Skip to content

Match day thread: Northampton ( League cup)

Comments

• Oh no, there’s that awful goal kick routine again.

• edited August 13

Cant believe Bloomfield ever tried Tafazolli on the left side of the back three. Mustard in the middle. Top defender. Probably should’ve started on Saturday.

• We could do with Bakinson making at least one pass.

• He’s been trained at the Jonathan Pearce school of commentators…. Thinks he’s interesting and just doesn’t shut up.

• I don’t think he’s that bad! He’d definitely be better with a co-commentator to bounce off but he’s clearly done his research and actually knows about us. He is, of course, not a patch on Phil, but we really are spoiled to have him

• Kone getting chances but lacking composure. Maybe composure will come with experience?

• He's been fine. Of course he's not got as much personality as a commentator who works for the club, but in terms of someone dropped in to the game, he's well researched and is doing well.

Meanwhile, how has Kone not made a goal of the last 2 chances?

• How are we not three up?

• That move was incredible!

• Goal to goal chance ratio is going down rapidly. At least our xG is going to look great.

• Was just typing "We've been really unlucky" and some other stuff but lol sometimes it does come around.

• FFS own goal, 😆😆😆

• I get the feeling even with his rawness he could get 15 goals quite easily this season. He just has that uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time.

• Own Goal has burst out of the blocks in fine form. Kone and Udoh had better watch out!

• lovely own goal

• edited August 13

135 minutes + added time. Four goals. Had four/five one on ones. Hit the bar five times. We are going to score shed loads this season. Excellent half. Time to experiment a bit. Would like to see Skura.

• I’m really liking Dan Udoh.

• Been a really good performance so far - I was a bit down on Saturday but even against Wrexham we looked so much more dangerous than the early stages of last season. That seems to be continuing tonight so if we can shore things up at the back we could be dangerous this season.

• 3 ATB is great, what do we know?

• Cracking performance.

3 at the back has been...quite good!

• Much better display, should have been a good few goals to the good.

But that comedy own goal makes up for it.

Utterly demoralising Northampton just before half time.

• You'd certainly take him getting these chances and narrowly missing them rather than getting nowhere near a chance to start with.

• I was gonna say, I think the commentator has been really good. Obviously he’s no match for Phil but then, who is?

Hartridge has a weapon of a throw and I’m confident we will get a few goals from it this season. Some of our attacking play has been a joy to watch and we really should be going in 3 or 4 up. The fact that Kone is showing some great, intelligent moments, whilst still being so raw…we genuinely do have our next million Pound player.

Lastly, we are definitely rattling them with our physicality in our attacking play.

Oh, second lastly I promise. Butch has to start on Saturday.

• I don't know if we've gone stronger than they have but have to be happy with that half, Taff has made a difference aerially and seems to be shouting instructions too, Hartridge seems very "all action" and I'm not yet sure if that is a good thing. One really good long rake forward from Barkinson to put Kone in, not much else from him. Good pressure and scrapping up front, Harvie being able to swap with Leahy and Udoh and Kone being comfortable out wide too is all very promising. Jasper not done anything wrong either.

• All the new boys have looked better tonight so far, Hartridge has a great long throw as well which could come in handy ! Glad we got the 2nd as I was just thinking to myself this game should be over by now.

Commentator is fine by the way I think, obviously not as good as Phil, but who is.

• I was particularly impressed with Jasper winning the free kick that turned the game back in our favour. They were on top until he ‘won’ the foul and it really was a pivotal moment in the half. We reset and managed to spend the rest of the half camped in the final third.

• Jasper has handled Fosu very well too. He’s one of the division’s best wingers.

• Quite a patchy half from both teams, but our forwards look far more dangerous and we really kicked into gear in those last 5 minutes. Massive stroke of luck, but we really should have scored before that with the chances we were creating.

Hope we can take that final 5mins into the 2nd half.

• Likely I've missed it at some point but is Wheeler injured?