Skip to content

A Scottish extravaganza

Comments

• Before the Stenhousemuir v Arbroath match the League Two champions flag is raised - the first time Stenhousemuir have won a league title in their history.

• Half-time: Stenhousemuir 0 Arbroath 0. Pretty uninspiring stuff in League One. Both sides playing 4-2-3-1 and banging long balls down the wings which tends to cancel each other out & creates very few goalmouth chances.

I would describe the standard of Falkirk v Queens Park as akin to mid-table EFL League One. This game is more English National League standard. Hopefully the second-half will see a complete turnaround!

• Altogether an improvement in the second-half. Stenhousemuir took the lead early in the send half then doubled it with a powerful header from a corner. Arbroath pulled a goal back 2 minutes from the end but the home side got a deserved victory. An official attendance of 738 (seemed like more than that) watched the game with around 300 disappointed Arbroath fans present. A lovely sunny afternoon for football but a game that will not live long in the memory.

• Stenny mascot Wally the Warrior.

• Sure that’s not one of the locals?

• Imagine there will be a really good atmosphere at the Dundee Derby. Hope you've seen how close the two stadiums are located to each other! Quality of football north of the border may not be close to England, but personally find the fans and atmosphere in the grounds much better

• Sitting on the grass between Tannadice and Dens Park watching the atmosphere build is one of the finest things in life

• Third championship flag raising ceremony in three days. Flaming bins!

• Frantic game so far to say the least

• edited August 4

Incredible atmosphere, already 2-1. Never experienced anything like this!

The grounds are yards apart, this is standing on corner of United's ground.

• It's mental that they are that close !

• Good seats.

• Dundee United mascot Terry the Terror.

• Scottish Football is fairly rubbished for its level of quality but far rather watch a match like this than the sanitised English product

• What dictates who you support in Dundee? Can't be geographical given their proximity. Is it sectarian at all like Celtic/Rangers and Hibs/Hearts?

• Excellent game. I must admit I have never watched one of these Scottish games on Sky until you two lads posted about your extravaganza but it is very exciting and a good atmosphere.

Seems much better than the usual Premier League rubbish where the ball is passed around at the back for 90+ minutes.

• It's like Notts County and Nottingham Forest. No religious rivalry with the divide generally created by family loyalties.

• edited August 4

2-2 was probably fair overall but Dundee had two very good chances in the final minutes to snatch an away win. After the game, opposing fans mingled happily in the streets, no need for police cordons. A very enjoyable experience as a neutral. It's a very compact stadium, fans on top of the pitch, cracking atmosphere.

• From the Dundee Derby Wiki page.

”Dundee is the older of the two, having been founded in 1893, compared to Dundee United which was founded in 1909 as Dundee Hibernian following the demise of Dundee Harp, a club founded by Irish immigrants in 1879. While United's origins stem from Irish immigration, the rivalry is not sectarian in the manner of the Old Firm.”

"The two grounds are the closest League grounds in Britain and with it a unique rivalry has developed, though one often deemed more amicable than most, similar to the Merseyside derby, Derby della Madonnina in Milan, and the Derby della Lanterna of Genoa with many families split down the middle in support.

The two clubs even had a combined hooligan 'firm', known as the Dundee Utility, which was formed to stand up to the larger firms of the Glasgow and Edinburgh clubs."

• So good to see the HS125 still in service, in Scotland on the Seven Cities service. Ex-GWR stock, they have much more leg room and cabin space than modern trains.

• My favourite fact about the Dundee derby is that the away team change in their home ground and walk to the other ground. A video of Dundee doing the walk today.

https://x.com/DundeeFC/status/1820060508076003361?t=s2uGDX65jVJAYcUdyXaVdw&s=19

• Just to add to Steve's excellent posts, here are a couple of photos of Dundee city centre.

• Before the match the Dundee United East Side Ultras did a march to the ground. Hard to see them in the distance due to the amount of orange flares being let off but it brought quite a European feel to the pre-match.

Before the start they unfurled a huge banner behind one end.

And there was choreographed flag-waving as the teams came out.

• For an alternative view of the match search for Blair McNally on YouTube.

• This has been absolutely brilliant, and though I know there is still a game to go, I want to salute @A_Worboys and @Steve_Peart for chronicling such an interesting tour!

• Unfortunately St Johnstone / Mcdiarmid Park is likely to be a more drab affair to put it mildly. Go in the Aberdeen end if you can.

• Having heard the lovely name Stenhousemuir ring out from the wireless for about 80 years from Raymond Glendenning onwards, I’m disappointed not to see at least a tier or two behind the goal. But then I’ve no idea what sort of gates they get. All very neat and tidy, though.

• Hear hear. Sorry now that I didn’t watch any of the games on TV.

• @micra, Stenny averaged 630 last season, when winning League Two.

• When is our next weekend without a Wycombe game, and where can we send these guys then?