Skip to content

Mansfield Town - Saturday 7th September

edited August 21 in Football

Nigel Clough giving an early-ish insight into whether this game will be going ahead.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town-set-to-resume-league-derby-rivalries-with-lincoln-city-4751379

Comments

• edited August 29

Well Bartolo and Low will both be missing as they're on international duty, but unless either side gets 3 call-ups then the game will still go ahead. Mansfield could lose Baccus and Akins to Australia and Grenada respectively, but again that's only 2 players. Unless they count McKeal Abdullah as a senior player, as he may get called up for Pakistan if they have any games next week.

• What's the latest the game can be called off for call ups?

• Monday I think

• The games on and will be played on the 7th Sept.

• Monday is ridiculously short notice to call the game off. People buy train tickets, book hotels & could have everything thrown into chaos by a late call off. Just play the bloody game!!!!

• Sadly some countries don’t name squads until Sunday.

Additionally either Wycombe or Mansfield could sign an international player today.

Not great though.

• Mansfield Town have signed midfielder Ben Waine on a season-long loan from Plymouth Argyle this evening.

Waine is a New Zealand international and Keanu Baccus and Lucas Akins have already been called up.

• edited August 30

Waine is in the NZ squad for the games in Mexico next Sat, and then USA. But can they really claim him as international player no.3? he’s not really likely to even train with Mansfield before he buggers off with the all-whites. It would be a very tenuous use of the rule...

• The “rules” on who counts as an international player are fairly tenuous so Mansfield are likely to be able to argue that the game should be off.

• edited August 30

It would @LeedsBlue and I must admit I’m not sure whether he would come under this rule.

Mansfield Town have just lost their best player, Davis Keillor-Dunn, who has signed for Barnsley for £700,000.

• With the injuries we have it might actually be to our advantage to get the game postponed.

Not saying that isn't hugely disruptive and disrespectful to the supporters though.

• Now confirmed as off due to Mansfield international call ups.

• They probably need to do one of 2 things.

1) Have no league 1 fixtures on international weekends, as per top 2 tiers. Save everyone this will they won't they business.

2)Tighten up the rules of what constitutes an international player / level of competition.

Number 2 is probably more controversial so number 1 would be the easy win.

• Or 3) say sod it, you signed those players and knew the possible risks, everyone has to play on regardless. Current situation is ludicrous.

• A f***ing farce! Apart from anything else WW could have expected a bigger-than-normal crowd as there are no Premier League or Championship matches. With Wycombe's long injury list both teams have a disadvantage. But (as usual) the paying supporters are not considered.

• The question of what actually constitutes an international player for the purposes of call offs was asked of the EFL a couple of years back.

There was no hard and fast rule apparently. But an unofficial understanding was that if a player has been in three of the last five matchday squads they count.

Unless the rules/understanding has changed, Mansfield have presumably been able to argue their new signing counts.

• @MindlessDrugHoover I completely agree. The other thing I'd impose under the current rule is that an away side calling a fixture off has to compensate the home side for the lost revenue from the Saturday fixture. Many teams wouldn't see that as a great barrier, but it would focus a few minds.

• pathetic and shambolic , crowd will be well down both from home and away

• I get ‘shambolic’ but why ‘pathetic’?

• If Mansfield have been able to call a game off a week away, because they signed a 3rd international player yesterday that is hilariously silly.

• I hadn't realized it was more or less up to the clubs to decide. Completely mad, especially when they've just signed number three.

• Nice idea but unworkable I’m afraid. How would you decide what figure the compensation would be? Do you include potential food and beverage sales, car parking charges etc and anyway it’s still possible the game could be played on a Saturday if, for instance, both clubs are knocked out of the FA Cup.

• It's not remotely unworkable. Once the rescheduled game has been played, the home team presents an estimate for the missed Saturday fixture plus evidence for the estimate and, on that basis, a claim for lost revenue. The away team can dispute it if they wish and then there's a Football League-appointed panel of independent bean counters to arbitrate if no agreement can be reached - in the style of transfer fee dispute resolution.

• All but 3 of next Saturday's L1 fixtures have now been postponed, which seems pretty standard nowadays. So many people's plans avoidably disrupted, so many clubs facing a financial hit. Surely must be time to include L1, if not L2 as well, in the fixture break?

• Pointless. There would just be an endless list of disputes regarding the estimates and both parties would no doubt have to pay extortionate costs for the EFL "bean counters", plus huge delays

It also works both ways. Say we were due to play Birmingham at St Andrews and we called the game off because we had 3 internationals called up, their losses would probably be la lot larger than ours so we would lose out overall.

• edited September 1

Seems the easiest solution all round.

If they can find alternative fixture slots for the same amount of games championship, they can do the same for league 1.

• The lawyers would love that arbitration. Would cost more than it raises and delay games for weeks. Agree, totally impractical.

I think we should go back to clubs having to suck it up and get on with it, they often moan about fixture pile ups and have players who could use some opportunity. It also gives a small advantage to smaller clubs who are less likely to be affected, although bigger clubs will have stronger squads.

If anything there should be something in place to make sure fans will be charged less for games where the first team isn't out.

• Trouble is it might be the home team who call for a postponement. Do they then have to compensate the away team for any extra travel and accommodation costs of playing a midweek game.

• I can't wait for the latest Nation's League games, said no one ever.