Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• You can actually hear the BBC commentator drooling every time she mentions him. Hope he gets a really graphic injury.

• Radio 5 Live commentary is even worse, especially Dion Dublin

• Good grief the level of Portugal love in from the Radio 5 commentators is nauseating.

Really feel for Czechia, they deserved the draw, particularly as for a large part of the game Portugal played at a walking pace.

• It’s Kvaradona. (See article for which @Kim_il_Swan provided a link.). Presumably not included in the final Georgia squad.

I thought we were going to see something special.

• I notice that quite a few Georgian surnames end in idze and adze.

• edited June 19

Looking at Albania celebrating a draw so raucously with their fans, I have a bad feeling that whoever comes out on top in this tournament is going to celebrate like they just won the Euros.

• Lucky that Germany and Hungary brought their change kits. White and red are very difficult to distinguish

• The highlight so far was Jota smashing into the keeper after going 2-1 up, sticking the ball up his vest like an absolute chump, and doing a thumb suck.

Then getting it ruled offside.

Take that you numpty!

• Scotland seem very good at falling over whenever pressed, almost like watching Portugal. Almost.

• there seems to me an excessive amount of pundits on the BBC gravy train this tournament, turns out between presenters, pundits and commentators there are 27 in total. Must have cost a fortune in flights, accomodation and nosh alone. ITV team is 19 strong which also seems a bit much.

• Once or twice I've heard a comment that seemed to hint some of the lesser games were being watched on a screen.

But who knows.

• Sounds about right to me.

Say ITV have the 5pm and 8pm games one day, different parts of the country, then have the 2pm game the other end of the country. It's probably much easier to have 3 or 4 teams for a game, then flog 2 teams travelling for all games.

Unless you think a panel should just be 2 people not 4 etc.

• Personally I've always thought a panel to be a bit wooden.

• You would think that I’d be the perfect candidate to go to the Euros this year, I’m English and married to a German, I speak passable phrase book German and I love the game of football, except we’re still doing stuff like this.

“The behaviour of some England fans at Euro 2024 is under scrutiny after a number were filmed singing a controversial chant referencing German casualties in World War Two over the weekend.”

So it didn’t even cross my mind to go not for a millisecond.

• I have always found it difficult to reconcile the behaviour of a certain proportion of England fans with my own wish for successful England sides - and not just in football. The current team and coach have probably got me as close to feelings of warmth for the team as any other in the last few decades, but there is always a certain proportion of fans who act like this with national teams. I don't think England are unique in this though.

• These are big cities and it's very easy to not be where groups of idiots are. I've only been to one tournament and it was an amazing experience meeting loads of supporters from all over Europe and having a great time I'll remember forever.

I was pretty surprised when my Dad picked me up from the airport and the first thing he asked was had I managed to avoid "all the trouble". I literally had no idea there had been any.

• England v Denmark memories.

I was lucky enough to go to the World Cup in Japan and was at the England v Denmark 2nd round game. England cruised to victory and conga lines were spontaneously created across the stadium. It was quite a funny sight as the Japanese stewards weren't sure what was going on. Lines of supporters doing the conga followed by a steward running along behind! The stands looked like they were seething with snakes.

• That pitch.

• England winning the group early would be ideal - rest the starters and give the backups a runout against Slovenia.

• edited June 20

Tell me if you've heard this one before: England sit on a lead instead of try to build on it.

Only this time, Denmark aren't messing around. 1-1.

And what a goal from the Danes!

• I could murder mrs micra. You do NOT laugh when the opposition score.

• It's probably a blessing in disguise. England can score late in the game and then have less time left to sit on it negatively.

• All that attacking talent in the team / squad and we serve up a timid defensive performance like that. It’s just horrible sometimes.

• It just seems to be in our DNA to be less than the sum of our parts, and the exact reason I am staggered when England were made favourites.

On a positive note, I do think Graham Potter would be much more positive than Southgate, and get us playing some nice stuff. I hope that becomes the plan once the tournament is over.

• BBC pundits all finally saying exactly what I’ve been saying about Kane for about 3 years.

• Trent off, Gordon on, Foden inside.