Skip to content

Man of the Match - Wrexham (A)

Tempted to leave a lot of players off of the list, but that would be catty.

MOTM - Wrexham (A)
  1. Who is your MOTM?73 votes
    1. Bishop
        4.11%
    2. Grimmer
        1.37%
    3. Low
        2.74%
    4. Hartridge
        0.00%
    5. Harvie
        0.00%
    6. Scowen
      10.96%
    7. Leahy
        0.00%
    8. Bakinson
        1.37%
    9. Sadlier
        6.85%
    10. Kone
      61.64%
    11. McCleary
        0.00%
    12. Bartolo (sub)
        1.37%
    13. Udoh (sub)
        9.59%

Comments

• Oops - missed Vokes off. Not much time, but as he did score, feel free to just state your vote for him. It's a low bar.

• Wrexham very good today and we were disjointed in the extreme. I give it to Vokes just to irritate @drcongo and @micra

• I didn’t think Kone had too bad a first half and had a great second half. Sads a close second, and I liked what I saw of Udoh

Leahy however needs to spend the entire week in training practicing passing to the player in space nearest to him. I’m effing sick of every pass being a Hollywood pass that goes to nobody and the shots from 30 yards out when there’s strikers free in front of him.

• I gave it to Vokesy.

• edited August 10

The number of overhit crosses and passes was, to quote mrs micra, disgraceful.

Were better than that. I’ll not correct that typo as it works in both meanings.

Cross not to be able to vote for big Sam.

• Don’t knock him. He briefly lifted me out of the doldrums.

• Went for Kone, wasn't many you could give it to.

• A vote for Bakinson ? He wasn’t even man of the first half. Most certainly not.

Wish Max was still with us.

Not convinced by NB. Not sure how he’s earned two votes.

• edited August 10

It is crazy how underrated Sadlier is. Basically did not put a foot wrong except not get enough on that early chance. Beat his player every time, and was often our only danger man until the changes.

He even got back in our corner and gave a quick demo to Hartridge and Harvie on how to defend the left side, something it appears we have not done in training!

• Vokes on 3 so far.

• The MOTM wag is back with that Bakinson MOTM vote. Oh wait, that would be @Wrexy.

• Udoh as he actually gave us a platform to recover, Kone was also a handful. Some terrible performances would like to see the pass completion stats of messers Grimmer (did that head knock contribute?) and Bakinson.

Bit worrying that Sadlier again withdrawn around the hour mark, I know wingers often get changed but he needs to work on his fitness. Poor effort early on too.

Glaring error from Hartridge for the third goal.

• Ollie Yates

• Kone. I wasn't expecting to vote that way at half time

• Same, went for Udoh, he had several good touches and when he came on we stopped turning over every ball that went forward, I'd love Kone to score 20 goals and maybe he will but that wasn't a man of the match performance there, not his fault, should have had more help from the off.

• Thought Bishop improved as the game progressed

Grimmer was fairly anonymous, Hartridge & Harvie had poor debuts leaving Low to do 3/4 men's jobs at times

Scowen was effective when he dropped deep less so when he pushed forward

As @drcongo said Leahy needs to look for the simple pass rather than the Hollywood ball

Barkinson looked dreadfully off the pace & a little lost

McLeary, Kone & Sadlier were decent if in need of getting their crossing/goal sights zeroed in

Udo looked good & very fast, Bartolo had a slightly anonymous debut but he is young, Vokes was vintage Vokes

Hard to look past Scowen as he did little wrong today unlike others.

• Although Grimmer was woeful in possession, I do feel a bit inclined to let him off today firstly as he took a bad head knock but more so for the tackle on Mcclean right at the beginning

• Kone, then Scowen, then Sadlier, then...I'm struggling

• Vokes on 4.

• Kone on 27.

• edited August 11

For a moment I thought this might be the "Our top scorer in the league this season" thread.

• I thought Matt made an error in subbing Sadlier on the 60 minute mark yesterday - as he so often does.

We’d just got back into the game with Kone’s excellent goal a couple of minutes before and were on the front foot.

Sadlier had offered a decent attacking outlet throughout and with the game in the balance we swapped him for an 18 year old making his senior debut playing out of position. Go figure.

Unsurprisingly we lost our shape and never really recovered it.

Nothing against Bartolo, who sounds like he’s going to be a decent prospect but it was a strange decision.

Why not just leave Sadlier on for another 10-15 mins given things were going well.

• I have a sneaky feeling Sadlier picked up a knock. He wasn’t moving freely at full time. Looked like he had a bit of a limp going on. I went with Kone. Grimmer, Bakinson and Hartridge had an absolute disaster.

• Yes it could have been a knock, would certainly be a better explanation. It’s just we’ve seen him do it so often around the hour mark that you tend to feel it’s pre-planned.

• It was a shame, I felt that Sadlier was the most constant threat during the first 60 minutes. I wasn’t at the match but on TV I didn’t really feel as though Bartolo or McCleary got into the game tbh

• McCleary beat the left back time and time again. He looked on sparkling form but, sadly, as so frequently in that game, without end product.

• For anyone yet to vote:

VOTE VOKES. His goalscoring rate per minutes on the pitch this season is the best in the EFL.

• I was demanding that Kone be hooked about a minute before he scored. Ah.

Anyway, yes, he was poor first half for sure (though he was a) far from alone in this and b) bereft of service) but still did enough to warrant MotM.

Figures that the comedy vote for Bakinson came from a Wxm fan.