Skip to content

Man of the Match season update (8/46)

This could finally be the year Scowen does not dominate this competition, but we shall see! Udoh has come out of the gate very strong, and this could be a very close season, for once.

Overall votes:

1. Udoh - 92
  2. Sadlier - 70
  3. Kone - 60
  4. Scowen - 50
  5. Humphreys - 46

Votes per start:

1. Udoh - 18.4
  2. Sadlier - 14
  3. Humphreys - 11.5
  4. Kone - 10
  5. Morley - 8.2

MOTM awards:

1. Udoh - 2
  2. Six others - 1

Comments

• Thank you @Shev , a great piece of work as usual.

• Thanks for compiling. What I particularly like about Udoh - amongst many things - is that his barges always have excellent measure and intensity. Just enough to knock the defender off balance. Not enough to give fouls away regularly. Too often we have observed our strikers regularly give away cheap fouls - some of them because of poor refereeing, but you have to play the referee you’re dealt with and Udoh seems to get it spot on. Many have tried to get the balance right: Vokes, Bayo, Samuel, Kone, Uche, TJ, etc. but none get it right anywhere near as often as Udoh.

And he does a hell of a lot more than the above.

• It shows the strength of the side that GMac, in the form of his life, is only 7th, with no outright MoMs.

• 77% of the votes in one game! @Shev do you have stats on games where someone has received a higher percentage of the vote at all? I would assume there are a few but 77% seems extraordinary.

• Interesting how spread out the MoM awards have been with only one player winning it more than once.

• Here is an updated list of raw votes I did after Rotherham, with only those who achieved over 50 votes. Percentages are now added in too, as tiebreakers.

After the tiebreaker is applied, Udoh has the 9th greatest performance on votes in the MOTM poll era (21/22 onwards) and the 4th greatest by percentage of the vote.

So, only five performances have garnered at least 50 votes and 75% of the vote - and Joe Low has two of them!

1. 74 - Jacobson (Sunderland H 21-22) 78.72%
    2. 67 - McCleary (Charlton H 21-22) 79.76%
    3. 64 - Forino (Sheffield Weds H 21-22) 62.74%
    4. 60 - Low (Leyton Orient H 23-24) 77.92%
    5. 56 - Mehmeti (Plymouth A 21-22) 68.29%
    6. 56 - Mehmeti (Portsmouth H 22-23) 62.22%
    7. 55 - Scowen (Sheffield Wednesday H 22-23) 67.90%
    8. 53 - Low (Bristol Rovers A 23-24) 76.81%
    9. 51 - Udoh (Blackpool A 24-25) 77.27%
    10. 51 - Lonwijk (Derby H 23-24) 70.83%
    11. 50 - Wheeler (MK Dons H 22-23) 73.52%
    12. 50 - Wheeler (Bristol Rovers H 22-23) 62.50%

• I will probably keep this list active and update it periodically, as it is nice to hone in on legendary performances even more!

• edited October 3

Did you not do one for the Oxford play off final? Or was that pre doing this? Just thinking Anthony Stewart would have got hundreds

That's a great pub discussion actually. What game in our history would have seen the highest percentage of votes going to one player?

• Bas Richardson v Plymouth?

• Martin Taylor away at Millwall during "that" cup run springs to mind

Tony Hemmings at home to Crewe the game after Keith Scott left for Swindon

There will be hundreds of candidates really. Just nice to remember awesome performances in a Wycombe shirt

• Simultaneously both the best moment (because we won the game) and worst moment (because we had to watch it on f***king TV - thanks COVID 🤬) supporting WWFC.

Although the wins at Selhurst Park & Filbert Street come pretty close.

• I only started doing it at the start of the 21/22 season, unfortunately, so just a little way into the 4th season. I also have only done league games until this season, when I am (trying to) do all games, though only league games will count towards the Josh Scowen Trophy at the end of the season.

• Eze against Cambridge would have garnered a ton of votes, and the CMS hattrick game against Crawley too.

• Dom Gape would’ve got a lot at Chesterfield, if only for scoring the goal that sent us up

• Scott Brown away at Luton that season would have won by a landslide that night

• Absolutely, what a performance. Tyson scored two and would’ve been thoroughly overshadowed. One of my all time favourite away days

• Thankfully we don't vote on opposition MOTM, or Alfie May would have hit 100% a few years back.

• Fascinating insight. That’s a skill which I suspect has crossed the minds of very few of us. I’ll certainly make a point of looking out for it the next time I watch him play.

Whoops, almost forgot. I’d like to add my own appreciation for the great job @Shev does on this topic.