Skip to content

Another Plymouth player with a chequered past

Just seen this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38651041

In fairness, he has been dropped by Plymouth for the foreseeable

Comments

• Unfortunate surname.

• Bit of a moral maze here. Facts of the case on the face of it appears to have some similarities to the Evans case. Except of course as it stands Evans has now been found not to have been guilty of any crime whereas the unfortunately named Goodwillie has been found guilty of rape in a civil case but not a criminal one. My knowledge of Scottish law is not sufficient to understand whether there is a difference in burden of proof between the two.

Quite a mess to resolve, both from a moral and a legal one. not surprised Argyle have suspended him on full pay until the situation becomes clearer.

• I really do hope this is not going to develop into another poor man's moral maze.

• Is there a term which means the opposite of nominative determinism?

• A number of years ago the PFA issued a crass guidance about having witnesses to sexual consent (to prevent honey trappers as much as anything else). It seems a number of these footballers seem to be taking along a mate as a matter of course.

• Just when you thought certain football supporters could reach no lower, I understand a section of Argyle's crowd at the weekend thought it would be clever and witty to sing and I quote "he shags who he wants, he shags who wants, David Goodwillie, he shags who he wants".

To his credit, Mr McCormick, behind whose goal they were located, quickly and forcibly suggested they may wish to desist.

Makes our little bunch of idiots look lie the choirboys they occasionally still get mistaken for.

• Incidentally, if anyone is interested, Goodwillie and Plymouth have "parted company"

• I wonder if he had banged in 15 goals so far this season if the moral high ground would have been maintained. He has (according to their fans) been shit and has only scored one or two.

• He scores when he wants, etc.

• "witty" chants in support of a man's actions that were found in court to constitute rape, Mr onlooker? Really?

• @DevC you reported a section of Plymouth's crowd chanted that at the weekend I thought.