Skip to content

23 / 24 Season Attendance Prediction Competition

Comments

• Finally - After the Blackpool Away Game:

Only two scoring predictions so far as I can make out -

Many congratulations to @NewburyWanderer who was Forecaster of the Week for this game with a score of 36 and therefore retakes the lead at the top of the Leaderboard. @Onlooker and @Will_i_ams are still in touch and in the 'within 3 points' zone.

Congratulations to @Twizz whose form has recently been inspired and this match score of 70 means a move up four places from 26th to 22nd, to a position on @micra's shoulder just outside the sub-100 zone.

• After the Derby Home Game:

Many congratulations to @NewburyWanderer for holding onto top spot after a match when many were close to the attendance.

Congratulations for the same reason to @Onlooker, @Will_i_ams and @Shev who held onto 2nd, 3rd and 4th places respectively.

Most other people did move places!

Congratulations to @Commoner [Match score 77] who took 5th place and to @a40 [25] who moved from 10th to 7th.

Commiserations to @MindlessDrugHoover [Match score 88] who gained a place, lost a place and ended up in the same place just a single predicted person short of @DevC.

Congratulations to @BSE [26] good enough to gain 3 places to 13th.

Many congratulations to @micra [40] well good enough for a giant leap from 21st in the lower part of the table up to 14th, firmly in the top half of the table and good enough to not just make it into the sub-100 average for the season but to be in the 80 or less zone.

Many congratulations to @mwite who was Forecaster of the Week for the game with a score of [15], which engendered a massive leap of 9 places from 26th to 17th and also a solid sub-100 score for the season.

Congratulations to @perfidious_albion [Match score 61] who also joined the sub-100 club this match. Congratulations to @our_frank [82] who was the fourth to reach the sub-100 club this match.

Congratulations to @mooneyman [Match score 61 too] up three places and now well set up around the tightly packed mid table.

Finally many congratulations to @MFH_Blue [Score 18 - 2nd closest of the match] for recording a new personal best prediction for the season, the only one of the day despite all the close scores and a move up the table.

I posted the Blackpool game update earlier this evening. The Shrewsbury away update for this Leaderboard will be after the update on the game attendance thread itself.

Happy predicting to all for the Port Vale game.

• Magnificent effort on your part, @railwaysteve. Much appreciated.

• After the Shrewsbury Away Match:

Catch Up completed - 3 updates - Blackpool (a), Derby (h) and Shrewsbury (a) all posted today

Congratulations to @NewburyWanderer on retaining top spot, to @Onlooker for keeping second spot, and to @Will_i_ams - Joint Forecaster of the Week [Match score 44] for closing almost all of the gap to the top two. Something like 'one or two points' separate the top three and it bodes well for a very close finish to the end of the season.

Congratulations to @Commoner - Joint Forecaster of the Week - [Match score 44], up one place and back in fourth place - @Commoner in 4th, @Shev in 5th and @ryan_w_kirkby2 in 6th are all around '5 points' from the top so are not ruled out as possible champions. The rest of the top ten are say '6 points' off the top and can also reach the pinacle without miracles being required.

Note that from @ryan_w_kirkby2 in 6th to @wwfcblue in 7th and also from @DevC in 9th to @MindlessDrugHoover in 10th place and also from @Forest_Blue in 12th to @mwite in 13th are all spearated by just a single predicted person over the season so far - all as close as you can get without being a tie.

Congratulations to @wwfcblue, [Match score 72], who moved from 10th to 7th.

Congratulations to @BSE [Match score 121] up two places from 13th to 11th.

Congratulations to @mwite [144] up four places from 17th to 13th.

All this just shows how close the mid-table is.

Congratulations to @PJS [83 - 4th best of the match] up four places 30th to 26th and to @williwycombe [151] up two places.

Happy predicting to all for the Port Vale game where I now think I have overestimated our possible away support.

• @NewburyWanderer is a phenomenon.

Odds on favourite to do the Gasroom prediction double.

• Been called a few things in my time @micra , but never that!

Thanks anyway. Tonight may be when it all comes crashing down, so I'll make the most of it.

• After the Port Vale Away Game:

Only Forecaster of the Week @Twizz 'scored' at all in this case although@our_frank, who was second came very close with an 11th personal best prediction of the season, think of @our_frank as recording an xG of around 0.94.

Anyway many congratulations to @Twizz, welcome to the sub-100 club and 4 places up the Leaderboard. Otherwise the tables are unaltered except the plus ones in the number of matches predicted column. Respect to those who are on 43.

Happy predicting for the long trip to Carlisle, our third successive away game.

• That Orient away prediction seems a lifetime away

• One thing about a rollercoaster season is that it can feel like a lifetime between highs.

There is a fair bit of excitement left in this competition and I was pleased and surprised with just how much the Carlisle game has changed the Leaderboard. I am just working on the post now and should have it up within half an hour.

• After the Carlisle Away Game:

Many congratulations to the top three who all held onto their places and indeed stayed at least one game clear of the chasing pack.

However ....

Congratulations to @wwfcblue who takes 4th place and commiserations to @Commoner (perhaps more of that in a separate post).

Many congratulations to @micra - a leap of nine places up the table - a new personal best prediction of the season and an amazing turnaround over the last ten games from 31st in the table after Game 33, the horrible away game at Stevenage.

I have had a check of 9th and 10th best scores, as there are just the two games left, and the top of the table is still within reach of @micra with predictions as close as yesterday's game: assuming of course that the top three all leave their forecasting skills in the box for the last two games.

Many congratulations to @Manboobs - also for a personal best of the season and a leap up to 12th from the lower part of the table. It just goes to show exactly how tight the middle of the Leaderboard is.

Many congratulations to @perfidious_albion - Forecaster of the Week - a very tidy personal best for the season - a leap into the top half of the table from 27th and a very dramatic way to join the Sub-100 Club.

Congratulations also to @our_frank for reaching the prestigious Sub-100 Club and a note that @mooneyman is moving ever closer.

Many congratulations to @peterparrotface - it has been a while since the Orient game - this week off the bottom and a new personal best prediction for the season.

Happy predicting to all for the Cambridge away game.

• @railwaysteve thanks for your support as always.

Not to go over the top but if I avoid relegation to the When Skies Are Blue attendance prediction league it will be, according to some, a greater escape than Torquay.

• Thanks @railwaysteve late season form a push towards mid table obscurity. That ‘40’ I failed to register with a 20 mins late post some months back now looks even more painful. On such failings are seasons won or lost.

Still ‘never too high, never too low’ - much like my prediction position.

• Thanks @railwaysteve quite the prediction weekend for me, best crowd of the season and called the 1-3 away win as well. It will all be down hill from here.

• edited April 27

After the Cambridge Away Game:

Here is the table going into the Final Day. In the top part the scores remained exactly the same as after the Carlisle away game.

The top three can all finish top of the Leaderboard with a favourable result on the last day. Congratulations to them is in order.

Congratulations to@thecatwwfc @thecatwwfc, @mooneyman, @Alexo and myself for moving up the other part of the table and also for @thecatwwfc and @mooneyman and myself for joining the ever expanding sub 100 club.

Please give it go on the last day - the last deadline to count is 11:30!

• End of the Season - After the Charlton Home Game:

Very many congratulations indeed to @NewburyWanderer - Attendance Prediction Champion of the Season as well as already being crowned Score Prediction Champion of the Season - probably better than Manchester City, which takes a considerable amount of concentration and application.

Many congratulations to @Onlooker and @Will_i_ams who ran @NewburyWanderer very close so that the result was still in doubt until the figures were in for the last game of the season.

Congratulations to @Commoner and @micra who both climbed a place on the last day to reach fourth and fifth respectively. @micra deserves a mention for the fact that he feared relegation in the early part of 2024 and has produced a Bloomfield quality turnround. Also there was some style in reaching fifth in that it was achieved by exactly matching the overall score of @wwfcblue so that the two of them ended the season in fifth equal and @wwfcblue did not lose a place.

The top four all managed at least ten predictions closer than one hundred, a tremendous achievement.

Congratulations to @Shev, @ryan_w_kirkby2, @a40 and @DevC who made up the remainder of the top ten, @DevC by a single predicted person from @MindlessDrugHoover.

Congratulations to @robin, to myself and to @Erroll_Sims who all improved scores and gained places on the Leaderboard on the last day.

The top part of the Leaderboard has 20 Forecasters for the first time this season, because of the tie in 19th between @bookertease and @perfidious_albion.

Congratulations to everyone who made it to a best ten average of better than one hundred.

Congratulations and thanks to those who made a prediction for every game this season - @NewburyWanderer, @Shev (thanks for the comments too!), @DevC (thanks for the score prediction competition at which I was terrible but enjoyed tremendously), @Manboobs (thanks for the comments), @robin (thank you for the times you posted official attendances post match) and @Twizz (who deserves a special mention more of which in minute)

Mentions for @Wendoverman, @our_frank, @thecatwwfc, @SmiroludyBlue and @LDF who achieved their positions on relatively few predictions.

Congratulations indeed to @Alexo who had the single best predicition of the season of a total attendance with a spot on forecast for our home game against Peterborough - a rather hope you will be able to repeat that (and we can repeat the score next season).

Congratulations for consistency goes to @Twizz who has all 'best ten prediction scores' all in the narrow band between 67 and 130.

Finally thanks to everyone who has made a prediction, I have really enjoyed doing it and its been a lot of fun with the ingenuity of some of the numerical arrangements. Next season I will see if I can manage the smiley emoticons for up and down movements on the Leaderboard I promised much earlier in the season.

Later in the summer I also hope to manage to produce an 'All Time Leaderboard as @Shev once suggested.

• Thanks @railwaysteve for all the hard work you put in which makes this competition so much fun to participate in - even it has turned out to be a “season in transition” for me! Enjoy your summer and hopefully you’ll be back again in August giving us all another reason to look forward to the new season!

• @railwaysteve thank you for your efforts and commitment over the season for putting on the competition. I look forward to taking part again next season.... if you can be arsed!!!

• Huge thanks for running this @railwaysteve it's been great fun as ever. Happy with my Wycombe-like mid table obscurity after a poor start to the season.

• Thanks @railwaysteve great fun.

• Thanks @railwaysteve, I'm overwhelmed really, now I know how St Martin and his players must have felt in 1993!

We're lucky to have two great competitions running side by side during the whole of the season, @railwaysteve and @DevC, take a bow.

I'm lucky that the format of this competition only takes into account the ten best guesses - outside of those I had some real outliers. If it had been a straight average over all 46 games, I'm sure I wouldn't have done as well.

Well done to everyone who entered, and I hope we can all do it again next season.

• Congratulations @NewburyWanderer !

I also wanted to express my sincere thanks to @railwaysteve & @railwaybeth for organising the attendance competition. Truly appreciated. I'm looking forward to next year and am happy to have made it into the top half after a dreadful start!

• Thanks for running this so well @railwaysteve . Very enjoyable if at times infuriating.

• @railwaysteve @railwaybeth @DevC thanks so much for running these competitions! Thoroughly enjoyable and adds another dimension to match days!

long may they continue 😀

• edited April 28

Thanks @railwaysteve - this competition is always brilliant!

Congratulations to NostradamusWanderer, I mean @NewburyWanderer, on a season for the ages!

• Thanks @railwaysteve for the kind words and for all the time and effort you continue to put in to running this competition.

Hope you and yours have an enjoyable close season and that Matt and his coaching colleagues continue to impress us with the shrewdness of their recruitment (and retention) over the next few months.

• thanks very much for doing this again @railwaysteve. Very much appreciated. I hope to "go again" next season when maybe my relentless pessimism will be rewarded.

• Thanks, @railwaysteve. Great bit of fun throughout the season and despite my poor showing I'll be back for more! Appreciate the time and effort that must go into this.

• Congratulations @NewburyWanderer 👋 on your win and to @Will_i_ams for your podium finish.

And thank you @railwaysteve and @railwaybeth for all the time and effort you expend each game. I have said before that I am fascinated by your in-depth analysis and commentary. Roll on next season!

• Thanks @railwaybeth a really enjoyable competition