Skip to content

Culture Corner

Comments

• Ed_Ed_
    edited March 30

last thing I stepped out for was Khatia Buniatishvilli at the Barbican just over a week ago, fantastically accomplished pianist, her recordings are well worth getting and she can be found easily on YouTube.

If I get the chance to step out soon, the National Theatre has Michael Sheen cast a Nye Bevan, this will surely be great.

• Michael Sheen as Nye Bevan sounds right up my street.

• I saw Nye at the National Theatre the other week. A decent play elevated to top class stuff by Sheen’s performance. Not a dry eye in the house at the end.

• Watched one episode of Masters of the Air. Not for me. Incredibly ponderous, with a surfeit of mumbling actors.

I’m so tired of battle scenes where you can’t hear a word of dialogue.

The Completely Made Up Adventures of Dick Turpin is good fun on Apple.

• Really? The trailers made that look like Noel Fielding making absolutely no effort whatsoever

• Things that really annoy me about modern TV dramas and films;

Actors mumbling the dialogue (Casting directors need to make more use of Brian Blessed)

Night time scenes shot in near or total darkness, so that you can't see what is going on

Day time scenes shot with a brightly lit window behind the actors, so their faces are in shadow

At lease two of the main characters looking very similar, to confuse the audience.

• You do realise that those perceived faults could also be a symptom of the watchers old age @bargepole?

• Two of those things are also probably exacerbated by a TV that doesn’t support Dolby Vision or HDR10.

The similar looking characters one I can get behind though, I have mild face blindness and can occasionally watch an entire scene thinking one character is someone else.

• The other half and I really enjoyed Slow Horses.

I like to think Gary Oldman is playing the same MI5 agent he did in the Film version of Tinker Tailor Soilder spy (Smiley), only 40 years later and obviously very burnt out .

• Slow Horses is fantastic. And I can't believe we've made it to page 2 without Severance getting a mention - the best TV show since Twin Peaks in my opinion.

• Slow Horses, Severance, Masters of the Air & Astrid are some of the best things I have seen in ages

in terms of documentaries I thought Breathtaking, Mr Bates & Miners Strike 1984 were all really good

• The only gripe I had with Masters of the Air was the clichéd silly arse RAF officers in one episode who had to be taught a lesson in fighting wars (after three years)

• Twin Peaks is without doubt the best television series ever made.

Perfection

• And, for the ever so slightly hearing-impaired, bright backgrounds to white subtitles.

• Just watched the best tv programme of the year, hour and a half show called ‘An Evening with Joe Jacobson’ on WanderersTV

• I could only do about 10 minutes of that, promising, decent cast but not actually very funny, went on to slow horses instead and did series one in one sitting, great stuff.

• edited March 31

Mrs W was working at Ashridge at the time they were filming Dick Turpin. Lots of trying to get free drinks and food for the cast from the busy cafe...to no avail.

• Add to that an incredibly loud score + a mumbling actor. I was genuinely unsure at times in Dune Part 2 if I was meant to be able to hear the dialogue or just infer it from the music.

• Severance is magnificent. Up there with Homicide: Life On The Street and Better Call Saul in my opinion.

Slow Horses very very good but not sure season 3 was on a par with the first two.

• I know what you mean about S3, but once I settled into it just being a little more comedic and a little less realistic I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Oh yes it was good, just not quite as sublime as 1 and 2.

• Thank you @bargepole. You have set me up nicely to mention the mighty Saxon again. The thunderous rockers invited their fellow Yorkie, Brian Blessed, to deliver a typically booming proclamation to open their latest album. Blessed's narration of "The Prophecy" leads us neatly into the title track "Hell, Fire and Damnation". There's culture in metal 🤘

• Im quite enjoying the 3 body problem, the dark forest hypothesis is an interesting idea although there seem to be a few characters that are carrying the story and a few that are just padding.

And is there more than one season in it .

• Just watched this last night too - absolutely iconic. So many funny one liners between Phil, JJ and Bayo especially.

• Good work, hadn't even realised it might be online, so am watching it now.

• Just got tickets to see Vampire Weekend in December. The long countdown begins now...

I'm surprised they're doing a venue as relatively small as the Hammersmith Apollo - should be great!

• For those of you who have discovered the pleasure of Leif Enger’s fiction, his new novel was released yesterday.

• A bit late to it, but the Woodstock '99 Netflix doc series is well worth a watch

• Incredible isn't it.

• I enjoyed Woodstock '99

Got to say I think Limp Bizkit's look / dance moves / vibe has aged terribly

Still partial to a few of their tracks though.