Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wrexham

Comments

• One word - sloppy , 3-2 we shouldn’t be losing this game

• Vintage Vokes.

• Butcher looked absolutely must start material last season and helped revitalise us. So not at all sure why he's suddenly starting on the bench.

Hartridge over Taf in hindsight looks absolute mania too.

At least midweek being a cup competition means we can make a lot of changes without people looking to have been "dropped" as such.

• Vokes!

Yes!

Last 5 or 6mins could be good.

• Yeah but Vokes had a poor first half

• Can't believe we stuck with the other lad so long.

Vokes, 5mins 1 chance 1 goal.

• Not good enough. A real let-down.

• edited August 10

Someone needs to have a word with blooms. Some bonkers selection decisions.

• Didn't make them work hard enough for their goals.

In fact they hardly had to work at all for them.

• Very very frustrating. Wrexham weren’t anything special, but they didn’t have to be.

• So essentially drop all new signings and put Leahy back to LB? That seems to be the future.

• Wrexham got away with that one , scored two hit the post twice and generally we didn’t turn up and still just lost .

• I miss Nigel Lonwijk

• There's no logic on picking Hartridge over Taff for ball playing, Taff is awesome on the ball. Awful decision.

• Poor performance from us.

Wrexham take the win after a very poor game from both teams. Plenty of improvement needed for either team to push for the Play Off positions

• Didn’t want that stuck at the bottom of page 8 !!

• My fear with Leahy is his main strengths seem to be knocking it long, set pieces and being hard to get by in wide positions.

In midfield it doesn't quite feel right, even though that's his main position.

• Signing Hartridge is like going from London Olive to Olive from On The Buses.

• That work on the 3rd goal was seriously worrying. Easily turned, didn't get the block in, ended on his ass, then threw a flimsy leg at the ball that could not have been a better pass spark to their man.

• On the bright side, Peterborough are bottom of the league.

• We were the better side in the second half by a distance weren't we?

No need to wet the bed after one game.

Kone certainly had a game of two halves, he was superb in that second half. And I loved the positive substitutions from Matt.

We hit the bar twice as well, remember. On another day we'd at least have drawn that.

• The midfield, on the whole, was a mess wasn’t it? Not helped by Bakinson’s struggles and Scowen out of position. Probably not fair to judge Luke on that 90 minutes.

• Yep, all very early days, but I think i'd try and get Taf and Butcher back in the line-up asap

• By far the better side second half. End product wasn’t great, crossing all day from open play and set pieces was dire. Another day we win that. Can’t see Wrexham going up with that defence.

• This may be a bit different to other views but I was actually quite encouraged by that overall. I was encouraged by the way we attacked, how there appears to be far more pace than before, how much fitter we looked than before and how we fought to the end.

Obviously Alex Hartridge had a truly dreadful debut and several others defensively were well off it. Our passing was pretty hopeless by and large. But I think the weaknesses of today can be put down as one offs. I saw enough to give me optimism from today.

• Overall disappointing today.

First half we were not at the races.

Second half subs did make a difference, but the flurry of subs then broke up the rythym when we were on top.

Piss poor decision making by defenders cost us all 3 goals today.

Frankly thre were spells where we had Wrexham on the ropes but just couldn't find the killer touch.

On those showings neither side is better than mid-table.

• If you're playing three in midfield, one of them needs to be a playmaker who can pick a pass and move us up the pitch

It's the one player we're obviously missing and I'm hoping these loan signings being talked about will address it

• Deflating result, felt we were the better side from 40th minute onwards but deservedly lost it due to clumsy defending.

I’m not sure what it is with Ryan Tafazolli - Ainsworth and Blooms both seem to have had periods where they’ve gone off him despite him probably being our best defender over the last few seasons. Inevitably we usually hit a terrible run of form which means Ryan comes back in and reminds everyone why he’s an every week starter in this league and would walk into most other sides.

Felt like lessons weren’t necessarily learnt from last season with too many changes made to the lineup that didn’t need to be made, meaning we lost the advantage of having a settled side at the start of the season that we so often had with Ainsworth.

A few positives in there, mainly that we did actually regularly threaten going forwards and Kone looks more refined and certainly physically stronger after a full pre-season as a pro. Vokes also looks noticeably fitter and good to have two of our strikers off the mark straight away. Thought Harvie also had a solid outing, and Bishop made some good saves (not much he could do about any of the 3 goals).

I think we’ll probably end up being better than we were last season, but not good enough to be challenging that top 7 (I’m aware it’s ridiculously early to be making that kind of call but it’s more of a prediction at this stage).

• How did Bartolo do on his debut in English football? I honestly expected his debut to come much later in the season but Bloomfield clearly rates him.