Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage

Comments

• @Morris_Ital - it was a pleasure to meet you too. Sorry if I seemed a bit gormless and distracted - I was having a bit of an out of body experience when they played the song! Glad you got to see Game 5 too - that really was an amazing goal. I didn't really get it until the slow motion! Empty netters are always a bit crushing too. Again, fantastic to meet you - maybe next year again!

• Playing with the shackles off everyone looked good today, 09 jumping straight up after a tackle, do So dispossessing at will, el-abd imperious and blooms would never have tried that shot if we had needed to win. Williams tyson and pch looking great. Good day everyone see you in August.

• edited May 2018

For me, this sums up the day from my terrace-dweller perspective. It looks like it was just before the players came out. I had no idea he was there at the time or that anyone was speaking - the terrace was singing its guts out as it did for much of the hour before the game and the first half before becoming more sporadic after half-time. I would venture the large majority of people on the terrace would say the same. There seem to be two different kinds of match-day experiences: terrace and non-terrace. From the terrace, these kinds of interventions are pointless, like playing music over the tannoy as the players come out (which I actually find worse than pointless because it makes it hard to coordinate the generation of real atmosphere on the terrace because it's played so loudly).

This, I take it, is Bill Turnbull speaking. Seems a decent bloke but I honestly don't get the point of his being there then!

• It’s a real shame that Bill couldn’t be heard in the terrace. As the club’s tweet says, it was a poignant moment that deserved a bigger audience.

• I'm assuming he said more than is contained in this recording, then.

• He's a lovely bloke Bill, but am I the only one to find that really cringey?

• Possibly.

• In relation to the fans on the terrace, I might equate it to preaching to the choir while the choir is singing without them even knowing they are being preached to.

• Given what Bill is going through right now, I’d be tempted to cut him slack? It’s the context that makes it poignant for me.

But maybe I’m just overly sentimental.

• I make no judgement about the content. Simply commenting on the timing and value of the event.

• It looked to me as if the portly kit-man that the squad loves did a bit of a geeing-up talk in the pre-match huddle. Anyone else see this?

• @HCblue said:

From the terrace, these kinds of interventions are pointless, like playing music over the tannoy as the players come out (which I actually find worse than pointless because it makes it hard to coordinate the generation of real atmosphere on the terrace because it's played so loudly).

I don’t think that’s just a terrace thing. Someone mysterious in football marketing thinks this type of thing is a good idea. Like having players line up and shake hands rather than running out, and having a football on a podium picked up by the referee.

I guess if you don’t come up with these ideas you’re out of a job.

• Bill is fantastic and he is a pleasure to have associated with our club. In the context he could have taken the mic, blown a raspberry for 30 seconds and I would have been ony feet.

• Met up with Dan Scarr in town this morning, (bloody pint of lager by 11.20!), said he really wasn't sure about being here next season as he is still contracted to BCFC for another year. Confirmed though that he absolutely loved his time here at WWFC. As such, if he was offered a contract here and BCFC didn't require his footballing talents any longer, I guess we wouldn't have any bother persuading him?

• It's not beyond possibility that Birmingham might be in the same League next season if results go against them.

• I’ve been through the terrace days and now I’m of an age so I understand that the club isn’t just for the lads but it’s also for the families and the older supporters so if you think something is cringeworthy just let it go.

• I agree. @Morris_Ital. Didn't mean to signal opposition to the concept per se.

• Belated thoughts from Saturday.

Blooms - what a man. A lesser player would have thought "It's a hot day, I'm 34, we're already up and I've just signed a two year deal, so I'll take it easy". Not this guy. Played like it was last ever game and delighted he got the winner and MOTM. What an example to the younger players in our squad. That's exactly why he gets a two year deal.

On that note, Sido also played very well and in my opinion deserves a new contract. I'm sure GA will look to bring in at least 2 CBs in the summer and I'm hoping we might sign Moore as well, but Sido's versatility could be crucial in our small squad next season.

Randell Williams really impressed me as well. I gather he's signed a new deal at Watford which is a shame, but I'd be happy to see him back on loan. Seeing him attack the Stevenage defence at pace, with his big, exaggerated step-overs was great fun to watch. All three forwards were superb, particularly PCH and I hope he'll be sticking around and put any personal problems (if there really are any) behind him.

Nice to see Brown and Bean get the recognition they deserve. Brown tying a WW scarf to his goalnet was a nice touch and it's sad to hear that he's apparently aware of all the speculation surrounding him. I have it on good authority that Bean is in talks with GA over a new deal, but it could go either way.

Ma-Kalambay looked decent, I was actually slightly taken aback at how good he looked. If he's on some coach-registered-as-a-player deal then it makes sense to extend it. I'd happily see him start a league fixture for us. He looks about 7ft (@micra?)

Fantastic day all round and one the club handled very well I think - wasn't aware of any major logistical problems or six-hour long queues. Also, hats off to the groundsman - I couldn't help noticing the good quality of the pitch during my full-time stroll on the playing surface. Think the club did well as a whole and hopefully some of the Billy Bandwagonners will be back next season. Great to meet a few of you at the WWISC stand, particularly Shev and family. Sorry for the long, rambling post. Commence summer.

• Always a pleasure to read your posts, @Jonny_King. Very much in tune with your sentiments regarding the players. I agree that it would be good to get Randell Williams back on loan but, assuming that PCH stays, the feeling might be that we have enough wide attacking options and that the money would be better spent on defenders, not least to provide cover for JJ although Sido has of course performed perfectly well at left back and there is perhaps a greater need for at least one central defender.

Talking of Sido, I have the impression, based only on anecdotal evidence, that Yves Ma-Kalambay might be a goalkeeping version! He seemed incredibly laid back and always seemed to have plenty of time. He’s 6’6” in fact (!) and showed a welcome readiness to come off his line for crosses. I’ve seen promotional videos of him and he looked extremely acrobatic.

The pitch looks terrific and it was no surprise to learn that Steve Gardner (Jim’s son) and Sean Woodley won the award for EFL’s Grounds Team of the season.

• Yves seemed quite good to be honest his kicking other then the one time he slipped was very well aimed. He would be worth keeping.

• I can’t see that it has been mentioned yet, but am interested to hear opinions on the “medal ceremony” after the game.
    I don’t remember us having this when we last finished third. Seemed a bit odd to me, is this a relatively new FA thing?

• My heart was in my mouth a bit with YMK's nonchalant kicking style, but yes, save one slip he did very well.

@BlueytheSwan Don't think we ever did a presentation before, but we definitely got a silver plate and medals the last time we went up under Waddock. The plate was on display with Nikki Bull's medal at Wycombe Museum in the 125 years exhibition.

• I think “nonchalant” describes him to a T.
    But there was something De Gea-esque about the way he saved with his legs after diving the wrong way after either a deflection or a misjudgement. @HCblue may have a view on that as I believe he is a terrace dweller.

• There was indeed a considerable deflection - far greater than is evident on the highlights - and he did very well to get a leg to it.

My favourite bit was the cross he came for at about the penalty spot. Reminded me of Blackman and was particularly enjoyable for its totally unexpectedness after a season of Browny!

• edited May 2018

Yves: I also saw him against West Ham under 8’s in the ‘cup’ he made two great saves and bossed the defence which (along with coming for catches) was really refreshing - def a keeper (pun intended).
    Sido: Had a word with him after the game, his response to will you stay? ‘We’re talking, you could be surprised’ as enigmatic as his playing style, also a keeper for 18/19 IMO.
    Beano: Delighted to hear he may be in talkes, all the signes were that retirement beckoned.

• Always good to see a keeper who can comfortably carry the ball with one hand.

• or indeed two balls, one in each hand!

• Dirty beast.

• Must give up Countdown. Just misread “assuage” as sausage in the phrase “...assuage its fans’ appetite”.

• it was just nice to see him come out and easily claim a loopy throw in into our box to be honest