Skip to content

Thumbing

Comments

• Well if you just wanted to be ignored, you only had to say @bargepole.

• edited April 1

How can @micra have a 43% negative reaction? I assume @trevor does not post enough or is off the scale of measurement.

• edited April 1

Trevor’s negative reactions out of total reactions stand at 81%

• We could always have a league table on who's had the most thumbs up & down every month so that we could see whats been going on? It might also highlight someone who might need a hand on a one to one conversation?

• Problem being surely is that it would become like X, (formerly known as Twitter), you would only react to posts you like? What I like about this is you don't always agree with everyone's view but you can at least debate generally in a civilised manner. If the only option is to like a post then you would never know if you are in the minority. 🤷‍♂️

• edited April 2

The trouble is, when Wendoverman makes a point of commenting on every thumb down he receives, it probably awakens the mischief in some to thumb down every comment he makes.

Bit childish, sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it worse than that.

I think the best way to deal with it would be to get rid of the thumbs up/thumbs down thing altogether, or at least the thumbs down. They're really not worth people feeling bad about them.

But I'm not going to tell The Doc how to run this place. He's got what, as far as I can see, is the best club fans forum on the internet going here so he must be doing something right.

• The other point I'd make is, if they really bother you that much then don't look at them

• On a separate note I am all for Subject lines such as 'Thumbing'

It creates such intrigue. I almost had no idea what to expect from the thread.

I was mildly disappointed that it was about voting a post up or down.

• We could talk about greatest thumbs - Paul McCartney's bass playing thumb has to be up there!

• More topically.....

• Thumbelina

• I was expecting something along those lines to be honest..... Took me right back to those heady days of youth club dances in the late 60's .

• Well that didn’t work quite how I imagined it.

• Their autobiograhy contains the superb line I know you've been shagging the magician's assistant, you've got glitter on your balls

• Appreciate the comments in here. I should stress though, that I've really only seen 3 users abusing the thumbs in a targeted way. I assume those users know who they are, and that they now know that I know who they are. Any more dickery and they'll be publicly outed and or banned. I've also now written a little script that does the data diving for me so that it's easier to find abuse.

As for everyone else, the way the data is structured behind the scenes on here is frankly bonkers so arbitrarily working out who thumbed what is more time consuming than it should be, so rest safe in the knowledge that I'm not rummaging around in that information, and I also don't care who downvotes me or how many I get. Thumb away to your heart's content.

The original goal with the thumbs was to help with the signal to noise ratio, and I think it still works on that level. Up votes save us all from wading through ten posts that just say "I agree" or similar, down votes save us from a lot of arguments and mudslinging. Neither gets rid of it all, but I suspect the signal to noise would be considerably worsened if I did remove them.

It took me far too long to learn to live by the maxim that one should never make themselves feel better by making someone else feel worse, but I try to these days. If I appear to fail to live up to that, please call me out. And maybe our three users could also reflect on that.

• edited April 2

Thumbing does need context though, as thumbing your nose is quite different again...

• There are worse appendages to be thumbing in public.

• I really don’t take any notice of thumbs down in response to my posts. I take it as someone simply disagrees with me and that is their prerogative.

• Interesting explanation on the purpose of the votes, thanks.

Also, "dickery" is an excellent noun.

• Wasn't Cedric Dickery in Harry Potter?