Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Derby

Comments

• The turnaround from Boxing Day, when even the most optimistic among us couldn’t see a way forward for Blooms, is remarkable. Who knows what the future holds with the Couhigs, but not sacking him when it would have been the easy thing to do may turn out to be their best decision as owners.

A real anomaly to have four of our last five away from home, but they’re all winnable games. We could finish the season with some great momentum.

• I don’t think it would have been at all easy to sack Matt. I’m glad, as it turns out.

• I was very strongly Bloomfield out around Christmas and New Year (especially after the Orient (a) and Fleetwood (h) games), but he really has turned it around over the last few months. I'm another one who thought that was our most promising performance of the season (after the first 10-15 mins anyway). Some fantastic football on display, rock solid defending, great team spirit, and some exciting young players. I'm definitely far more optimistic for next year having watched that.

Also, I was very critical of Blooms signings earlier this season, but reflecting on it whilst walking home, he's actually made some brilliant acquisitions. Sadlier, Lonwijk, Butcher, and Lubala have all been fantastic since joining in January. Joe Low is an incredible purchase. And Potts is probably the best loan we've had since Eze. So overall, his ratio of successes to failures is actually quite impressive.

If we can keep the core of this squad together and add some more astute signings this summer (with Lomatdze's money?), then we should be set up for an excellent season next year

• I am definitely impressed with the upturn in form. A lot of that has centred around the switch to the back four and the reduced focus on Vokes. I do wonder what might have been if Hanlan stayed fit.

• It's all hypothetical, at the moment '85. Bolton win all 4, they are up. They do, though, have to play Pompey this weekend and a Pompey win would see them promoted as Champions. They also have Posh on the last day of the season so at least one of them will drop points on the run in. Posh can get equal with us if they win all theirs, however, our GD is +5 better at the moment and there's their last day game against Bolton as well. Too many ifs, buts and maybes for my liking. Win our last 3 and we give ourselves a chance. Many twists and turns to come, IMO.

• I agree with most of the comments. However, I thought Rav was very good. Derby tried to beat him with their early corners being fired in at him. One fantastic turn away which went for another corner, he showed great strong hands to turn the corners away. Derby soon stopped that tactic. Kone was good, in fact they all were. Just missing that final cutting edge, but maybe a pre- season working on this will give results.

A great game and deserved result.

• I'd be delighted if Bolton went up automatically except it would leave us with Derby, Peterboro, Barnsley and Oxford in the play-offs.

So come on Lincoln!

• There was an earlier period in the season where it felt like it hard turned, but that was a bit of a false dawn and the bottom was even lower.

But since a couple of new signings you feel that we've definitely properly moved on a gear.

We need a big summer to turn things into a play off competing team, but the danger of relegation has definitely been smashed into dodge.

• If Blooms recruits as well in the summer as he did in January next season is going to be a lot of fun.

• Especially if we can get a 'keeper that's good with his feet. Should be plenty in need of a loan from the Prem.

• Whatever happened to the local lad, who seemed to coming before Man Utd stitched us up. Can't remember his name, did he end up going anywhere else ?

• Now on Sunderland's bench. He's now a No2 at least albeit for a lower level club and still not playing. Not sure whether that is a forwards, backwards or sideways move tbh - maybe diagonal?

• Hasn’t played a minute in the league this season, his only action was in the first round of the league cup against Crewe.

• Really Derby should have beaten us comfortably if they hadn't fluffed their lines quite so spectacularly in front of goal. Their pace and movement was as good as I've seen this season, which you would expect of a club that can outspend us by a some margin (even when wearing their sackcloth and ashes). After our nervy start we got increasingly into the game and looked capable of nicking a goal.

Even if we'd have lost that, that level of performance is what we need to keep up for the rest of this season and the intensity we'll need at the beginning of the next.

On a side note, Matt looked visibly touched when his name was chanted when the players took the applause of the few who were present - he desperately wants to be a success for this club, hopefully the upward trend since the turn of the year will continue.

• Poor lad found himself splashed over the back pages of the papers over the summer after committing the crime of fouling a Wrexham player in a pre-season friendly. Felt really sorry for him (Bishop that is, not the Wrexham player!). It was hardly in the Schumacher/Battiston category and wouldn't have raised any attention whatsoever had it been on any other lower division striker and probability even most Premier League strikers.

• That’s made my week, I knew someone would get it .

• Decent game last night, some good stuff on show and nice to see such positivity after Sunday. Roll on next season, ideally with Nigel joining us.

• I'd be astonished if we got Nigel on loan again. He's a Championship player.

• Maybe we will sign him if Rob wants to back a move that would help us improve our chances of reaching the Championship. Yes he would be expensive but maybe Rob and the Georgian gentleman may see it as an investment for the future.

• Even if we could afford it, he wouldn't sign. He'll be on loan at a Champ club next season then possibly in the Wolves first team after that.

• You seem exceptionally adamant on this one. If you're wrong, can the gasroom brotherhood devise a fitting forfeit?

• I'm with flymo on this one - I would be staggered to see Lonny at our level again. However, I do like the idea of forfeits for incorrect predictions!

• It’s very interesting that just a couple of months ago questions were asked about Longwijk and Bloomfield’s judgement after his shocker v Stevenage. A reminder that you need to give people a chance.

• That’s right! Those first few games he looked like he was trying to get sent off / subbed. He’s been brilliant since, not to mention an overhead goal of the season contender.

• Remember how pleasantly surprised we were (filled with disbelief even) when Dom Gape was signed on a permanent basis following a loan spell the previous season?

I don’t think that is at all likely with Lonwjk and it’s definitely not going to happen with Potts, of course, but I don’t want to rule it out with Dale Taylor and I feel reasonably confident that Gideon Kodua will be with us on loan again next season. That piece of Wembley wizardry will linger long in the memory and I am looking forward to more of the same over the next couple of weeks.