Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• I thought it was one of the key qualities of a keeper to keep a clean sheet, but what do I know!

• You could stick my Sunday league goalkeeper in goal for us today and we’d have kept a clean sheet (to be fair he is ex semi pro)

• My point being the defence plays a major part in keeping them!

• edited April 13

It seems only a few games ago where a fair few people were moaning that Rav makes the defence very uneasy.

Funny how quickly opinions can change.

Bloomy seems to have decided that Max doesn't fit the style he's trying to play. Whether that means Rav will be number 1 next season is anyone's guess.

A new / actual left back has to be high up the priorities list, but keeper situation and a new game changing forward are up there too.

• I certainly wouldn’t extend Vokes’ contract on his likely existing wages. He is not a good fit for us any longer sadly.

• 55 points with 4 games remaining. There was a time when getting that many points looking unlikely.

Matt has pulled things around and since the very successful January window we have looked very good.

Top half and 60+ points would be a good season indeed.

• Agreed, we've reached a natural end. But we've got great value out of him.

• I’d like Shepherd to get a start before the end of the season. No idea about the standard of the LOI, but he played a lot for Dundalk.

• More often that you think. Sometimes the scale / severity of the injury can also influence the decision. When a ref goes to check on a player after a challenge where there will be a card, sometimes its just to see where the stud marks are or where the impact was. Then the reaction like a mass confrontation gives an indication that action needs to be taken with (at least) 2 players but it'll normally be more

• A mostly terrible game, but the sending off coupled with the introduction of Kone changed the game completely. We took control after the red card and used the full width of the pitch well. 2 well worked and well taken goals.

• I'll also admit it - all trends at the time pointed towards a relegation battle. All credit to Matt and the team for turning things around, and for a successful January window. A big summer ahead!

• A win and two draws looks perfectly feasible.

No idea which of the four remaining games is most likely to yield three points but a win against Charlton at Adams Park on the last day of the season would set the scene for a summer filled with optimism and positivity.

My Charlton supporting London mate will probably be visiting us after the match for the fish and chips that we traditionally enjoy after Wycombe v Charlton games. Would be slightly awkward if our victory resulted in their relegation but, without checking, I think they’re probably safe.

• Yep, comfortably safe in 16th.

Us versus Charlton on the last day will be about as mid table a battle as it gets.

• Showing my youth here, but it's still weird for me to see Charlton as an 'established' League One club. They're still a solid Premier League outfit in my mind!

• That took a re-read, as my perception is that they've not been anywhere near the premier league in yonks, so am surprised you even remember them as one!

• Vokesy’s course has run here. He’s been great for us but time to move on.

• I remember the Curbishley years, and Brad Friedel scoring at the Valley for Blackburn.

• This will be the 15th season we have finished above the relegation places of L1, and Blooms can guide us to anywhere from the 7th to 14th highest watermark in Wycombe history (we are already guaranteed to be better than the 15th).

• I reckon there’s an age where you mentally categorise each club as big, small etc and then your brain never bothers updating that info as you get older.

• Good result in the end. Boring for the first hour or so and then once the red card happened and the subs MB made there was only going to be one winner.

Not bad when you can bring on Kone, Butcher, Sadlier and Wheeler and even Taf at the end!

Thought Leahy was really good today and McCleary come alive the last half hour.

Maybe time to give Max a runout too, but another clean sheet and positives to take moving forward.

Never got the ground till just before kick off as Sadie had a game at 12, but worth the trip and looking forward to Port Vale on tues.

• Aren't most football stats an extremely basic way of assessing things?!

• Just back from Shrewsbury and pleased to read that with one exception those who wanted Bloomfield sacked have reflected that they were a little hasty in their judgement. It’s a long old season! Not a classic today but 3 points, a clean sheet and some excellent individual performances. I thought Forino was once again outstanding, Kone excellent and a special mention for Kodua who did well before tiring in the second half-I think he could be a real gem if we can keep him next season.

• The mention of Charlton reminds me of the worst match I ever saw at the Valley in March 1952. Charlton played Manchester City and it was a bright windy day with a bone-hard pitch bereft of grass. The ball was bouncing so much the players couldn't control it. Many will remember how end-of-the-season pitches were in those days and how fortunate we are today that pitches have improved so much.

• This is so true. Can you imagine living in a world now where your brain has Wycombe as one of the biggest amateur clubs in the country?

• Kone has been a revelation, but so far has been better in shorter bursts than when starting. Someone coming on after an hour an running a 10 man team ragged doesn't mean they can lead a line for 90.

I imagine a large problem with Max is that he's won't sign a new contract.

• edited April 13

Dock Leahy a week's wages for not celebrating against his former club...

• I think that’s unfair on both of Kone’s starts against Peterborough. He did a pretty good job leading the line and panicking their defence in both (albeit not for 90 mins)