Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• Yes but probably one up front and one at the back so they could keep their distance away from each other.

• edited June 8

Nope. I'll be in England during the Euros.

I survived the flooding in Dubai but am worried I'm going to drown in the deluge of England tears.

• I’m a liability in the knockout stages. Happy to go in two footed if someone annoys me.

• edited June 8

Talking of being annoyed…

Am I the only one that’s annoyed by the Channel 4 football graphics department that shows “substitute in/out” rather than “on/off”. They’re not showing any games this summer, are they?

Might have to switch the TV out if they are.

• Oh, no, not me in gaol again. I’m a trusty.

• @eric_plant better play up front. I’d want @drcongo in my back four. He’d have my back.

• Now we know @glasshalffull has been using our new training ground, he is straight in the team at centre forward.

@glasshalfempty will anchor the midfield as he always makes a cautious contribution.

I will obviously manage the team using my enormous experience of watching Wycombe for 34 years as a yardstick for success. You don’t need any fancy coaching badges. 😂

• All my Scottish friends in England are looking forward to supporting Scotland. But everybody is different I suppose.

• Thought I might be on my own there. Yes very irritating. Is it yet another American import?

See what you did there!

• Ed_Ed_
    edited June 9

The thing that is guaranteed to get me shouting at the screen is the producer cutting away from the action. I tune in to watch the football and if one of the commentators is discussion a recent phase of play or the reaction of a player to some incident or if they are pointing out some celeb in the stands, I can process their description without having to see whoever it is on screen for 10 seconds. All the while, the ball is in play and I am missing the action.

• If only screens were more receptive. Maybe something for the future.

• Ideally we'll soon move to being able to chose if we want different types of stats, commentary and other angles , I'm sure plenty would love to just watch the game without all the faff.

• The best way for improved national commentary would be for all fans everywhere to listen to Phil & co. for one match and realize what is possible.

• edited June 10

Less than a week to go.

Anyone remember how shit the group stages were in the last competition?

I’d prepare ourselves for the same again. Doing just enough to get through the stages to start to kick on in the knock out stages seems to be a Southgate tactic.

In that vain, I’m also expecting Bellingham not to start the first game. He’s had a lot less rest than the majority of the squad having player in the Champions League final. I expect rotation in the group games like in preseason friendlies.

My two hot takes before the competition starts.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited June 10

Bellingham has played about 10 games fewer this season than Rice and Foden, the downtime he has had since the Champions League final should have been plenty sufficient.

• edited June 10

Quite possibly. But Rice has had nearly a month between his last competitive game and our first Euro game, and Foden a week less than that because of the FA Cup. They both got minutes vs Iceland where as Bellingham wasn't even on the bench. My expectation is to be eased into the Tournament.

• I might be wrong but especially after the Iceland game, I would have thought we would be keen to win the first game and therefore play the strongest team and then rotating a bit. I haven't checked the rules but I presume its one of those silly best third placed teams qualify too scenarios - so one win may well be enough to get through.

• Hence my first prediction of "remember how crap the group stages were".

With or without Bellingham we should have enough to get out the group stages as winners.

• As long as we are playing an actual right wing on the right wing rather than further experiments with central midfielders playing out wide, we should qualify.

• Winning the first game is quite important. You certainly don't want to lose it. That would put massive pressure on us in a difficult second game Vs Denmark.

So I'm expecting the strongest line up possible.

Although Bellingham was pretty absent in the CL SF & Final so I don't think it's nailed on that he starts.

• Since posting the above, I've seen Bellingham only joined up with the squad yesterday and also talk from insiders that TAA is favoured to start along side Rice on Sunday. Could mean Judes pushed to the 10 role he did for Real, or rested. Or the rumour is Bollocks.

• edited June 13

I'd be dead within ten minutes if I attempted to anchor any midfield. I aspire to be the Gasroom's Paul Hyde, although any similarities in our goalkeeping abilities would be greatly exaggerated on my part.

• MBSMBS
    edited June 14

ITV on from 6.30pm for an 8pm kick off for the Scotland game. 90 minutes of boring punditry and adverts. No thanks…will turn it to ITV for the kick off. Good luck Scotland!! ( I guess it involves the opening ceremony as well…..)

• Was hoping to watch the Ireland v USA T20 game - sadly rained off (USA qualify for the Super 8s), then thought I know lets watch the tennis from Nottingham until kick off in the Scotland game - nope rained off too; welcome to the British summer.

• Bit harsh blaming the British weather for the rain in Florida.

• ITV commentary is truly dreadful.

Matterface has blathered on telling us nothing about what is happening on the pitch, thankfully Ally McCoist is alongside him.

• Scotland's tournament isn't going so well ...

• That dog in a burning house wearing a tartan bunnet,,,,,,,,This is Fine.......

• Indeed it isn't, but McCoist has nailed the problem areas for Scotland, let's hope someone on the Scotland bench is listening.