Skip to content

Being a first half team

2»

Comments

• In the words of that controversial LBC leftie phone host, admiration for Sam Vokes is a prime example of footballerisation. It is unquashable. The ultimate unshakable loyalty. The emperor’s clothes.

• Very disrespectful to a very good player.

Thankfully successive Wycombe managers know how good he is and how important to us he is, along with his teammates.

• I think Vokes is great! It was just not working in the second half as far as having an outlet (and it was the whole forward line, not just Vokes), and Blooms made the right changes. It's a squad game, and Taylor et al offered something different.

• What nonsense. Some Wycombe fans just think he's a very good player. Not a perfect player, but a very good one.

• He is. I reckon he's got at least one more cracking season in him if we can sort out what's around him. I think the biggest problem on Tuesday night for Vokes was that the rest of the team was so far back.

• I would hope Vokes and Taylor develop into a useful top two. Before his jnjury Dale was getting very close to scoring from scraps and knockdowns.

• I would be happy to see Taylor to start ahead of Hanlan tomorrow and see more of Sadler ahead of Philips

• Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think we are using big Sam the right way. I'm no football manager obviously, but to me he's a big number 9 and thrives on service. Flicking on for others to have a go doesn't seem right to me. We should be getting it out to the wings and whipping the ball into him in the penalty area... in my mind if we do that, he very easily ends up top goal scorer by some distance.

• edited October 2023

Agree wholeheartedly. It seems absurd that we sign one of the best strikers in the league then expect him to supply balls for others to run onto and, more often than not, waste. We'd look better, be more threatening and play to our strengths more by keeping Vokes up top and using the width and depth of the pitch to get to the by-line then cut balls back for him to shoot with.

• Indeed...it is disheartening to see Sam getting the ball just in front of Josh and passing it forward to....no-one!

• Vokes is a great header of the ball. Let’s get down the wing to the byline and put some crosses in.

• If we play like this every first half we might just be ok

• I struggle to remember a better first half. Ironically, the one which springs to mind is Fleetwood away in the playoffs!

• Have to take this with a pinch of salt though. That’s one of the worst halves I’ve seen from a league 1 side at home

• As a fellow wording orientated guy, may I point you to the word "looked", as in for that game, rather than "look" as a rule :)

After a win like that, no need for your usual stern demeanour old boy.

(Would put a smiley, but best not after your recent complaint).

• As an update to this, in the 10 league games since the Stevenage loss, we have scored 7 goals in the 83rd minute or later, and not conceded any. Quite a turnaround from earlier in the season! We seem much more of a second half team than we have been for years.

• So I guess it's typical of our crazy season that the only game recently where we have conceded late had to be in the one meaningful game we had left...

• To be fair, if we had kept conceding late in other games, the matches would still have meaning right now, but in a very scary way!

• I feel like we're much tougher than we were in the early months of the season. it's good to see that borne out!