Skip to content

Man of the Match - Wrexham (A)

2»

Comments

• No he didn't beat the left back time and time again. Mcleary was poor. He looked his age yesterday.

• GMac should still have his moments, like last season, but he is not an every-game player any more, and we seriously need an understudy on that side, even with Hanlan back at some point.

• Is that going to be the pattern for the season?

Each time Garath has one of his less effective games, we’re going to put it down to his age.

Nothing lacking in his physical efforts at all yesterday and nothing out of keeping with what we’ve seen from him in previous seasons.

Certainly not his greatest game but we got 84 mins of full on effort from him that belied his 37 years.

He’ll be fine.

• Don’t disagree that he needs an understudy. Hanlan probably would suffice but obviously we don’t know how far away that is and whether his injury has affected him.

Lubala can play out wide too, but still feel we’re one wide player short. Maybe one who can play No10 too in case we want to change the shape.

• Yes, McCleary's starts the last three seasons have gone from 37, to 33, to 27. Not sure how much any injuries impacted that, but it does seem reasonable to think we need someone else who can play close to half a season at a high level, and GMac's highest level is very high!

• Just watched Matt Bloomfield’s impressive post match interview. He’s really grown into the role over the last six months.

He mentioned that Garath McCleary had a stomach upset and was struggling in the second half. And Sadlier was cramping up.

• Obviously I only know a few of your players (keeper, Leahy and Udoh from their Slops days). I thought Bishop was shit but defence didn't help him out. Whats with the goalkick routine? I mean it was obvious we would close down as soon as he touched it, then booted it without much challenge up front. Leahy, I was told, was a solid centre half, so why was he wearing a no.10 shirt doing absolutely buggar all in the midfield area? He didn't grab the game by the scruff of its neck. Udoh looked a handful and think he'll be a good signing for you.

• Slight misconception about Luke Leahy being a solid centre half. He was a serviceable left back last season despite leaving Shrewsbury because, allegedly, he didn’t like being asked to play left back. He has become one of the “characters” at Wycombe with good mimicry skills and is popular with the fans. I agree about the 10 shirt. On Saturday’s evidence, he looked anything but.

I think the jury’s out on Bishop. But then how could it be anything else after one preseason friendly and the game on Saturday when he conceded the crucial first goal whilst one of our back four (the skipper) was serving a 30 second wait off the pitch following treatment for a nasty blow to the head.

None of our four new recruits in the starting lineup exactly covered themselves with glory but Dan Udoh and 18 year old Jayden Bartelo who came on late in the second half both look to be good signings.

• Bishop did nothing wrong on Saturday and can’t be blamed for any of the goals but some Wrexham fans still blame him for the entirety accidental collision with Mullin that left him injured over a year ago. I suggest that you enjoy your win rather than criticising opposition players.

• Agreed, thought he looked fine. No chance on any of the goals. Made 2 good saves - helped that the shots were pretty much at him but still had to save them. Perhaps he looked intimidating in the all grey! Unfortunate that the second of the good saves was then passed back to Wrexham by Hartridge.

Their keeper was an odd one...biggest person I've ever seen but looked pretty unconvincing with commanding his area. Vokes' goal was a fairly loopy corner which he headed in without really jumping from 4 yards. A massive keeper surely has to take a couple of steps forward and catch it.

• edited August 12

I thought Bishop looked really good in the first half (all I saw of the match) - he wasn't particularly tested (other than the goals, which weren't his fault) but his reflexes looked sharp, his positioning strong and his confidence in coming out of the box was refreshing. I was most impressed by his distribution which had Stockdale-levels of accuracy. I think a large part of why we're playing Bakinson so far forward is because Bishop has been told to whack the ball to him as the biggest player in the midfield. Backinson should then do a lay off to Scowen or Leahy to do something more creative. We all saw that worked better in theory than maybe it did on the pitch on Sat... but if that's that tactic that Matt wants to play I don't think we'll see Backinson dropped any time soon.

• Bishop was absolutely fine Saturday, I've no problem with him at all

• Bakinson was playing in front of our defence, he wasn’t far forward at all.