Skip to content

Match Day Thread: wimbledon (EFL Trophy)

12346»

Comments

• I get where you are coming from @TheAndyGrahamFanClub but if we have to rely on Young and Ward to make up our midfield then I seriously think we will struggle. Young is not League 1 level and Ward is pretty much untried in the first 11.

• Oh hell no, not suggesting they are close to a start. But even without Leahey you have Bakinson, Scowen, Butcher, Humphreys(?) and Wheeler capable in that role then you are looking at understudies and Ward and Young have to be understudies. But after 3 years at the club Young finds himself behind probably our strongest contingent.

We have a really good reputation at blooding raw talent especially from non-league and that is why Young has remained an enigma as he came from the other end of the scale. Barely a glimpse in three years.

• I’m not sure we had any other players available (with the possible exceptions of Jack Matton and Brody Peart).

We’ve been blackmailed by Premier League clubs and cajoled by the other EFL clubs to play in this wretched competition, whilst selling our soul for the filthy lucre.

Some key players were always going to be at risk of injury. You make your bed, you have to lie in it.

• Was it this cup Keith Ryan got injured in back in the day, or was it the B&B?

I remember O Neill was utterly infuriated that the rules almost forced your hand into playing key players, yet you couldn't use the cup to serve suspensions.

• Working in Surrey and living in Oxfordshire, I ended up with the West Ham fans (more than I expected) at Reading last night on my way home. If Wycombe are interested in an up and coming midfield loan this season, they could do worse than inquire about West Ham's number 61 Lewis Orford (West Ham had a number 87 playing!). Only 18, but Orford was the best player on the pitch last night. Spoke to a few Reading fans too - Couhig deal taking far longer than expected, but they also expect JJ to be part of the backroom team - didn't see him last night, but he was there on Saturday apparently.

• As I walked up Wembley way, accompanied by much of my family for what turned out to be a lovely day despite the result, I couldn't help noticing the glum faces of 40,000 supporters of both clubs around me all mourning their being forced to turn out against their will for this wretched competition and struggling to progress to the stadium against what they thought was just a strong wind but in fact was surely Beelzebub himself flying back to his lair clutching both clubs souls.

• We lost a couple of key players against Birmingham too. Maybe it’s because if you make your bed, you have to lie in it (ie we didn’t challenge more forcefully how a big club can spend so much money in our league).

• I think it was the B+B, but he was seriously injured twice wasn’t he? So it might have been both.

• It was against Chalfont St Peter in the B&B. De Souza got injured on a break to Portugal or somewhere not long afterwards

If those things don't happen Wycombe get promoted that season, Martin O'Neill stays and who knows what happens next?

• If you’re making Ryan Tafazolli a key player with his injury record then that bed is going to get uncomfortable.

• It really is a shame with Taffs - 125 games or so into his 5th season with us is not a great return, though at 30ish/season still more than I thought!

• He probably went off injured in 70 of them though.