Skip to content

Transfer deadline day - August 2024

Given the digression on the Rumour Mill thread, our current injury “crisis” and the need for more additions before “the window slams shut” ™ at 11pm tomorrow, I thought I’d start this thread.

How many players do we need?

Another goalkeeper - we’re being linked with Livingston goalkeeper Shamal George

Left-back - does Dan Harvie need some competition?

Centre-back - do we need cover with Ryan Tafazolli’s fitness record? Declan Skura ready to step up? Is Alex Hartridge up to it?

Striker - with Sam Vokes out do we need a No.9 in a similar mould?

Any other positions you’d like to see us strengthen?

Comments

• We need a keeper as not sure we can ask Shala yet. Good keeper but inexperienced.

Happy With Hartridge and Harvie as left backs.

Would say we need one more centre back even though Skura was formidable last night.

I’d like to see another winger and maybe a centre forward. Also think some of our fringe players could go out on loan - one of Pattenden or McCarthy, Young

• One goalkeeper

One defender

One additional attacking player

One champions by Christmas.

• Skura's performance last night might have put a spanner in the works, in the best way. Why bring in a untested PL or Championship young centre back when we have our own? Bringing one in might inhibit Skura's development. The coaching team will know where he is and if last night was his absolute peak or his norm.

We need a 'keeper. A problem with Rav would mean an emergency loan and although the last one was brilliant we might not be so lucky again.

And then it is knowing who is injured and for how long whether we need to recruit further. A Sam Vokes is not easy to replace, Leahy we seem to have covered, Jack Grimmer can be replaced by Jasper and JMac The former definitely deserves a chance.

• On the GK front, Franco is currently keeping goal. He seems to be doing well. Lets assume Bishop is out until Christmas We are not convinced Shala is ready yet to fill in if required. Is the argument to bring in another GK 1) to replace Franco 2) to make him worry that he might be replaced 3) to replace Franco if he become injured.

I don't think 1) is necessary. 3) isn't necessary as we could bring in an emergency loan keeper in that scenario. Not personally convinced 2) justifies the cost.

• edited August 29

We probably need more cover at CB with the injury situation but it's time to give Skura his chance. Just as we did with Forino, and that didn't turn out too badly.

• I think Skura has shown enough to make the step up. 4 centre backs, with the option to bring Grimmer in as extra cover, should be adequate.

• I agree plus I think we need a keeper now as Bishop is likely to be out for quite a few months. Maybe an additional front player to cover Sadlier.

• Are you saying a keeper to replace Rav as number 1?

• How many senior squad positions do we still have open? We need @flymofrank and his spreadsheet!

We need another keeper to back up Rav, although the emergency loan option makes this less pressing.

I'd like another centre forward, after Udoh and Kone our next options are completely untested in the football league. If we don't sign one i'll trust that Vokes and Bez are close to being fit.

CB is interested isn't it? If Taff and Grimmer are out long term it would be good to have another body back there, but even then we've still got Low, Hartridge and Skura. In extremis McCarthy can play there.

• Feel for Franco if we do sign a GK as a number 1 , think Franco has done amazing when starting for us. We defo need cover as CB, Skura looks some player but to throw him straight into line up may do more harm than good , also if we pick up an injurey then we could be in trouble , we need someone with experience not a prem u21 player though. Would be also good to target a number 10 and a number 9 to cover Kone .

• I don’t think we need any more players unless we lose any. Who should we be mildly worried about losing? Joe Low? Kone? Jmac?

If Leahy is out for the season then there’s possibly an argument for left back / left centre back coverage, but I don’t think any signings will want to be third or fourth choice left back. Probably a very inexperienced loanee.

• A lot obviously depends on the length of time certain players need to recover.

Rav is doing just fine - use the emergency loan option if needed.

Grimmer covered by JP and JMac

Need another option at CB if Taf is long term.

Leahy covered by loans and could arguably struggle to get back in.

Vokes is a tricky one but if Bez and Wheeler are on their way back then probably no need.

I would get to January and then strengthen where needed.

Future looks bright!!!

• Agree with all this. Another CB and think we can be pretty satisfied with the squad through to January.

• edited August 29

I know football is a ruthless game, but if you bring another keeper in to "compete with" (i.e. replace) Rav, then you have to ask what the point of having him in the first place was?

Just fill the bench with a rookie teen like other years otherwise.

• Looks like the Livingstone lad used to be at Colchester, so maybe that is the connection. Looking at his profile, I can’t see him coming in as an instant No.1 ahead of Rav.

Rav deserves his chance but he does need competition to keep him honest.

• If we are spending a five figure sum on a goalkeeper he will be ahead of Ravizolli.

• Always good to have competition for the keeper space. Ravs to lose but if he does start playing badly, I'd rather we have someone challenging him.

• I think we can get pele maybe

• Spending money on a 'keeper seems like a mad thing to do, unless we're terminating Bishop's loan.

• It doesn’t seem mad to me. It shows that our owners have ambitions higher than mid-table.

• But the owners have suggested consolidation is their goal this season. Its not promotion or bust.

Paying money for a keeper seems mad when 1) Rav is a good L1 keeper, 2) Bishop is probably a very good L1 keeper, 3) if Rav gets hurt during a game we have Shala, and 4) if Rav gets hurt during training we can still loan a keeper outside the window.

I can see the benefit to loaning in a keeper so we can loan Shala out, but not paying money for one.

• When have the owners ever mentioned consolidation? The signings made, especially the loan ones, are certainly not with consolidation in mind.

it seemed to have been decided in the summer that Ravizolli was not good enough for No.1. With Bishop out for three months, it makes every sense to get in a better keeper, given the apparent aspirations.

• When the owner is worth 10 figures then spending 5 figures on a keeper doesn't seem very important.

• Who decided in the summer than Ravizolli was not good enough? Matt Bloomfield? Mr L?

What are the apparent aspirations? How did these aspirations become apparent (I have seen no mention of specific targets)?

• The initial interview with Dan Rice. He even said something like we could have competed with Birmingham but chose not to.

• I remember Rav getting a new contract and the #1 squad number. Doesn't suggest that to me

• That would mean when Bishop is fit, Rav would be our number 3!

• I assume the ‘when’ is indefinitely into the future. Perhaps Bishop’s loan will be cut short so he can rehab back on Wearside.

• Not competing with Birmingham and consolidating are two separate things