Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

Comments

• Williams will never get anywhere near Watford's first team, so it might be worth trying to get him on a season long loan next season. Certainly has a lot of pace.

• Good game. Poor old Harriman one mistake costing us, but I never thought we would lose it. Glad Williams and kashket came off to applause as both worked hard. Harsh yellows for lon and Williams I thought. Although the luke incident was in front of my stand I was swigging from me pop and did not see what the commotion was. Concensus around me seemed to be he had not done anything. El-abd had another good game but how we let a very poor team even get into our half was alarming. Another good three points - as they all are and we made a lot of noise today to delight the true fans!!

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Love Harriman but this is the definition of a nightmare. Outjumped on every header, skewed a cross and woefully at fault for the goal. Lost his man then failed to intercept. Awful

For goodness sake he hasn’t started a game for 6 months, give the guy some slack.

• Williams did well 2nd half I thought. Also Tyson was superb again when he came on. He's just so good

Gape was my man of the match

• Gape was good as was Harriman except for his lapse for someone coming back from a bad break. Except for some poor quality goofing at times, a great team performance. As for PCH it would be a shame if he's fallen out of favour.

• First half the formation really frustrated. We desperately lacked width and Williams and Kashkett kept coming short and closing down the space instead of stretching the pitch.

Much better second half. Recycled the ball quicker and got Williams and Kashkett on the ball.

Gape MOM for me. He really has had an excellent season.

• I certainly thought AEA was a decent shout for MOM. whilst both Gape & LON were also good contenders, never did I think Scot Kashket was even close?

• Just watched the highlights think Harrimans getting some harsh treatment although the guy had the run on him they won the ball back and moved it forward quickly leaving him and jj up the pitch chasing back cb’s didn’t step up to play offside and didn’t come across to help even though that was where the danger was although it was his man sido should have had more awareness and come across to help

• @na104 said:
    Just watched the highlights think Harrimans getting some harsh treatment although the guy had the run on him they won the ball back and moved it forward quickly leaving him and jj up the pitch chasing back cb’s didn’t step up to play offside and didn’t come across to help even though that was where the danger was although it was his man sido should have had more awareness and come across to help

I agree you can’t blame him for that had a good game in my opinion, Luke or gape for mom in my opinion.

• @glasshalffull said:
    For goodness sake he hasn’t started a game for 6 months, give the guy some slack.

Don't you think I realised?

Far better in second half after a shocker of a first.

You really are a prat of the highest order.

• edited April 2018

Anyone any idea at all what formation we were playing at the back first half? Wasn’t sure if it was 2, 3 or 4 for most of that.

I love Sido but he definitely had a ‘Sido’ day with the free kick typifying how most things went for him today.

I’d agree with EAE or Gape as MoM. Impressed with Williams when he had a decent ball to work with. Thought Bean had an immense 2nd half. Tyson a class apart when he came on.

Plan A today seemed to be lump it up to Bayo with Kashket to feed off the second ball. Mixed results but great to see him score again.

Apart from the referee’s inability to see fouls on Bayo - particularly first half, I actually thought he (the red) had a decent game and at least tried to play advantage.

If that game was a month ago we’d have won it comfortably. Defending at the death with 9 players stretched across the line of the penalty area with no outlet (keeping Bayo up to chase balls hit anywhere into space doesn’t appear a brilliant tactic) but probably down to the tension of needing to win.

And what a relief it was to win!

Hope Grimsby stay up though. They weren’t that bad and if they hadn’t missed that great chance could easily have taken a point.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    You really are a prat of the highest order.

You say you realise he’s been out for 6 months but you still criticise him for one error and then you call me a prat. I suggest that you pause and think before you post.

• It wasn't one error - it was an awful 45mins. If you'd listened to his interview in the Vere Suite he basically admitted as much but you were probably too much into your pawn sandwiches Mr Parry

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tyson still is a magnificent player, even at his age.

• El Abd was my MOM, he really has proven the early season doubters (myself included) wrong. Harriman was terrible in the first half but I'm sure that's just down to lacking match practice. Williams was okay but think I'd rather have Freeman starting ahead of him. Kashket is even better than I remember - the league two Messi!

• Adam El Abd is a class apart, him and Mawson would have been a fantastic pairing, and also a captains goal to top it off and a decent finish.

• @fame_46 said:
    I thought Harri was okay - sure his touch and crossing was questionable at times but you have to remember he’s played 2 games in 3 days after 6 months out with a serious injury.

Try playing professional sport after that sort of injury.

@DJWYC14 said:
    It wasn't one error - it was an awful 45mins. If you'd listened to his interview in the Vere Suite he basically admitted as much but you were probably too much into your pawn sandwiches Mr Parry

I think you are making yourself look more foolish with every post. You attack one

@DJWYC14 said:
    It wasn't one error - it was an awful 45mins. If you'd listened to his interview in the Vere Suite he basically admitted as much but you were probably too much into your pawn sandwiches Mr Parry

You refer to one of our own players as a ‘definition of a nightmare’ and ‘awful’ then call me a ‘prat’ for no reason and go on to refer to ‘pawn’ (sic) sandwiches-which I’ve never eaten in my life-and then say Mr Parry’.
    I’ll have a pint of whatever you’re on!

• @Bledlow_Blue said:
    El Abd was my MOM, he reaally has proven the early season doubters (myself included) wrong. Harriman was terrible in the first half but I'm sure that's just down to lacking match practice. Williams was okay but think I'd rather have Freeman starting ahead of him. Kashket is even better than I remember - the league two Messi!

not for me, of what i saw today, Williams has more about him than freeman imo

• @Wwfc2015_ said:

I agree, Williams has more potential which is probably why he is currently at a Premier side.

• Ok Mr Parry.. plenty have called you out, and rightfully so from what I have seen. Enjoy your night! I will - 3 great battling points from the Chairboys!

• Th> @DJWYC14 said:

Ok Mr Parry.. plenty have called you out, and rightfully so from what I have seen. Enjoy your night! I will - 3 great battling points from the Chairboys!

Don’t worry, I have enjoyed my night despite the absence of a single pawn sandwich.

• If Glasshalfull isnt Mr Parry, he does a very good impression of the self righteous pundit.
    Maybe a stand up career awaits, failing that a standing ovation.

• I didn't think the first 45 was that bad actually...they scored with their one chance and we created plenty and had a couple cleared off the line. Always looked like we were going to win to me. Harriman played some neat stuff with Williams second half. Where were all these prawn sandwiches?

• Again @glasshalffull why you can’t enjoy an important win without picking the (harmless) bones of Gasroom posts remains a mystery.

• El abd also got an asset......What a guy and Williams was class pure class

• @floyd said:
    Again glasshalffull why you can’t enjoy an important win without picking the (harmless) bones of Gasroom posts remains a mystery.

I thought this chat room was a forum for exchanging opinions and in my opinion, calling a player starting his first game for 6 months awful and the definition of a nightmare (harmless?) deserved a response which (unlike the poster’s reply) I made without recourse to insults.

• I will be delighted to get another keeper in over the summer.

Brown is by no means as bad as he was at the start of the season, but you can feel how nervous the whole defence is with him in the sticks. His lack of control or command of his box seeps through the squad like chewing tobacco and puts the shakes on all of them in a less pleasant way. He can make some good stops - but he's a professional keeper, that's box 1 to tick - but you can feel the apprehension that his presence brings in the terrace.

• It IS a forum for exchanging opinions and I respect your opinion Mr. Parry (if you are indeed Mr. Parry). Harriman was at fault for the Grimsby goal and admitted as much in the Vere post match. Apart from that error I thought he had a reasonable first half and certainly could not be described as 'awful'. Just my opinion though.

• I'm getting told it was a sido asset!!!!