Skip to content

EFL TROPHY FINAL

Comments

• I have a little more information about the way tickets for Wembley are being advertised. Apparently the club could not offer tickets to the general public until restrictions were lifted over the weekend, prior to which any potential buyers had to have a previous history of buying tickets from the club. We emailed over 50,000 people with WWFC ticket purchase history, so no one was just ‘shrugging their shoulders.’ Now that restrictions have been lifted the club is collaborating with the EFL for a major promotional campaign which will be launched shortly. Also, news about Wembley merchandise is imminent.

• I find it staggering that the only realistic tickets left available for sale are £48 or £60.

Now is the time where as many £20 tickets should be sold as possible - even if this means opening the upper tier.

People with a partial interest in football, Wycombe or Wembley would pay £20. They won’t pay £60.

• If merchandise isn’t available for the Pompey game it’s a massive fail.

• 'tier 2 lift off' rekindles the nightmare that was the last Indiana Jones Film for me

• It looks like tickets are moving - 250 odd since last night so I am very hopefull Tier 2 will be opened up to us this week (est 420 still to sell to get to the magic 90%)

• Cheapest ticket in tier 2 will be £42. No more £20s coming without a big push.

I guess it costs a lot to open a tier.

• I for one am happy to pay that (same as for playoff final) I just prefer the view from Tier2

• Ticket pricing per section, and the criteria for releasing those sections isn't under the control of the club (sadly). It's dictated by Wembley which just goes to show what little regard they and the EFL, who have allowed to his policy, have for the likes of WWFC being able to maximise sales.

I'm certain that if the club had been able to dictate which sections could be opened for sale at different times, then we would have seen a different outcome.

• Sad as I am, I counted all the seats that had been put on sale (not including the blacked-out ones, of which there seem to be a lot (especially on the north side, blocks 141, 142, and 143). I came up with a figure of 15,689 that had been put on sale. A few minutes ago, there were 1,947 left, which worked out at 87.59% sold. That means that we've sold 13,742. I reckon we need to sell another 378 to get to the 90% mark and trigger the opening of Level 2. Surely we will do that soon?

• Suddenly my counting efforts seem utterly pathetic. Hats off!

Hope we get the 2nd tier open. It’s a fantastic view. Assume they’ll just release a block at a time to help with atmosphere.

Almost 14,000 seems like a damn good effort for the reserves cup.

• edited March 26

Cheers @arnos_grove ! I think it's two blocks at a time for Level 2.

• I’m holding out!

• edited March 26

By my sum of the seats left in each block half an hour ago there were 1829 remaining in Tier 1 - so on the basis of @NewburyWanderer sums we have Sold 13,860 which means we still need to sell 246 to hit 90% of T1

I am holding out & equally getting more hopeful that we will hit the magic number shortly.

• edited March 26

Do you reckon the club would allow people to move / exchange their tickets so that they could sit in the 2nd tier?

• ...and this even before Alan’s ‘newshound’ story about the major promotional campaign being launched shortly, which will surely stick a few more thousand onto the gate. With imminent Wembley merchandise including a rumour of three-cornered hats with Wycombe, Tavistock and Watford on them in blue, red and yellow, there’s something for everyone to be happy about.

• Just catching up on the thread - the efforts on merchandise is utterly pathetic and smacks of the club thinking it’s not with the hassle. When the t shirts for example come out, it’s hardly going to be top of the range stuff, it’s going to be basic, cost effective and something anyone with a bit of nouse can put together.

The scarfs that you see sold outside the stadium can be designed in minutes and ordered online at £6-£7 each, t shirts image could be taken from the social media images the club puts out every week. Even asking everyone to buy all the light and dark blue balloons you can get hold of could be great for the visual atmosphere.

Peterborough had 5 Wembley t shirts on sale within days of getting to the final.

• re: people suggesting the Trust should have got involved.......well it's not in their power to produce some Wembley merch and get it piled high and sold is it? We reached the final on 21st Feb, 35 days ago (or 5 weeks if you will). There were 5 home games left before the final. As of today, there hasn't been one t-shirt, flag or scarf put on sale. We're 11 days away from the final (or just over 1 week if you will). There is 1 home game left before the final.

And don't forget, we were told when the Couhigs took over that this was their strength. This is what they were good at. At every home game since we reached the final my son has asked me if we can buy a flag for Wembley today.

It'll be a big crowd on Friday, people will see a packed club shop, and the length of the queue and not bother. That's even if there is anything on sale.

I'm not relentlessly negative about stuff, in fact I think I'm pretty positive. I've had plenty of praise for the Couhigs over the years they've been involved. But I can't view this as anything other than a missed opportunity.

• Yeah its abject stuff really. If WWFC was able to organise bucketfuls of merch for big games as a non league club, and to a lesser extent under Trust ownership, there's zero excuse for us not being able to do it in the current climate.

• I'm struggling with this merchandise discussion. I too am nostalgic of the times when the club offered trophy hats and scarfs for the finals we reached in the early 90s, but the world has moved on both in how to access customised gear and also, perhaps, sustainability concerns.

In the 90s there were established businesses the club used to provide the merch, businesses which have been decimated by online retail. Anyone can get customised merchandise quickly- but a larger scale, reliable supplier is potentially harder to find than in the past.

I do agree the club could probably do more, but I'm not sure the margins will be great. Having said that- they should consider the longer term marketing value of people having Wycombe mugs in their offices etc as a result of some of this.

• Yeah fair point. Could be I'm (as usual) wallowing in nostalgia and actually, producing a load of merch would lose us money.

I'm just frustrated with the low key build up that's all. My memory may be playing tricks on me but back in 1991 as soon as the final whistle went against Altrincham it was all anyone in the town was talking about

• We need to sell Non-Fungible Tokens* to the kids if we want some of that sweet Bitcoin** And tea towels for the older fans.

*If they still exist

**Other Ponzi schemes are available

• As we've got 2hrs at least sitting on cold plastic seats, Maybe packs of Tena Men could be an option instead of the tea towels?

• I understand all Wembley merch transactions at AP will be in Couhig Coin only. Buy through the official WWWW (Wycombe Wanderers Worldwide Wallet) priced at $1.74.

The club the been holding off announcing merch sales until the crypto setup is sorted.

• Perhaps they took the lackluster interest and criticism of the competition to indicate no-one would be bothered...or got distracted by a really good property deal.

• The suggestion that the Trust could get involved was obviously in relation to help with distribution of posters etc to promote the final, and had nothing to do with merchandise which is clearly not within their remit.

• Sometimes I struggle to tell when you're being serious and when you're taking the p**s.

• You’ll understand, @Twizz, why I found your comment puzzling !!

Especially as I, a complete stranger, had no doubt that it was the latter.

• Personally I wouldn't put a lot of faith in "the magic number" being applied mechanistically.

There are still 1600 or so tickets on tier one including quite a few greens and pinks in 125 and 126. I wonder if they will want those largely gone before opening up more greens in level 2. Unless we have a late surge, feels like anyone who does get access to level 2 may be a bit lonely.

I see Peterborough are on tier 3 now but they have only opened up one section at that level and that on the side rather than behind goal and sales there have stalled as a result.

• Especially as, like so many products nowadays, tea towels are rarely fully fit for purpose. They seem to absorb much less water than they did in days of yore. So, unless there are holes in the plastic, they would probably prove ineffective.

Note to @Twizz: taking the p**s, literally.