Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Senior Cup 2023-24

123457»

Comments

• My one and only interesting postcode fact is that London postcodes are numbered with the 1 being the closest to the centre of London, and all the other numbers are the boroughs alphabetically. ie: N1 is Islington, then N2 East Finchley, N3 Finchley, N4 Finsbury Park and so on.

The end.

• edited May 15

• Interesting (?) post code fact is that some organisations have postcodes which are named in ways appropriate to them.

Can you guess what is at the following three Sheffield postcodes?

S2 4SU

S6 1SW

S14 7UP

• Bramall Lane, Hillsborough, and the Crucible?

• Got it in one

• That's an excellent fact @Chris. I had no idea.

• DE11 has the highest crime rate in the country!

• Yes but Manchesters about a 10th of the size of London so if the capital took in places proportionately as far away it'd take in half the south Midlands.

But anyway these new 1974 administrative units were surely supposed to just include places in the same conurbation. Wigan is in no way part of the Manchester conurbation and its inclusion just seemed to weaken and randomly take a decent sized town out of the shire county of Lancashire. In my years up here I have become a big supporter of Lancashire and things Lancastrian! Aside from the ex missus that is;-)

• London had primitive postcodes as early as the mid 19th century I believe and I think the present system covered the whole country by 1969. Or was it 1972. Anyway even the present system was rolled out across the country iver quite a few years.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited May 15

If the close season fails to deliver, perhaps we can busy ourselves in a campaign to rescue Wycombe from the clutches of Hemel Hempstead. Perhaps a new postcode of our own designated ML?

• I heard a programme on the world service about postmen in Mali a while ago. They don’t use post codes, so the postmen just have to learn where everything is. Extraordinary!

• Marlow 1-2 Reading, by the way. Gah.

• FU1 RFC

• 626 or 629 at Sandhurst last night, according to different sources. Goals from Jeremiah Okine-Peters (9) and an Adrian Akande penalty (19) put Reading in early control. Brandon Curtis, a half-time sub, pulled one back for Marlow on 52', but even the introduction of Dave Tarpey on 81' couldn't save the game.

• edited May 16

For years Boots retained an NG1 post code (central Nottingham) as their main address, by dint of having an old, empty factory next to the railway station as their ‘head office’ address. The actual head office and factory is in Beeston, about 3 miles from the city centre. It was said that the Boots campus is the same size as Monaco.

• Decent enough final - Marlow were a bit too respectful in the first half and let the Reading kids pass it around nicely. But the goals were from a goalkeeper error and a penalty, other than that not too many chances. Second half was completely different - Marlow really impossed themselves and made the game a bit more physical, forcing Reading to abandon the nice passing and just went long. Marlow's goal was a good free kick but other than a few corners and long throws it never really felt like they'd get an equaliser. Not the perfect way to end the season for Marlow but they must be delighted with promotion and a cup final.

• To add - Ryan (RB first half, LB second) and Borgnis (CM) were stand out players for Reading. Maybe one for the new academy if they stop getting paid by Reading!

• Wigan is as much part of the ‘Manchester conurbation’ as Bolton or Bury or Oldham. As someone who lives in Wigan I’m glad we are in Greater Manchester rather than Lancashire.

• Not strictly true as someone who has worked all over greater Manchester for many years I agree with you on Bury etc but places like Oldham and Stockport just completely merge into Manchester very hard to tell when you leave one and enter the other.

Unlike you i've never lived/worked in Wigan but I worked in the community all over Trafford only last year and i beg to differ that Wigan is all part of one conurbation as once you leave Irlam, Eccles, Partington etc you go out into open country with Wigan to the west of that.

Anyway why would you rather be in Manchester than Lancashire? - isn't actual Manchester just a mini version of London well maybe not quite as bad ie if you haven't got loads of money and so can live in the affluent bits it's not all its cracked up to be.