Skip to content

Match day thread: Notts County

Comments

• @Malone said:
    micra, same as at the weekend wasn't it? Harriman the only defensive cover then too, with Bean auxiliary cover if desperate!

You’re right @Malone. I probably didn’t take it in last week because I wasn’t as concerned about the defence against Port Vale minus Tom Pope as I am with Stead and Ameobi to contend with.

We need PCH and Kashket to come on sooner rather than later today. I reckon their pace and trickery could be very effective against a relatively lumbering defence.

• edited March 2018

0-0 FT. Given other results, particularly Exeter's defeat, a very good point.

Four points clear of Notts Co., five clear of Exeter and six clear of Coventry.

• Ainsworth obviously didn’t want to take the chance of losing but you do wonder if we had gone for it we would now be 7 points clear. But then again he hasn’t got much wrong this season.

• We can't be too greedy, but imagine if we could have nicked a winner. That would be an incredibly strong position.

However, Exeter's defeat makes today a very good point.

6 huge games left.

• Listening to the commentary, I reckon we should be eternally grateful that Notts County didn’t steal one hell of a march on us. Phew!
    Adam El-Abd, eh?

• Really? A guy put the game up live on the FB group, and it looked like we had as good if not slightly better of it?

• Thought we needed changes earlier Bloomfield and Tyson looked knackered but great result in the end with results all going our way el abd superb performance again never seen a big man dive about as much as amiobi it really was pathetic

• Never thought I would say this but well done C**l U and great to see Sam Saunders taking part in the pre match warm up - hopefully he’s not too far off now.

• Tight, cagey game. In the end it is a great point given how other results went. Really need to turn round our home form and collect three points on Monday.

Thought the defence did well and both Sido and El Abd should take some credit for keeping Ameobi and Stead fairly quiet. Brown made a couple of excellent saves and also did well to punch a couple under pressure.

Surprised we didn’t get someone on for Tyson when he tired in the final 15 mins. Before that he was our best outlet a gave his full back a tough game.

Referee was exceedingly poor. Very inconsistent and easily fooled, which both teams exploited.

• That was a v good result. A proper battle. Sido clearly injured all 2nd half did his bit. El-abd was class today - won everything.

Notts got on top for a bit but we were stronger second half. With other results going our way, a decent afternoon.

And I agree with @Glenactico - a dire referee. Totally lost it with the entire ground united in derision.

• Yep, very decent point. El-Abd MOTM for me, Tyson and CMS worked very hard and offered good outlets, Bayo did his thing and was unlucky not to score, midfield worked hard, Harriman seamlessly slotted back in, Brown made a few important contributions. 16 more points...

• How good were JJ and El Abd today?

If we go up both deserve big credit for their roles this season

• El-Abd was excellent not sure Sido will be available on Monday as he was limping for the whole of the second half looks like Jacobson may have to move to centre back as there doesn’t appear to be any alternative?

Also looks to me that Moore may be done for the season. He could barely walk round the side of the pitch when he went off. May have to stick Bean right back and Harriman play left back?

Definitely down to the bare bones now!

• results went our way today...monday is a must win!!! think paris needs to come in i feel. i would try PCH, Beast and katchet.

• Good effort all round. agree on El-Abd, very strong. Thought we just shaded it but with other results going our way a damm good point. Excellent noise from the travelling support - bring the same performance on Monday and who knows, we could be very comfortable with a weekend off.

• Hope everyone got home safely in atrocious driving conditions. A couple of accidents between Coventry and Leamington where there was a lot of surface water.

Great battling performance by all the team today and superb noisy support from our fans. My ears are still recovering!

• Great point all considered. El Abd was magnificent but everyone played their part. Win on Monday and we’re in a great position. Wasn’t very impressed by County.

• I'm going all out and saying 4 wins will see us up

• Just back. Hideous driving conditions on the return, eh?

Really enjoyed the game for the atmosphere - great support from our fans today. Thought we had the better of play overall and might have scored a winner, especially in the second half when we seemed a bit more cohesive than in the first. That said, they had a couple of good chances, especially when Ameobi hit the post in the first half after a wicked cross from the right. Not sure on their first penalty shout but confident the second was not. Agree with earlier posters about El Abd - he was fantastic today.

Both teams tried their very best to play on the ref today. Quite what their manager thought he was doing getting himself sent to the stands in the first half, even after having been spoken to previously, I don't know. But his conduct was something of a microcosm of both sets of players. Honestly, they get the referees they deserve and cannot complain overly if, as today, they go to ground so dramatically and complain so hypocritically. Though I suspect he got a couple of decisions wrong, I actually thought the ref was admirably composed given the amount of niggling and diving that he had to contend with. I've loved this season and admire the commitment and skill our players have shown to get us to this point. I also am a big fan of Gareth's for his apparently easy manner and phlegmatism. But I don't enjoy the cynical timewasting and the occasional amateur dramatics that today saw Browny booked for pretending to want a towel from the ballboy before taking a free kick (for goodness' sake) and he and JJ doing impressions of dead men after winning free kicks. It diminishes them in my estimation rather than raising them. Don't get me wrong: I'm aware it's almost standard behaviour. But I dream - almost certainly in vain, I know - of supporting a team that is better than that.

• edited March 2018

PS. With four out of six remaining matches against teams in the bottom nine, we've really got this in our own hands now.

I'd like to do Barnet a favour on Monday.

• El-Abd was absolutely awesome today...he cannot have played better in a Wycombe shirt. Mom by a country mile. Really great point and a terrific all round team performance, which included the away support!!

• That's 3 clean sheets in 4 games since Sido and El-Abd teamed up in the middle.

• @Vital said:
    That's 3 clean sheets in 4 games since Sido and El-Abd teamed up in the middle.

Good point. It would be quite neat if, after a season packed with goals, we were able to secure promotion through a few hard-earned clean sheets.

• El Abd and Jacobson were superb. Great point. Let’s hope injuries don’t mess up the team too badly for the remaining games.

• Loved Bayo giving their keeper a fist bump after the save, he’s a classy guy.

• Kevin Nolan is proving to be a bit of an arse. Quote from today about the ref: 'I think he was looking for a bit of a name for himself because he sent Kevin Nolan to the stands.' It's bad enough referring to himself in the third person, but when that reference is clearly intended to imply that he is a big, famous name...

• El Abd over Pierre and on that performance that can't be questioned, he was absolutely magnificent !!!

• @rmjlondon said:
    El Abd over Pierre and on that performance that can't be questioned, he was absolutely magnificent !!!

defensively agree howver pierre much more of an attacking threat and considerable quicker

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    defensively agree howver pierre much more of an attacking threat and considerable quicker

El Abd a real leader and better all round defender. You can see why he has played at a higher level throughout most of his career.

• Can't add anymore to what's even said, just to say that El Abd was superb today, everything we ever hoped we could be, and also what a superb display from the fans. Never stopped singing. Tyson's demonstrative display to keep it up in the second half said everything.