Skip to content

Terry Reardon RIP

edited June 2 in Football

Just learned up from one of the Slough town Facebook pages that ex player Terry Reardon has passed away

As well as being a great servant of Slough , Terry played for us between 1973 and 1976 clocking up 132 appearances and scoring six goals

A talented and industrious midfield player ,he was part of the famous side that took on Middlesbrough in the FA Cup in 1975.

He was also the brother of John Reardon who served our club in so many different ways.

Condolences to the family.

Comments

• Sad news. Remember him very well as a player in that great mid 70s team(s).

Didn’t he play Souness out of the game at Loakes Park?

RIP

• Although I was there for the original fixture at Loakes Park (but not, sadly, for the replay), I can’t remember very much detail but I can well believe that Terry played the 21 year old Graham Souness out of the game. He was such a solid, physically strong midfielder.

Condolences to his family and friends.

• I don’t know whether it’s true or one of those urban myths but apparently he went to work for a few hours (as a plumber?) On the morning of the Home game against Middlesbrough. Remembering of course that the entire team had day jobs at that time.

• I think Souness later said, or was in his autobiography, that Terry Reardon was the hardest player he played against in his career.

• Brings home the passage of time that we are saying a sad farewell to so many of those players from the '70s.

RIP Terry and condolences to the family.

Forever a Wanderer.

• Absolutely. That season when we had the great FA Cup run, which culminated in the legendary ties against Middlesbrough, coincided with my family moving to Wycombe from North Bucks. Not a bad season for an 11 year old to begin his association with the Chairboys. Unbelievable that will soon be 50 years ago. Very scary.

• Terry was the guy who put in the cross from the free kick which Phillips headed a millimetre wide...

• Yes I do remember that. Well, the header at least. At the hospital end, I think, left hand post.

• I never saw Terry play but I’m loving that detail given that Souness went on to play in Serie A for Sampdoria. Must have been some performance.

• A vital cog in that 70s winning machine. A great tackler, but could also distribute the ball out to either wing with pinpoint passes. So many of that team could have played at a much higher level. RIP Terry.