Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

Comments

• edited April 2018

Not wishing to take sides, but @DJWYC14 didn't call "a player... awful," he said he had "an awful 45 mins," which is very different. From my viewpoint Harriman did give a pretty dodgy first half performance (that early cross was awful by any standards) but a much improved second half one. The fact that it was his first start for 6 months and that he didn't seem to be sure whether he was right back or right wing does however add mitigation and on the whole it was pleasing - and reassuring to see him back. I'm sure he'll be fully match fit for the play-offs!

Stating that @glasshalffull is Mr Parry is however slanderous in the extreme (even if correct) and he should be very very ashamed of himself for use of that language

• That's the point @bookertease . He was so much better in the second half.

First half was dour. ..he's been great for us over an extended period and will no doubt play a big part in our promotion race. Doesn't take from the fact he was dire first half mind

• Oh and ps. Let's accept @glasshalffull is Mr. Parry now. Doesn't take a genius.

• why would Alan Parry want to post on this forum ? Is he not a director of the club.

• Brilliant to have Scotty K back. He looked lively and direct and wasn't afraid to put his foot in.

Some nice touches by Williams but inconsistent, unsurprisingly. Promising, but not the secret promotion weapon.

First half so frustrating when Harriman was often in space forward but Sido wouldn't pass to him. Must have been in the plan as no professional footballer could so regularly overlook such an obvious ball.

• Williams all day for me if a choice between him and PCH the sulky one.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Williams all day for me if a choice between him and PCH the sulky one.

No idea what's up with PCH. Was fantastic around the turn of the year. If he's got the hump about something then he shouldn't have but if he is fully fit it's very strange if GA hasnt been playing him for footballing reasons given our patchy scoring record from open play in the last few matches

• @rmjlondon said:
    why would Alan Parry want to post on this forum ? Is he not a director of the club.

Dunno mate. You’d be better off asking @glasshalffull.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • glad to see CMS rested today, should be raring to go for Yeovil and Lincoln now.

• Massive 3 points today might only take 2 more wins to clinch 3rd spot, with Notts County and Coventry losing i can only really see Exeter/Lincoln catching us

• could we clinch it at lincoln, could somebody work out if thats possible please lol

• highly unlikely but not impossible

• Would need Exeter to lose at Cambridge & Accrington but also at home to Chesterfield the night we play Lincoln. Lincoln would need to lose at Port Vale. We would need to win at Yeovil and Lincoln. The others would also need to drop points as well.

So @Bledlow_Blue absolutely spot on!

• Actually, @bookertease, we could allow Exeter one point from those three matches, and with the other elements of the scenario you describe, we'd still clinch promotion at Sincil Bank. The 'others' in the scenario, i.e Coventry and Notts County are playing each other, so how many other points either or both would need to drop over and above that match would depend on the outcome of it. However, in total, County would need to drop 3 points and Coventry 4, in 2 games each, before our game at Lincoln.

So I'm going with "highly unlikely" too.

• I've called out @glasshalffull for some negative stuff before, but have to side with him here.
    Strange super harsh post from the normally positive @DJWYC14 , then abusive in response.
    Strange. One poor cross, and one mistake were hardly a disaster of a performance.

What on earth makes anyone think the chap is Alan Parry? A guy who has always posted under his own name, and is always a positive guy, irritatingly so at times.

This glasshalf full chap, from the name through to his posts doesn't seem to be anyything like him.

Could be wrong, as I'm certain there's people on 2 accounts.

• It was a disaster of a first half performance - dreadful hooked cross, at fault for goal, and outjumped at least half a dozen times.

He was better in the second half.

The only thing I should have perhaps qualified is that some rustiness is to be expected after so long out.

I have no more to say myself regarding that certain poster but I am in no doubt who it is. I will leave it for others to make up their minds.

• What a pathetic thread after such a gutsy and important win.

• GA trusts an unfit Harriman rather than a fit MCginley who played only 3 weeks ago.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    What a pathetic thread after such a gutsy and important win.

It was a huge win, great comeback and I always thought we’d do it if we equalised. A proper ‘next goal wins it’ once we went behind. On to Yeovil and I’m checking how long it will take me to get to Lincoln. COYB!

• thats the key to team selection, PCH won't be seen again it seems which is a shame but if u will sulk like a 12 year old girl in a man's environment what do u expect.

• Fully agree with Dale on both Harriman and Glasshalffull. Harriman is one our best players, but he had an absolute shocker first half. That doesn't mean he's a shocking player, just that he was clearly very rusty after such a long time out. He massively improved after the break.

• He was rusty for sure, it just seemed a particularly harsh criticism in the context.

However, hopefully that's his "loosener" and it's good news that he's back as Moore is out.

We've conceded I think it was the second highest amount of goals in the top 12, but with Harriman and Stewart, two guaranteed starters missing such massive periods of time, we've done excellently to still be in the auto mix.

• Hardly a "disaster"

We went in only 1-0 down having been the better side and won the game. I was pretty confident at half time we would as well

Don't think the criticism of the criticism was out of order to be honest

Even if it has led to criticism of the criticism of the criticism

Which is why I disagree with the criticism of the criticism of the criticism of the criticism

• We could have won it betterer.

• probably

• As an aside, I notice we haven't scored a goal from open play since the Morecambe game. 7 games and counting. Good job our set pieces have been effective recently!

• @WanderingDays , the interesting thing with that is we don't actually have the threat of old, with no Mawson/Pierre type colossus contributing regular headers, so it's good we're still finding a way to score from them.

• On a tangent and I can admit that I am tactically inept...did anyone else think often too many people were going for the same ball on Monday...leaving massive gaps when they lost it? It's something I've not seen for a long time.

• It did look at times to me that there were a few of our players out there who weren’t quite as sure as they should have been as to who was doing what.

It seemed to me - first half in particular - that we were trying something new (alongside the lump it/laser-guided hoofs to Bayo) and a few weren’t sure of their role/position