Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Blackpool

Comments

• Sorry, that will sound incomprehensible now that you’ve edited!

• edited April 1

I didn't go, but paid to watch at home..... l actually enjoyed the game.... fairly entertaining as far as a nil nil goes....

It was a fair result. Both teams lacked creativity in the final third and both teams could argue that they had more potent front lines that were not started.

Two teams that are going to have to accept mid table obscurity this season.

There were some good things to take away though..... for me anyways......

There were some good performances out there....

It was good to see J Mac back in the starting line up. I think he played well without being spectacular.

Id say a pretty solid performance without being spectacular would fit the cap for most.

Campbell had a couple of good moments.... tricky feet... 1 notable excellent cross.... but otherwise anonymous again.... he just didn't seem to have any confidence?? He apparently has ability but get the ball and always passes back or to the side. Hardly ever runs at the defence like we all were expecting he would.... he's no Mehmeti...... and actually not even close to Nick Freeman....

My players of the match were Luke Leahey, Matty Butcher and for the late saves.... Franco.

• edited April 1

on 51 it would almost be unprecedented now, with our goal difference. 30 years since someone went down on 52, and 20 years since 51 (and they probably had a worse goal difference than us).

I'll still be much happier when we are on 53, anyway.

One of the reasons I want to be mathematically safe early is for JJ to (hopefully) play the final home game, so we can dive all over the shop to get him his 100th goal contribution.

• Yeah, I hadn’t seen this thread until full time and didn’t expect it to be quite so down.

I thought we played some decent football at points in the game, competed well against a slick passing side and looked strong defensively.

They have a very strong home record, and were obviously desperate to go for it to stop their season petering out.

I thought the squad rotation was very sensible so credit to MB for that.

I think the key today was to put in a decent performance, show cohesion as a team and have some momentum going into the Wembley game.

I thought we did that, to be honest, with the Scowen injury being the only downer for me on the pitch (and Forino having to call out abuse off the pitch).

• Agreed that he is in his twilight.... but I think it's a harsh comment based on the chances he had.... both were not nailed on finishes for any striker

• Agree with this. We made 6 changes against a team just 3 points behind the playoff places at k.o. and with one of the best home records in the division (beaten only by Pompey, Derby and Bolton) and thoroughly deserved a point, nearly got all 3. Plenty to be encouraged by.

• Agree with @PBo and @Alexo - thought we did a professional job today shutting out a playoff chasing side away from home.

• Yes, saw Forino talking to the ref and pointing towards the South stand, a couple of minutes later during a stop in play the ref went over to the fourth official along with what looked like both managers.

The game was stopped for around 30 seconds while he spoke with everyone on the touch line.

This was in the first half, at half time the stadium announcer asked the South stand to report any abuse to the club and they would be searching CCTV for the guilty party/parties.

Fair play to Blackpool for jumping on it straight away and taking immediate action. 👏🏻

• Sounds like Blackpool handled it very well. Lifetime ban for the abuser please.

• I’d still say it was turgid but a professional performance and sensible squad rotation. Very much hope Josh is OK I want to see him lift that trophy high after a decent shift on the pitch.

• I am (so thanks for the healing thoughts), but i'd not meant in that sense. just in the sense of it feeling a right end of season thrill-less job.

• Probs before your time, but we had an absolutely ridiculous 4-2 win there in the late 90s.

Featuring probably one of the worst ever misses, from our Stallard. Through on goal, and somehow missed from a few cm out, only for McGavin to salvage it and give him a closer (1cm off the line) finish to actually score, all in the same move.

Worth finding it for the comedy.

We started that season going decently, top of the league for a bit, only for a 4-1 home defeat to Carlisle and a young Matt Jansen blowing it up.

• An absolute credit when you realise Leahy was the only back four starter from the Pompey game.

If we can keep the core of this team together and add some attacking threat, then we will be some team next season.

• Fair point and some great defending, but I was bored to tears watching that. 90+ minutes before our first shot on target.

And I don’t think we can offer ‘6 changes’ as an excuse. As far as I can see, Blooms is very keen on unforced changes, so I’d assume he sees it as a positive.

• edited April 1

My earliest football memory is a hazy one of Beckham's free-kick vs Greece. Earliest clear memory is his penalty vs Argentina at the 2002 World Cup haha.

• I feel sorry for you. Football basically peaked in the mid 90s.

Full backs who could actually defend. Heck, Centre backs who could actually defend!

Two midfielders who could both get up and back, none of this loathsome job share "holding" midfield nonsense.

Wingers on their proper side who actually crossed it after beating players.

And actually having 2 strikers so there might be someone to head it in.

Glory days.

• edited April 1

I totally agree! The 90s were absolutely iconic for football, and in many ways Britain in general.

Of course, I left in 2000, so things were always going to go downhill from there. 😎

• Ahh ... Proper wingers and 2 strikers ! Glory days indeed !

• My earliest football memory in a vague sense is the 1982 World Cup, though without clear memories of anything in particular.

My earliest clear memory is Oxford 3-0 QPR in the Milk Cup, unfortunately!

• Hmm, I got to watch arguably the two greatest teams of all time - Pep's Barça and Del Bosque's Spain - so I'm not going to complain!

• You can see whenever anyone does their best Wycombe 11 it's always the 4-4-2 formation.

I think we should either do an Open letter, or a petition to bring it back.

• I am hoping that Josh’s being subbed was more of a precautionary action to prevent further injury taking him out the game next week. Sadly my theory is probably incorrect.

• One team I always rank highly is the France team that won the Euros in 2000. A joy to watch! I remember that tournament well because I moved in the middle of it, and trying to find the final score in Los Angeles, all I could find was a tiny blurb on the back of a newspaper saying France had beaten Italy.

Contrast to now, when there are beautiful football-only stadiums all over America and Wrexham's results will often be headlines on ESPN, and the worm has turned rather dramatically!

• Thought you were going to say the great Greece Euro winners of whenever that was.

• All this talk of greatest teams gives me a good idea for an off-season vote, anyway!

(Wycombe 2019-20 will win, of course).

• 04, probably the worst team ever to win a major tournament

• 1966 World Cup winners - amazing team and 4-4-2.

Banks

Cohen, Charlton, Moore, Wilson

Ball, Styles, Charlton, Peters

Hunt and Hurst.

The great Jimmy Greaves not even in that 11.