Skip to content

Injury news 2024/25

Comments

• Here's the latest injury update.

Fred Onyedinma (match fitness) | Last played: 13th May 2024 | Return date: 1-2 weeks

Gideon Kodua (unknown) | Last played: 31st August 2024 | Return date: not known

Luke Leahy (knee) | Last played: 20th August 2024 | Return date: 1-2 weeks

Ryan Tafazolli (hamstring) | Last played: 17th August 2024 | Return date: end of October

Sam Vokes (knee) | Last played: 20th August 2024 | Return date: end of October

Nathan Bishop (fractured ankle) | Last played: 17th August 2024 | Return date: end of November

Brandon Hanlan (ACL) | Last played: 11th November 2023 | Return date: November

• Crazy that I had forgotten Leahy was injured

• Vokes must have been gutted after starting the season on such great form.

• yup. I think he was running at about 8 goals per 90 mins.

• edited September 19

Yep, 7.83 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers - the only player on that chart whose goals per 90 doesn't start with 0.

edit: oh, there's one other

• We have too many first team players

• Surely Bishop won't play for us again? We don't need four keepers.

• I would suggest he will probably come back in when fit. He would have gone back to Sunderland if that wasn’t the intention.

• I would say that he is now surplus to requirements. It’s unfortunate from the lad’s point of view but it does feel as if it wasn’t to be.

• He’s still listed as a Wycombe player on official website and the club were keen to point out that he was unavailable for the squad photo. Would be odd to say that if his loan had been ended.

• That’s true. Presumably he’s getting treatment at Sunderland and we’ll assess the situation closer to the time.

• Taf revealed details of his injury this evening. Same injury as Bish but he opted against surgery. He reckons he’s a week or two away.

Also said it’s the same injury he had in the Championship season, but he felt he rushed back too soon from that one. Lessons learned for him.

• I thought Bishop broke his ankle?

• edited September 21

Has Taf done his ankle ligaments then?

• edited September 21

@bluntphil will be able to confirm I’m sure, but yeah at the end of the commentary Taf said he had the same injury as Bish and was due back next week.

• If Bish has the same injury, then it doesn't sound like he will be out for many months. Seeing as George hasn't dislodged Rav yet where does that leave the pecking order for our keepers?

• edited September 21

Unless for "same injury" we're meaning different grades of ankle ligament strains. A grade 1 you could be back fairly soon, a grade 3 being not far off an ankle break in some regards.

• The recovery times are different as Bishop had surgery. I’m hoping somebody will be able to listen back to the commentary on WanderersTV to confirm what I heard.

• As I keep saying I expect Bishop to come back in when fit. It’s pointless keeping him here if that isn’t the intention

• edited September 21

Surely surgery for ankle injuries depends on the severity, rather than being down to choice?

Things like hernias you can understand the choice aspect more

• I can see there being a choice element. If you’re early in your career it’s worth having longer out for surgery to permanently fix a potential recurring problem, but once you’re in your thirties you might only play for a few more seasons so you wouldn’t want to miss half of one and would rather just run the risk of it happening again.

• Bloomfield now in either a very good position or an unenviable position depending on how you look at it. Assuming he picks the same team as v Cambridge at Bristol Rovers the following players are competing for six outfield bench spots: Pattenden, McCarthy, Hartridge, Skura, Bakinson, Butcher, Wheeler, Leahy, Sadlier, Onyedinma, Lubala. Good luck keeping everyone happy!

• Such a contrast with a few short years back when we couldn't fill the bench and any injury was a serious blow.

Once winter kicks in and we're regularly playing twice a week, pretty sure everyone will get their turn.

Exciting times.

• It's got to be the strongest ever squad we've had. We could comfortably field 2 teams where you'd have a real debate which is better

Rav

Grimmer, Lowe, Taylor, Harvie

Scowen,Morley, Humphreys

McCleary, Kone, Udoh

George

Pattenden, Taf, Skura, Hartridge

Butcher, Leahy, Bakinson

Fred, Lubala, Sadlier

Not even in the 22 above

Bishop, Wheeler, Vokes, Hanlan, McCarthy, Kodua, Bartolo,

29 players and will be forgetting a couple of development players no doubt too.

If ever we have even 90% of that lot fit at the same time we could have real fun trying to keep everyone happy!

• I do feel for Blooms with this selection headache, but its one I'm sure he is relishing. The options in this squad is frightening, i feel we are onto something this season!

• Is he actually here? Nobody else could register him until January at the earliest and he can't play at the moment for anyone so no need for us or them (or him) to make any decisions right now.

Rav is still playing well and the new guy will surely get a chance in one of the competitions soon.

• He was pictured in the tunnel at the Stadium of Light last Saturday which suggests not.

• Here's the latest injury update ahead of Crawley Town on Saturday (October 5th).

With Luke Leahy and Fred Onyedinma returning from injuries and building up their fitness, we have just five players unavailable.

Ryan Tafazolli (hamstring) | Last played: 17th August 2024 | Return date: 2-3 weeks

Sam Vokes (knee) | Last played: 20th August 2024 | Return date: 2-3 weeks

Gideon Kodua (unknown) | Last played: 31st August 2024 | Return date: not known

Brandon Hanlan (ACL) | Last played: 11th November 2023 | Return date: Crawley Town (EFL Trophy) 12th November?

Nathan Bishop (fractured ankle) | Last played: 17th August 2024 | Return date: before Christmas

• Thanks for these updates! It's nice to have everything in one place.