Skip to content

Player of the Season debate

Comments

• Although I voted for Scowen, all four regular CBs (Low, Forino, Lonwijk, and Taff) have been very very good this season and I think they all deserve huge credit.

Our defensive record is 7th best in the division, despite an awful start and the miserable experiment with a chaotic back 5 that went on for far too long. Since switching to a back 4 we have been pretty imperious at the back (minus the Pompey and Barnsley games). It's a very good sign for next year!

• I agree with this. There is an obsession with finding the elusive ‘20-goals-a-season’ striker, but the majority of successful teams are those with the best defensive records. I know it’s a statement-of-the-bleeding-obvious but 1-0 is enough to win a football match.

• edited April 18

Our defensive record (53) matches the likes of Posh (56) and Oxford (54) who sit in the play-offs, but Posh have scored 29 more league goals than us and Oxford 21.

More goals needed next season if we hope to challenge.

• yeah, but that can be pretty dull.

Remember that Peter Taylor promotion? We got promoted and it still wasn't a particularly enjoyable season.

• Fair point but it is very difficult to find the balance between John Gorman-style attacking football and a more pragmatic approach to digging out wins. I guess it boils down to entertainment v. success but how wonderful it would be if we were able to combine both philosophies.

• I don't mind letting in 3 goals every game as long as we score 4. Would be a much more memorable season than 30 odd 1-0's

• Responding to Vital’s post above, of course I would love to see us score more goals, but there isn’t a single team in League One with a better defensive record than the top two Pompey and Derby.

• I actually think it's a different argument that persuades me we need to find a way to be more attacking next season. As @glasshalffull says, it's perfectly possible to get out of this division winning close games with a strong defensive record. But I just don't think you can do that and survive in the Championship. The teams we've seen go up from this divison and be succesful are the ones who could score three or more goals, and who then play the same way a division above. If we were fortunate enough to go up, we don't have the resources to buy players at that level who can do the same - it will need to be a continuation of the way we went up in the first place.

For what it's worth, I don't think we need a 20-goal striker. 10-15 would be fine, but we need more goals from the rest - especially the midfielders. Personally, I think Leahy playing in the more advanced midfield role would be a good start. Then it's about making sure that the likes of Sadlier / McCleary / Lubala start delivering far more in terms of goals and assists on a regular basis.

• I’ve gone for Potts. He’s been a class above this season and is undoubtedly going to play much higher than league 1 football in the future.

Special mentions to Taffazoli who wasn’t far behind Potts for being a significant component in turning our season around after Christmas (I also thought he was good pre-Xmas), Joe Low for breaking through and achieving what very few little people would have anticipated at the start of the season and also Sadlier for his emergence on the left wing, providing most of our creativity in games.

• We certainly do need a regular goal scorer, or two! The squad is the best I've known for a long time. Very good points above, but I voted for Grimmer for the reason that he stepped up to the captain's role and in my opinion his example and leadership were very big factors in our great end to the season.

• What debate? Of course it’s Scowen

• I agree, but to be fair about half the votes were for other players so far, which indicates the need for a little debate at least!

• I went Luke. Goals, assists, willingness to play in a position that he dislikes, having come to Wycombe to play in midfield, and a real character to boot.

• Clear cut winner. Well done Josh.

• edited April 19

I wonder if the wider fanbase will vote like us thoughtful analysts on the Gasroom, or if familiarity fatigue will influence a different winner? Josh stands to win for the third season in a row (as far as the fan award, anyway).

• Very very tough to call, but I've gone for Joe Low. In a season when probably everyone has had a little dip or two at some point, to me he would probably be the one who has had the fewest.

• I went for Jack Grimmer as probably the most improved player in the squad and has really grown into his role as one of the squad leaders/captain.

To be fair I could easily have voted for any of those 9 who have all been immense this season

• I assume we still give out a young player award

• What is stopping other fans sabotaging the website vote?

West Ham fans could vote for Potts in numbers!

Reading fans could vote for Stryjek.

• Freddie Potts wins supporters player of the year. Big Nige wins goal of the season.

Interestingly official Twitter says all laonees will be saying goodbye on Saturday.

Or will they....

• Nigel until January doesn’t feel too unrealistic …. Dale Taylor feels achievable too

• edited April 25

I wanted Josh, but maybe there is some familiarity fatigue there.

Well done young Freddie!

• Potts is fantastic. Not quite at the Eze level yet but certainly close. But I’m not sure he’s ready for upper Championship yet. In our living environment his mistakes happen and management and fans do not scream for blood. Would a moment of flamboyance be so welcome at Leeds if it led to an opposition attack?

Fascinated to see who gets to look after him next.

• It was obvious from the beginning that Potts will play in the PL one day but much as I enjoy watching him play, if I had to choose one of our loanees to return next season it would be Lonwijk. His reading of the game, ability to deal with physical opponents, coolness in possession and versatility makes him a very rare breed at our level.

• As far as Big Nige goes, I have very much failed to adhere to the credo "never fall in love with a loan player"

Absolute scenes if he stays for next season

• Really pleased for Potts. Love watching him play and he's a real prospect. Not sure I'd have had him as player of the season, but perhaps there is a bit of fatigue with Scowen clearly being our best player and winning it very time!

• I hear you about Lonwijk but with Forino, Low and Taff in the centre all making a case to be in the team we have to accept that at least one has to go if we were to dream of signing him.