Skip to content

Our Best Starting Eleven

Comments

• We all have different opinions, we all think we are right , no need to have a go at someone for thinking differently. I didn't want to say at the time for fear of abuse, but, i just cant see what others see in Bean, O'Nien and Gape would always start above him in my eyes.... but hey, were all different

• @Morris_Ital Beano clueless? Not convinced you're right there, matey.

• All three of Bean, Gape and O'Nien have weaknesses. Bean isn't great at passing, Gape will never be big enough to impose himself on the opposition, O'Nien too enthusiastically employs the dark arts for my liking. But all three are good at reading the game and breaking up play and you can easily make the case for any of them starting ahead of the other two. I personally think O'Nien provides the most complete package - he covers every blade of grass, is aggressive in the tackle, plays intelligent passes and pops up with the odd goal. I actually think he's wasted playing defensive midfield and would prefer to see him partner either Saunders or Eze further forward. But until one of them gets injured I can't see that happening - and I'd prefer him on the pitch out of his best position then either Bean or Gape, even given the former's fantastic form.

• @Morris_Ital said:
    I thought the Gasroom was a internet meeting place where different views on the players and their style of play could be aired even if controversial. so I posted it expecting to be challenged “ignorant to the point of stupid” eric_plant

When you call a professional player who has played well over 400 games most at a higher level clueless, you are opening yourself up to a certain degree of abuse. Are all the managers that have selected him over his 15 year career also "clueless"?

• @Morris_Ital , what a curious post.
    Verging on the idiotic.

You're probably one of those guys who call Premier league or international players "sh!t" as well aren't you

• @HolmerBlue that’s the way I see it.
    @Wendoverman you could be right I guess I went a little hyperbole.
    @mooneyman I think I did. I was on the other side of the argument last season when Sammy Wood was was getting a fair bit of criticism. I don’t recall giving personal abuse of posters with the opposite view.
    @Malone No I don’t never have please read my back posts

• @Holmerblue What I see in Bean is a decent utility player filling in for injuries in midfield or defence. Don;t worry though, the Gasroom is safe place. You would not get abuse for disagreeing...but someone might disagree if you posted that he was total rubbish. I think that's how it works.

• Bean > Makelele

• edited October 2017

@Morris_Ital no worries - we all go a bit hyperbole every now and then.

• Morris, it's absolutely fine having opinions on players.

But to unequivocally label a player as clueless, when that evidently can't be correct, is stupid. Don't get all pissy when people call you out on it

• Find it pretty unbelievable that @eric_plant says our first choice 3 in midfield is so obviously Bean, Eze and Saunders, despite all 3 having been in excellent form this season.

I think we saw how much we missed O'Nien on Saturday. I wanted him on before they scored the second goal let alone the third.

Saunders struggles to get through 90 minutes these days.

I think i'd start with O'Nien alongside Bean and Eze in a midfield three at the moment, with Saunders coming off the bench for impact.

All of this without mentioning Gape, an excellent player in his own right, and Bloomfield too. It is testimony to the strength we have in the position.

• To be honest, Dale, I hadn’t noticed Sam Saunders struggling too much. That incredible mazey run into the box on Saturday was quite late in the game, literally a minute after I and several around me had been calling for him to be subbed. Perhaps he’d just had a lengthy breather, in which case your point is a good on!

• ....a good one even.

• I've never really noticed Saunders struggling to get through a game fitness wise. He does tend to get injured too often for my liking but I've never noticed him getting tired.

• @eric_plant said:
    Morris, it's absolutely fine having opinions on players.

But to unequivocally label a player as clueless, when that evidently can't be correct, is stupid. Don't get all pissy when people call you out on it

So let me get this straight I’m ignorant stupid and pissy? but I’m entitled to my opinion, guess what I don’t feel entitled.

• edited October 2017

@Morris_Ital : is the point not that, while we can state whatever view we might have freely, we none of us expect everyone to agree with us automatically (how ever much we may wish it so)? And if we choose to express a dismissive view of someone, we might perhaps not reasonably complain if our view is met dismissively...

• For opinions to be credible they need to have some basis of reality. To label a player clueless after over 400 games mostly at a higher level just doesn't stand up to sensible thinking. Yes Bean is coming to the end of his career, but I can remember three times already this season where he has been been given MOTM. Would all his previous managers and ours keep selecting him if he was truly clueless?

• @HCblue said:
    Morris_Ital : is the point not that, while we can state whatever view we might have freely, we none of us expect everyone to agree with us automatically (how ever much we may wish it so)? And if we choose to express a dismissive view of someone, we might perhaps not reasonably complain if our view is met dismissively...

As I said I was guilty of a bit of hyperbole didn’t expect the personal stuff lesson learned

• Could have been worse @Morris_Ital if you want really personal you just need to upset richie boy.

• Didn't think I'd ever see the day when someone seriously suggested leaving Sam Saunders out of the team

Incredible scenes

• Beans means promotion.

No Beans, mid table

• I think it's testament to Eze's quality that there's even the notion of leaving Saunders out.

For now though, it's Bean, Eze, Saunders holding the shirts.

However, we all know an injury, suspension, rotation and one of O Nien or Gape coming in and doing excellently, quickly changes things.

• Fair enough, @Morris_Ital. I didn't mean it horribly! :-)

• Yes, @eric_plant if you'd told me we would bring in a loanee with just as much if not more quality than Sam Saunders, I wouldn't have believed you. But Eze is that player and we should enjoy him whilst we have him.

Saunders is a great player but I think Luke's all action energy would give us a bit more balance in a midfield three.

Personally I think with the personnel currently available i would be playing a 4-1-2-1-2 formation to accommodate all 4 players and CMS/ Bayo as a front pair but I accept a deviation from 433 is probably unlikely.

• Wow. A bit OTT on @Morris_Ital today! I don’t agree with his comment but having spent most of last season watching 11 ‘clueless’ players in light and dark blue hoof the ball upfield at every opportunity he’s not being that insulting to professional footballers.

Personally if we play Saunders and Eze I think we have to go with Bean as defensive cover as I see O’Nein as much more a box to box midfielder. If we were to play O’Nein with Eze or Saunders i’d bring Gape into midfield instead of Bean though

• I agree with @DJWYC14 on his formation of choice based on players available.

We're stacked in centre mid, and (once defensive numbers are restored of course), to not have Gape and O Nien starting seems a waste.
    Meanwhile, Tyson and Kashket are out, and Paris isn't quite on form at the moment.

Therefore, why not put CMS in his best position, Eze off the front 2 so he has less defensive responsibilities, and O Nien/Gape come in alongside Saunders, while Bean cleans up.
    I could see that system helping CMS, Saunders and Eze, with only Freeman missing out.

• Couple of points there, Malone. Having watched and admired CMS for many years playing, if memory serves, through the middle, I am intrigued to know what you think is his best position. It seems to me that he has been playing wide right for us, very much in the Ainsworth mould.

It would be sad if Nick Freeman missed out as he has been playing superbly in a very controlled and thoughtful manner. But he is still learning of course and can only get better. Great to at least have him as an impact sub.

• edited October 2017

Well, quite @micra. He's a central striker, who is doing a decent job out wide, but could excel centrally. Same deal with Tyson really.

Freeman is a classy, almost non English style player, in that he always looks for a pass, and keeps possession well. No worries at all about him getting what is probably his first "proper" good run in the team in his time here.
    Just hate to see genuine league 2 quality on the bench. I always thought Sido was wasted and unlucky to be benched too.

• First calls for 442 for a while. Do I take it we have not won for a couple of games?

• Genuine League 1?