Skip to content

FA Cup replays scrapped

Comments

• Exeter have only drawn 2 of their 22 away games to date!

• The Premier League season ends on May 22. On May 25th Spurs play Newcastle in a friendly. In Sydney, Australia.

• I think with your analytical mindset you really would find chess interesting. It is a game which rewards both pragmatic logic and flamboyant artistry. The online chess sites are also bursting with data and you, my friend, would drown in it. Football is awash with stats but chess would take you into different realm. It's there waiting for you!

• Cambridge have now come out against it as well

• Yeah, I've been thinking this! Definitely a very easy game to play virtually too.

• Well, easy to play - maybe not easy to succeed!

• The EFL have made their position clear now as well:

EFL Statement: FA Cup Replays - The English Football League

Essentially, the FA & PL said we may possibly be thinking about changes burried in a bunch of other talks, then made them anyway without consulting the EFL, despite the FA saying otherwise earlier today.

• Same here. I'd deplete the western world's c-bomb stockpiles if I were to write down my true feelings about the FA's apparent desire to undermine and devalue the FA Cup over the course of the last 10 or so years.

• That statement was in response to the FA's statement earlier which was published at midday.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2024/apr/19/statement-emirates-fa-cup-format-update-20241904

The EFL's statement was published at 2pm today

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/19/efl-statement--fa-cup-replays/

I wonder if this statement now allows all of the EFL clubs to voice their opinions on the matter? With the negative reaction, I wonder if all those clubs that don't comment on the situation agree with the decision?

This is an AWFUL look to the wider game and all those counties are going to be laughing at how disjointed we are. The decision that's been made (rightly or wrongly) has been made in a rush and without going through the correct protocols or procedures. The only way that the English game can save face is by announcing a reverting back to the original format and the decision will be discussed & reviewed with the possibility of it being introduced for the 25/26 season.

• A powerful image. Out of the 732 teams that entered the FA Cup, only 20 were consulted

• Alvechurch and Oxford City needed 5 replays? Now I am imagining that in the original game, Alvechurch fans sang "can we play you every week?" and Oxford City fans sang back "sure - why not?"

• Beyond even the issue with the FA Cup itself, this continues to highlight the wider issue of the Premier League unilaterally running (and ruining) the game. I was actually a little disappointed that the Super League did not go through, as I would be happy for the "massive" clubs to play each other in an endless loop away from everyone else. Yes, there would be less money to go round for the likes of us, but I actually think the new jeopardy of many teams being in with a shout of winning the league would keep the game compelling.

• You will find your dreams crammed full of fianchettoes, open files and discovered checks; don't tell them that you want to do away with added time after time control has been reached though - this thread will look mild by comparison.

• Shocking state of affairs.

At least the EFL have said it how it is with a robust statement.

I don't see why EFL teams should enter the FA Cup if they aren't even at the table to agree the rules of the tournament.

Actions speak louder than words. Withdrawing all 72 teams from next season's competition should be the next step unless the PL and FA come back to the table.

• My brother-in-law and his son were/are season ticket holders at Everton. They were down for a few days visiting. As a bonus I bought them both a ticket and the coach ticket for the game. To this day, they still say it was the best most exciting match they have ever witnessed. What a match and night that was and still brings back a smile to my face!

• I must say that the lack of response from our club seems to suggest they are fine with this. American owners, happy to take the money.

• Really disappointed that we are dragging our feet on a statement. We should be front and centre on this one

• A lot of clubs have now come out with a statement, too many to mention... but not us, the silence is deafening

• Possibly taking their time to consider all the facts and having to consult with owner/chairman whose life is several hours behind the rest of us.

Also we have a game on, several hundred miles away, so people may be travelling today.

• I'm absolutely flabbergasted you're not a Chess man. It'd be right up your street.

There's 100s of sequences for opening moves all with their own name. Could imagine you on a chess forum debating it.

• Oh yeah, of course... because that has stopped all the other clubs

• Short of calling the PL & FA deal a stitch up, that statement couldn't be clearer.

• You're correct, and I believe clubs do have to apply to enter the FA Cup each season. However, it would be a brave club which unilaterally didn't enter the competition next year.

• Well done.

Better late than never.

Wycombe Wanderers join clubs across the country in expressing its disappointment at the FA’s decision to scrap replays from the FA Cup with no prior consultation or dialogue with participating clubs.

We await further details regarding the future of the competition’s format and urge the FA to consider the wider interests of football and its clubs and supporters.

• edited April 20

Another note on "fixture congestion"

Competitive matches each club will have played by the end of the season if Man City reach the FA Cup Final:

1. Liverpool - 58
    2. Wycombe - 57
    3. Manchester City - 54
    4. Arsenal - 51

*Note: Teams in bold did not whine about their fixture congestion.

• I'm guessing team to have played fewest matches is also a Premier League club?

• I think what is coming out post announcement is even more concerning than the decision.

Shows complete contempt for the football league and non-league pyramid.

If a European Super League does ever mange to destroy the Premier League can’t say I’ll be shedding any tears. You reap what you sow.

• I would feel so much more sympathy for the Premier League teams if they didn’t fly off on lengthy pre-season tours every year, whilst moaning they don’t get enough downtime.

• @Shev if, and it is a big if, Posh get to the L1 playoff final they will have played 63 games this season & we dont hear them complaining

• Some things in football are just slightly illogical from the outside looking in. One of those things is replays but they absolutely should not be taken away, it's an horrendous idea.

Pitting yourself against a big team once, is nornally the stuff of dreams for any lower league pro or non league semi pro/amateur. To then complete and manage a draw in 90, the opportunity to do it again and potentially go their home or bring them to yours is what dreams are made of.

As some have pointed out, attendences have dropped off for this once great competition but that's because the big boys treat it like a major inconvenience. Through them out and give a place up to the Europe League or Bring on the boycott!