Skip to content

Anyone still following Neil Harman on twitter?

13»

Comments

• I’m in agreement with you. My point was about how people are not only getting their biases confirmed but are also being gradually introduced to more extreme views of ..whatever .

Therefore I think I’ll just stick with music, cars and sport . Of course god help you on some forums if you suggest that some songwriters were as great as the Beatles.

As great I said, they were great honestly

• There's a number of books and films on it, not particularly complex for charismatic people or people with lots of money who know what they are doing with the tech.

Target a large number people who have either been sympathetic to a particular cause of just with things in common to anyone already in, Start with some obvious non-contoversial stuff, i.e. "it would be terrible if any child was ever harmed" , gradually overtime show a bit of sympathy for people who have extreme views or committed a crime but are otherwise seemingly perfectly decent , see if you can weaponise a bit of injustice or harsh treatment, add in some calls to arms, gently ramp up the rhetoric.

I caught some of the end of the Kyle Rittenhouse documentary last night and it is pretty clear how far down the road people are on this kind of thing. Where chancers now have their own TV stations it's very easy to paint one thing as another and form tribes and conflicts for whatever your goals are.

• Sadly, the riots in Southport last night are a perfect example of this, and an example of how the bile that is becoming increasingly commonplace on social media is dangerous in the real world. Anyone who actively shares and promotes those views needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

• Exactly, also shows the danger of allowing the nudge nudge wink wink type racism and "anti MSM" violent rhetoric that's on the edge of mainstream now.

Cretins the lot of them

• Private James Frazer was spot on.

• As if you didn’t need anymore evidence about the dangers of social media with the weak minded last night in Southport should make some hang their heads in shame. Of course it won’t. But as a society what do we need to wake up?

• Heat death of the universe. Bring it on.

• edited July 31

Clearly a kindred spirit! Though sadly I am a huge Beatles snob (I'll try and rein it in if the conversation ever goes that way).

Still suffering through the Sharks? Celebrini will hopefully accelerate that rebuild, at least.

• Get Back. An anti immigrant song?

Nowhere is safe from the culture wars!!!

• I cannot rein in my Beatles snobbery sadly, Mr Kim.

As far as I understand it, Get Back was originally meant to be a satirical stab at the Enoch Powell anti-immigrant movement rather than the travels of an gender identity confused cross dresser, but like those who congratulated Alf Garnett actor Warren Mitchell for being a racist, it was decided the lyrics might have the opposite effect and lead to 'patriots' rushing to Southport to beat up coppers...or something.

As it was heroin and cocaine addled John Lennon assumed it was directed at Yoko anyway...

• He's shared a video twice today, that allegedly shows hundreds of people on Southend beach yesterday, moments before a giant machete brawl broke out across the town. The very unsubtle inference is that all the people in the video are unemployed and black, which means "Britain is in big trouble".

Unfortunately for old Neil, the video was filmed a month ago on TikTok, and is not related to any disorder yesterday. Not only does he have horrible views, he also has no ability to judge whether a source is credible or not. It probably goes a long way to explaining why he's a plagiarising hack.

• I love that post @OxfordBlue. It encapsulates everything about the subject of this thread.

I feel that everything about him and his ilk has been comprehensively covered. Done to death, almost.

• If only.

• Yep, things have been in the doldrums for the sharks lately and there’s talk of moving the franchise 😮.

On the subject of songwriters that I rate alongside the aforementioned John and Paul Brian would be a shoe in , and although Andy is no where near as well known he’d still make my top five.

• I hope you don't have to leave! The Sharks are an iconic franchise (even without the Cup yet). One annoying thing about hockey is how long rebuilds can take.

As for me, when in Vegas I was planning to be a Knights fan, but we moved up to Denver right before the start of the inaugural VGK season. Though I held out for about a year, being able to see the Avs live here meant I ended up an Avs fan instead after about a year - it doesn't hurt that we moved up for the prime MacKinnon-Rantanen-Landeskog era. I also don't really like the way VGK do business. I was at the parade after Colorado won the cup in 2022. My in-laws being huge Vegas fans got to enjoy winning it the next year, obviously.

As for songwriters, Brian Wilson is definitely brilliant. I don't have anyone on the top step with John and Paul, but a lot would occupy the step beneath for me - Paul Simon and Bob Dylan on the lyrical side and Brian Wilson as a melodist would all be there. I actually think the BeeGees are underrated at times too, as everyone thinks primarily of their disco era (which was great) but they had quite a wide range of songs before that.

• I rather like pre-disco BeeGees. I remember the Melody film and soundtrack when I was a lot younger.

And in the debate of great songwriters, on the third step I would add Bob Marley (a lot is over-familiar but understanding where Cornerstone came from made me look at his output with new respect).

I would also place Neil Finn (mostly Crowded House) alongside him.

(There are probably dozens more at that level but it’s too hot to think)

• Irving Berlin

• Idea by the Bee Gees is one of my favourite 60s albums. Worth a listen. No disco beat or funky guitar though.