Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• I really think those who are still moaning about Max being dropped need to accept that it's not pure coincidence that we've kept 5 clean sheets in our last 7 league matches, 6 in the 9.5 he's played. Max had the same defenders in front of him that Franco has and kept 7 clean sheets in his 32.5 league matches this season. I don't think you can blame the system change either - we never saw Ravizzoli in goal with a back five, playing it out. It may well have suited him a lot more than it suited Max.

And yes, I was Bloomfield in all the way through and very glad that sense prevailed.

• Maybe it is just coincidence?

• I’d be willing to bet neither is our first choice keeper next year

• Max had an absolute shocker today judging by the highlights.

Delighted with another win and to see this team is keen to build momentum instead of sitting on the proverbial beach.

• Just watched the first goal Max conceded . Absolutely horrendous. Not going to do a lot for his confidence. Not sure Crewe will want to keep him for the full 7 days.

• I'd love it! For the record, I am perfectly unoffended for every ex-Wycombe player to celebrate like mad when they score against us.

• Ravizzoli wasn't very good today, his kicking was shit, first half he was shite... but he kept another clean sheet.

• Ravizzoli still makes me very nervous, especially claiming long balls that bounce through just ahead of the onrushing attacker and last defender. We have had some circus moments in those clean sheets!

• That first goal went straight through his hands. To be fair, the other 2 goals he couldn't have done much with. However, I've noticed that there is a lack of effort from him. Even though he might not get there, he doesn't even try to and seems to give up on it.

• I've never wanted Bloomfield from the start...but Ainsworth has had his time.. It's probably me, i've never had that connection with him even as a player, like with Ainsworth and Dobbo...

• Thank goodness for that. Chance for some less agricultural football than we witnessed for the first hour yesterday, epitomised by the physical battering (in particular) of Gideon Kodua. Welcome to League One Gideon. At times Shrewsbury looked like Shropshire’s version of Stevenage. Were any of their players under six foot?

• Game and definitely long kicking by goalkeepers and defenders was severely impacted by the wind yesterday. (Is it me or does it always seem to be windy at Shrewsbury?) I don’t feel Max this season has played at the level he did last. To me our defence has seemed more assured since Ravizolli has come in even though there has been significant rotation of the players playing in front of him. Hard on Max after his performance at Bradford (albeit probably an isolated highlight of his season) but for me Ravizolli has the keepers shirt on merit at the moment.

• The ‘keeper situation is somewhat exaggerated by the fact that we have 2 current players who are good enough for league 1. They are the match of most the opposition ‘keepers we play against most weeks. But for the last few years we’ve been blessed with a series of OUTSTANDING ‘keepers. And these two aren’t most games.

And Matt will have to choose where budget goes. On a good enough keeper and somewhere else in the squad or an outstanding ’keeper.

• Completely disagree. Neither Stryjek nor Ravizolli are good enough for League One.

Stryjek is a reasonable shot stopper but not particularly impressive on crosses and has terrible distribution. Some recent decision-making has let him down and there are serious doubts over his temperament.

Ravizolli is a reasonable shot stopper and terrible on crosses, his distribution is OK. He may be a suitable No.2 but certainly not No.1.

• Unless the sale goes ahead and we have money to burn, I can't see we can spend a lot more of the current budget on a new occupier of the onion bag. Our current keepers are both average League 1 standard. Priority should be a quality mobile striker to replace Vokes

• We need a 'keeper that suits the way Blooms seemingly would prefer to play. Neither of the current pair is good enough with their feet, among other weaknesses. And we don't need to splash the cash - there will be plenty of young PL GKs in need of a loan.

• Grimsby's first was an error, but it's hard to judge emergency keepers on one game, where they've met their new team mates that morning.

Thommo's goal was good wasn't it? Great to see him playing and enjoying it again.

• Has Rav's form also been linked with Forino's form? He was outstanding at Wembley and looked really good yesterday.

Or does this up-turn in form mean that Championship clubs have been in touch and he's proving that he needs more in their contract offers?

• Ravs distribution is miles better than Max's, but I think that's where it ends, I think Max does everything else better. The thing that strikes me is Rav looks absolutely terrified when the opposition get a corner, he's not very commanding, but a good shot stopper. In my opinion a very good number 2, but not a number 1.

• They're both good enough, but we need better than that if our aim is top 6.

• I wonder how many other factors are involved too? Namely, Blooms might be eager to cycle the squad until they are all his own signings, and Max was a GA signing. I don't mean that in a negative sense, just in a sense of if there are two players of a similar level, Blooms might prefer the chap he brought in. Secondly, if Fran is on less money than Max, perhaps it is seen as freeing up funds for elsewhere.

I prefer Max, but am happy enough if we get someone better than either in.

• edited April 14

I wanted Blooms long before he was even a manager with Colchester, in hopes of continuing the Wycombe culture, which he appears to have done well based on what was said during the evening with JJ. However, I still think that this season has simply bought him the chance to go into another season. Ultimately, he is on a growth arc, and next season is the "no excuses" season, where he has his own comparatively settled squad and system and has been around long enough for us all to see what he is really about. Another season of long winless streaks with difficulty manufacturing goals and questions would rightly be asked again.

That all being said, despite us having a decent enough budget, it is always worth remembering that we have perhaps overly elevated expectations at times. Ultimately, we might have hoped to compete with Portsmouth, Derby, Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough, but should not necessarily expect to. I think realistic expectations should still be in the 6th-14th area, with the top end of that a job well done. So despite everything this season, we will probably end up simply on the low end of the expectations scale without it being a complete disaster - which considering the growing pains, late goals conceded, 5ATB, untimely injuries and all, is not so bad.

• I don't think Blooms is petty enough to want people out just because he didn't buy them but if he wants something or someone different and Max is either out of contract or wanted elsewhere things could easily happen.

Btw I'm not sure our Georgian friend has room under scmp or whatever it's called now to splash his cash even if he wanted to. The club are due to get more from Sky but so will all our competitors.

• edited April 14

I don't think Blooms is petty, but I think management dynamics are easier when you have your own team in - so he is not necessarily looking to actively get rid of anyone, but if two players are of a similar level, there could be a preference for the player he actually selected, which I think would be natural.

• I understand your argument but I don’t think Blooms would look at it that way for one moment. He has picked Max for the vast majority of games since becoming manager, plus he has consistently selected other GA signings like Grimmer, Taf, Scowen, McCleary etc.

• Good point, but I don't think we have better players in those spots. I'm not saying he would pick lesser players, just that if he has a decision to make. It's not as underhand as it sounds - anyone who has been in management feels a little differently about people they brought in themselves.

• Blooms has 12 years before that can be established - let's wait and see eh?

• Assuming Max leaves I'd be happy with Rav as backup next season but not starting first choice if we have ambitions to challenge. Might seem a strange shout but I'd try and prise Luke Southwood away from Cheltenham, especially if they are relegated. Always been impressed with him over the years and saved Potts penalty at AP this season. I also think he has the sh!thouse mentality to thrive with us and fit in well.

• That's not a strange shout at all - he's an excellent keeper.