havilland (none of whom is certain to be released), Tafari Moore (who, prior to Wenger’s departure, was not expected to be offered a contract by Arsenal), Randell Williams (who has been given, or at least been offered, a contract at Watford) and Curtis Thompson (much shorter than Bean but also more cultured), it is difficult to see just who will make way for the five or six new signings that, as @MindlessDrugHoover says, will definitely be required if we are to hold our own next season.

I reckon Moore, Williams and Thompson will all be signed (Williams on loan). The jury may still be out on Dan Scarr in view of his injury record and there speaks a man who had identified him as a future skipper earlier in the season.

• I would be happy with Moore, Williams and Thompson re-signing @micra

• I think the chances of Thompson staying is dependant on whether or not Beano retires.

• Thompson's barely featured, so i'm not 100% sure what people are seeing in him.
    The one game I remember him starting I thought it was the classic "everywhere the ball's just been"

• Then surely @Malone he is prime terrace midfield scapegoat for three quarters of the season material until he scores a screamer to make it 4-3 and becomes a legend.

• Have to agree with malone re Thompson just not seen enough of him to be convinced, if we do sign another midfielder I’d like to see a bit more height and power bought in rather than another small player. Would be happy for any of scarr, Moore, Williams or Umerah to return

• I’ve been very impressed with Thompson each time I’ve seen him and it’s unfortunate that he picked up an injury just when we were struggling a bit in midfield but I agree about his lack of inches. Apart from that, he’d be an excellent replacement for Beany.

• It was good to see Josh Umerah in the awards dinner group photo. And there was also a young fair-haired lad who may have been Jack Williams.

• That's interesting @micra . Cunning management to keep him involved for a potential return? Or something even more concrete lined up?

Can't remember how long he was actually with us, as a lot of the time he was injured and unclear whether he was here or back at his parent club.

• @Malone : your memory is on a par with mine! On the other hand, why would you read my every word? There are too many of them. But it was only a few days ago in response to a similar remark that you made about Josh that I referred to his six appearances (not all from the start) and his two goals - one in each of his last two appearances. He was carrying an ankle injury and returned to Charlton in October to have surgery.

Very soon after he arrived here he was featured on the the front cover of the matchday programme and there was a delightful interview with him which you could download by scanning one of those squiggly square things.

• edited May 2018

Oh yes, a goal in "each" of two whole games. 2 goals!

I never watch player interviews. Even manager interviews are generally anodyne garb.

I had forgotten 6 appearances, but my question was how long he was actually "in and around" the place, as he was injured for most of the spell.

• Both the goals were scored when he came on late in the games. No, he wasn’t around after that but I expect he had quite a long rehab after the surgery. I DO take notice of interviews. Character is so important.

• I thought is was a really powerful gesture to invite back anyone who had a part to play in the squad this season. Excellent work from whoever thought of it.

• Totally agree @Right_in_the_Middle an great example of we were all in it together. And let's face it players who have had a good experience at Adams Park would possibly be interested in returning.

• I can't see us signing Thompson. If Ainsworth rated him I feel he would have got more game time. We had an injury crisis and he got him in as back-up.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Totally agree Right_in_the_Middle an great example of we were all in it together. And let's face it players who have had a good experience at Adams Park would possibly be interested in returning.

Not just that - but recommending us to other players. We must have one of the best reputations in the league for the way we treat and develop loanees.