Skip to content

Retained list

124»

Comments

• If I remember rightly he came to Wycombe at the end of June and was training with the first team for around two weeks in to early July. He’d signed a rental agreement on a house too.

Man Utd then sent Dean Henderson on loan to Forest leaving them short on senior goalkeepers. We were told around July 5th that the deal was off as Henderson had gone on loan instead and they needed Bishop as cover. He never even made the bench when he went back.

• Who is to say that Max isn't going to play a "higher level" abroad?

He's obviously had offers because it's a bold statement for someone that is currently playing in League Two and couldn't get in our side.

Rav is much better with his feet than Max and actually suits our "style of play" better than Max. I think Rav is good enough for where we are but no doubt we will bring in a young Premier League or Championhip goalkeeper. Most Premier League teams have 4 or 5 gk's, there must be one good enough to play for us next season.

• Good point at the end there, @thecatwwfc - in theory, goalkeepers should be easier to come by than other positions as only one can play at a time, and there are always many capable lads riding a bench somewhere, or not even making the bench.

I have come round to Ravs, but still hoping we get someone even better in.

• I honestly don't blame Rav for the Cup Final goal either. It was an absolute freak and he will learn from the experience if we show faith in him.

As far as goalkeepers go, he's 26 and played about 15 professional games (and 30 odd games for Eastbourne). He is so inexperienced for a goalkeeper of his age but is at a good age to learn from his mistakes.

There is a very good goalkeeper in there but he just needs games. I hope we show the faith in him and bring a Premier League loanee in alongside so that they can genuinely compete, not to make him a number two.

• "He's obviously had offers because it's a bold statement for someone that is currently playing in League Two and couldn't get in our side."

He's entitled to his opinion like everyone else but it sounded like classic PR trying to put it down to him outgrowing us rather than being let go. Who knows, maybe he has had offers or approaches , maybe that contributed to him not playing, maybe it's bs.

He was a decent keeper for us regardless and will do well somewhere else. People talk about the level players can play at as if it's set in stone sometimes whereas there's far more nepotism involved in decisions and playing at a higher level suits some people better and offers them more protection with better team mates and different styles of play.

• i think Max leaves us a ‘worse’ keeper than when he first came. At the start I remember him being reasonably dominant on crosses in the box to go along with being a very good shot-stopper (but yes, poor distribution).

I personally think our unconvincing five at the back phase seriously damaged his self-belief and allied to pretty much everyone complaining about how bad he was with his feet it’s unsurprising it began to affect his performances.

i think he actually needs a new start to recover his mojo. In the right set-up he will do fine

• edited May 4

A good assessment. I also feel like people are very harsh on the distribution thing. Our issue was never getting the ball into the final third effectively, it is that final pass and finish, neither of which can be supplied by the goalie.

The only time I have been genuinely annoyed at Max was the Barnsley debacle, but that is a heat of the moment thing and you forgive and support immediately afterwards.

I think goalies have a honeymoon period where they can do no wrong, and then get picked apart, generally. If Max had let in those trophy final goals he would be absolutely pilloried, for 100% certain. Ravs is still in his honeymoon phase (and a warmer more sympathetic personality to boot), so there is "nothing he could have done about either of them."

• It'd be interesting to know the real story that's behind this.

We all know the Barnsley screw up and we moved on. But the red card, that was barely a red, let alone "violent conduct" seemed to finish him. With it being unclear we'd even tried to appeal what was very obviously a ludicrous suspension.

• I would imagine he was very annoyed he didn't come straight back into the side when his suspension was up, and then even more annoyed when he didn't after Franco's performance versus Barnsley, not least because that meant he didn't play at Wembley which would have been particularly galling given that without an incredible performance from him in the semi final we wouldn't have been there in the first place.

To put that in context, Franco had been our keeper throughout that competition. Would have been easy to keep him in the team for the semi final but that game was deemed so important that we brought Max, aka our best goalkeeper, back in for it.

So yeah, I'm not at all surprised Max was pissed off. We now need another goalkeeper and to my mind we're looking for a first choice keeper, not a new back up.

• Yes I don't blame him leaving either has ambition not like bloomfield who picks his favorites etc its why we finished the season mid table and not in the playoffs we need a attacking manager not a lower league Gareth soughate.

• He may have the hair and woke values of Gareth Southgate but Matt won't be in the same league until he gets us relegated.

• Isn’t the whole job of being a football manager about picking your favourites.

• This misconception that Bloomfield has an Ian Stonebridge style sensible haircut has to stop.

Let alone that it's in any way shape or form anything like Southgate.

• Wow. That is big news incoming directors

• @trevor have you watched us since January?

• He's been at a loose end since we started winning and has totally messed up his weekends.

• I've always assumed Trevor doesn't attend games nor watch us live on ifollow, but religiously watches the full game retrospectively providing its a loss for WWFC.

• Rumour is he still watches on ceefax and is often commenting on results and events from the early 90s

• The smart money has to be on a gasroomer having a laugh with a 2nd account.

You surely wouldn't bother signing in to be so bleak yet steadfastly ignoring the years of good times.

• Speaking of ITK items, anyone have any insight on Forino or GMac?