Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

Comments

• Brown, Harriman, Sido, El Abd, JJ, Bean, Bloomfield, O'Nien, PCH, Bayo, Freeman. 2-0. COYB

• Got a weird feeling Stewart will be back today. Might be more of dream mind. Come on the Blues

• I think it will be a typical Ainsworth bluff about resting strikers.
    With 12 days to our next game, I expect our best two of Tys and the Beast to start.

• Always get nervous when playing teams from the bottom end. I'm still stinging from the Morecombe game, although I believe GA had just got manager of the month then which is always the kiss of death for a winning streak. Would be great to see us play an attacking game and score a hat full and stay firmly camped in their half with Brown not even getting a touch.
    Grim day weather wise hopefully we can see a 3-0 win leading 2-0 at half time.
    COYB!

• I know Bayo probably needs a rest but today is not the day. As said above we have a 12 day rest after today.

Grimsby have the worst set piece record in the division and we must take advantage

• I hate games like today when the general expectation is we should win. They make me more nervous than anticipated tight games for some reason. Probably too many ‘egg on face’ memories

• Hopefully the morecambe game is still fresh in the collective memory. Also do Grimsby have an Ellison to save them?

• No but neither did Port Vale!

• Stop it @bookertease you are getting me worried now. I think we need a goal first half at least to settle the nerves. But not so settled we forget Cambridge. Oh god I'm scaring myself now. Can I change the subject to whether or not WDH is coming back?

• We deserve renown
    for making it exciting / difficult for ourselves. Hopefully today on this 3rd occasion recently we have played a struggling side we will win handsomely and the problem will then be for optimistic souls like myself avoiding concentrating on what is happening above us, rather than below us.

Up the Blues. Let's sing for a comfortable win.

• Let us play.

• Sorry @Wendoverman. I’m a natural optimist in everything except Wycombe games. I’ve watched hundreds of comfortable wins that I remember nothing about and a few dozen losses in games I thought we’d win beforehand that I can relate in glorious technicolour through gritted teeth to people not sensible enough to avoid being round me on match days

• I think you and me would be good friends @bookertease!

• Presume PCH injured.

• Love Harriman but this is the definition of a nightmare. Outjumped on every header, skewed a cross and woefully at fault for the goal. Lost his man then failed to intercept. Awful

• Hope GA has said to them, “break them down twice and we deserve to go up, anything less is choking. Go out there and win this!”

• Welcome back Mr Kashket!

• And we have done! Get in! Three points at home, you beauties!

• And whatever happens next weekend we’ll be third. Cup of tea whilst I watch the chasing pack arsing it up on final score will do me nice. Oh and I have this week off work as well. Life is sweet.

• Massive result shame Exeter won but other than that results going our way although they missed a sitter to equalise we should have scored loads no idea how they survived some of those goalmouth scrambles great to see kashket back in the goals also thought Williams and gape had good games rumour on the terrace is that PCH has fallen out with GA don’t know if anyone me can shed any more light on that

• And how has AEA come on in the last couple of games; amazing scenes!

• great game...nerv racking...there big striker they bought on was a handful and had a good touch on him. loved how direct williams was....very impressed with him. beast...the ball did not want to go in!! absolutely huge result...5 cup finals to play.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    great game...nerv racking...there big striker they bought on was a handful and had a good touch on him. loved how direct williams was....very impressed with him. beast...the ball did not want to go in!! absolutely huge result...5 cup finals to play.

Four cup finals- we’re going up at Chesterfield I tells ye!

• Exeter to play Accrington 7 days before we play Accrington, with us both playing midweek games sandwiched in between.

Squeaky bum time.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Exeter to play Accrington 7 days before we play Accrington, with us both playing midweek games sandwiched in between.

Squeaky bum time.

Stanley to celebrate promotion with a win over Exeter is the dream scenario in that one.

• Looked one of those classic banana skins for a while, a lot of us guilty of looking beyond this game for tough games.
    However, we came through nicely, and should have definitely added a goal or 2 more.

Surprised to see Randall Williams start. Very much the forgotten man. Quiet start, but came into it very well with some good runs and turns of skill.
    They struggled to contain Tyson when he came on against tired legs too.

O Nien must be bruised after that one. His opponent was like playing himself, every challenge was full on, he was mobile and a good match up.

Great to see Kashket tick off the progress. First start, first goal, and longest spell on the pitch for a year. Didn't have many chances, but still scored.

No idea on Paris' situation. Saw him walking around suited up pre game. Impossible to tell from that if he has a niggle. Either way, we have plenty of options for the run in.

Exeter and Lincoln the dangers then.
    If we lose to Lincoln and they win their game in hand that 7 point lead could go down to 1. So expecting a very tight game there.

• @na104 rumour on the terrace is that PCH has fallen out with GA don’t know if anyone me can shed any more light on that

Spoke with him before the game. Understandably he was reluctant to elaborate on his omission, other than confirming he wasn't injured.

• Assume he would have started it then. It gave Williams his chance and for me he def took it

• Surprised Freeman was left out over Williams as well. But he did take his chance. Might have to be satisfied with going back on the bench next game though.

• Assume the thinking was see how he does against a team near the bottom to see if we can rely on him against better teams