Skip to content

Mikheil Lomtadze confirmed as one of three new directors

Comments

• We’ve only got a couple of senior spots available haven’t we?

• Adams park will always be a poor location regardless of any access roads , if he wants to progress the club increase the crowds etc then a new ground has to be found.

• I need to re-familiarise myself with the rules on that, but possibly

• With this new lot in charge I imagine our playing style will evolve further? Less rock & roll, more bop music.

• It's about market value.

Those 2 sponsorships aren't 200m a year when other big clubs are 50m a year.

Although Man City are obviously facing at least one charge for using their own company to pay a sponsorship claimed to be from external sources.

• What I have learned about the new boss by reading a long substack article about Kaspi.

1) Getting involved in Kaspi Bank had a similar story to our situation. Mikhail met an older guy (Vlacheslav Kim) and developed an immediate friendship based on shared values. Tech Bromance.

2) The first thing Mikhail did when becoming the boss of Kaspi was to fire all the executives. They were old fashioned.

3) The masterplan was to turn the bank into an app focused on speed. Being able to apply for a loan and get the cash in 5 minutes proved very popular with customers.

4) Mikhail is obsessed with customer feedback to the extent that he closed down Kaspi's credit cards because customers said they didn't like them, despite the cards making a lot of profit for the company.

5) Mikhail has stated that it's time for Kaspi to become a global company but so far that's meant trying to repeat its success in Azerbaijan while waiting for Ukraine to calm down. Buying a League One football club is not officially part of the business plan.

Bloomfield was very lucky Mr Customer Feedback wasn't in charge at the end of last year.

• The main barrier to moving again has always been the same, it'll cost a load of money we can't find and can only hope of ever seeing back over many years or with extraordinary fortune. Does this change that? Maybe, That may be the Six Billion dollar question.

I'd much rather see them start small with immediate essential repairs and strengthening the team and the off the pitch operation. If we are 10 years down the line still in roughly the same position but have ploughed millions into a half built stadium we might be more Southend or Northampton than our obvious destiny as Buckinghamshires answer to Real Madrid

• Utterly pillage a major site of work in the area just to build a few carparks for use at a football club once a fortnight.

Brilliantly selfish.

You should become an MP.

• Exactly this. If you're going to spend millions to buy land why not make it a more joined up project and build a ground that has way better access and potential to increase capacity a lot higher.

Still...I think people are getting ever slightly cock a hoop here.

• One normal summer is all I ask for

19: 8 players show up for pre season

20: play offs

21: alternate fixtures

22: play off hangover

23: Ainsworth hangover

24: Georgian billionaires

• I'm not expecting you to throw Chelsea players to the floor and then drag them back to their feet, or split your head open and come back on 10 mins later. Just nod the ball on to Easter.

Sorted.

• After reading some of that I'm even more passionate, mainly about hopefully seeing them fluff it again at Wembley on the 18th.

• They write like they boast absolutely untold levels of support, rather than being a fairly middling lower league outfit.

Whose best days were not only 40 odd years ago but were very uncomfortably fuelled by an absolutely dreadful criminal.

• Jealousy brings out the best in people 🤫

Wouls love to know their thoughts had they got a billionaire on board.

• The poster saying we're being used as a feeder club was quite funny.

• It’s quite sweet that in the middle of a play off campaign they’re still obsessed with us. Their ‘non-rivals.’

• Unfortunately I have to live amongst them, yes they get bigger crowds and if our ground location was better i’m sure ours will increase. They are all a bit deluded, think they are a big club and i’m sure they will bottle it if they get to Wembley.

• Their whole thread is dripping with envy.

Hopefully they return to their usual ways and bottle the playoffs .

• In fairness, there might be something in this:

"It’s interesting that they tried to buy Readings training/academy ground and have taken Everton’s academy man. With London being up the road and in the top 3 producers of footballers at the World Cup (behind Paris and pretty much level with São Paulo) I wonder if the aim is to basically turn them into an academy with a professional team attached to it, produce footballers to sell on using the first team as shop window? Using one of the smaller, less passionately followed clubs but who have a geographical location in the most populated part of England (the south eat/London) does make sense for that."

• The whole attendance thing is overstated btw. Bournemouth averaged just under 7,000 the season they went up from League One, and they were still 1,000 or so off regular sell-outs when they went up from the Championship. They pack the place now because they're in the Premier League.

• edited May 5

Are Oxford fans forgetting that they were bankrolled to the top flight by a bloke whose Wiki entry has all this in the opening paragraph? "media proprietor, politician, fraudster, and the father of the convicted sex offender Ghislaine Maxwell"

• Dear Mikhail can we have one billion quid to buy our way into the Premier League?

Hmmm....that's more than 5 minutes, Mikhail.

• Maybe a Vue cinema, Frankie and Benny's restaurant, bowling alley? Come to Oxford...

• I do take the point that we don’t currently have assets to strip. The question then is what is and isn’t WWFC assets if/when a training ground is bought/built.

As Reading found now, Bearwood turned out to be completely seperate to the Club - could be the same for us. Or, he could put it as a club asset to inflate the club value for a later sale. Or indeed do that, and then sell it seperately.

Secondly, just because we might not get answers, we shouldn’t stop asking them. Same if we ask quesrions, and we don’t like the answers coming back.

Had Derby done so when MM was splashing the cash, i for one would’ve had more sympathy. I’ll do the same if we start spending unsustainably - not least so my conscious is clear that I tried to do something, even if I had no control.

• edited May 5

Not sure a Georgian business man thinks, I know what I fancy doing...finding some low level non passionately followed club near London so I can set up an academy there and sell players on.

Hopefully what he does fancy doing Is getting in on the vibes of turning a smaller team into a bigger one and getting all the adulation those Wrexham blokes get.

• There are worse ideas. You've got to wonder how on Earth we managed to lure Dan Rice.

• We didn’t. ML and his wallet most likely did.

Id like to think as long as the money isn’t as bad, having more responsibility and a project that is more in your control must seem like an attractive prospect.

• Welcome to Mr. Lomtadze and his fellow directors, what a fascinating time for the press release, 8 p.m. on a Saturday night after the Championship and during the Premiership yawn fest. Looking to keep schtum which is smart.

Kazakhstan is, I think, the 5th largest country in the world, riots for days in anti-russian protests in Georgia, daily shifting geo-politics.

We are living in interesting times, will be adopting Georgia as one of my teams in the Euros, and hope when things become politically stable to visit Kazakhstan.

WWFC has always had 2 attractions for investors - relatively cheap and close go London.

Given the ground isn't part of the deal and we haven't, as far as I am aware bought the training ground, it will be interesting to see whether Adams Park is part of the plan.

This could be extraordinarily exciting.

Slava!

• At least two of Britain's most notorious criminals have been on their board, they play in an incomplete ground named after and owned by another rotter who spent a fortune but now hates them so much he is quite happy to price them into administration rather than make deals and they have plans but no money to move somewhere else, they've been non-league far more recently than us , have choked on the few occasions upward movement was likely and have had some horrible players, I wish them all they deserve which is frankly not very much.