Skip to content

England versus Pakistan

edited October 10 in Not Football

Remarkable scenes in Multan as Joe Root reaches another double century after more than eight hours at the crease in intense heat.

Comments

• edited October 10

Fantastic, all though if the pitch doesn't crumble tomorrow, it will be a waste of a test match.

Was looking at other records. Can either of them get to Brian Lara's 400*

Highest partnership was Sangakkara and Jayawardene - 624

I suspect both are out of reach if we want to try and force a result.

Most runs in a calendar year is 1788 by Mohammed Yousuf, Root is on 1245 at lunch today. This could be realistic with 5 more tests to go after this one in 2024. If he can score 150 runs per test, he'd hit 2000! Highly unlikely but you never know. Might be worth a bet now for those who like a gamble...

Lots of times two batsmen have had double hundreds in a test match innings but there has never been two batsmen to get triple hundreds in same innings...this could be on! (I realise I have just jinxed both of them straight after lunch!)

• Brooks just lost his wicket on 317, fantastic knock.

• 4th highest test innings total in history

• Extraordinary scenes.

• And a wicket for Woakes first ball!

• If we don't get a result here it will be Joe Root's fault. Strike rate just below 70 in modern test cricket, shilly-shallying about there.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited October 10

Well, 4 Pakistani wickets down already; perhaps we forgive Joe his tortoise paced 262.

• I went into a meeting with them one down and thought I'd miss not much. Come back to a mini collapse - can always rely on Pakistan cricket to do some self destructive!

• edited October 10

Amazing - just when I thought the game had done with surprises.

• I didn't like the way England collapsed from 703-3 to 799-7 πŸ˜€

• I listened to TMS today and Aggers talking about the day 4 impact. After 3 and a half days of batting ease I thought there was no chance of a result. And here we are. That is why Aggers is the best.

• Pakistan on 83-6 so we only need 3 more wickets as one of their bowlers is missing today through illness.

• edited October 10

To be fair, we have a VERY long tail in this game. Leach, Bashir & Carse aren't in the team for their batting! Atkinson made a great ton in the summer but its too soon to call him an all-rounder. Woakes, while classed as an all-rounder, has only ever scored 1 international ton and a handful of 50's. So all of those put together, isn't going to add a massive amounts to the score.

Smith seems like a go big or go home type of player and whoever was at the other end of Brooks would have just given him the strike

• I enjoyed @AlanCecil’s irony.

• Anyone checked the weather forecast for Multan tomorrow?

I’m saying nothing!!

• 462 Degrees C - according to the BBC. I bet Root could cope with that!

• I think it’s all over.

• It is now!