Skip to content

Goalkeeper dilemma

Comments

• Really?

Stryjek must have the worst distribution of any goalkeeper I’ve seen play for Wycombe. I think he’s a little suspect at crosses and has made a fair few errors. On his day he is a terrific shot stopper though.

Allsop had fantastic distribution and a fine stopper. But he was terrible at crosses and also had an error in him.

If you are going to push on you really need your goalkeeper to have the full package. I would like us to sign a new goalkeeper in the summer - I’m certainly not “scapegoating” our current keepers.

• I’m sure he doesn’t have the worst distribution of any keeper you’ve seen play for Wycombe. We’ve had some horrors in the past.

I’ve never understood ‘he’s a good shot stopper,’ as some kind of concession. That’s literally the job!

• I think they're good enough for our realistic level, which is mid- to lower League One. Rav looks to have potential, so it's sensible to give him the gloves until the end of the season imo. Then assess from there. But I think we've got to accept that Max isn't the right fit going forward.

• Aaaah ... the heady days of Parkin and Cheesewright competing for the jersey.

• As if we had a bloke with the name Cheesewright. That's superb.

• Allsop was never a Gasroom scapegoat! More like a Gasroom darling

I was often a lone voice calling for Stockdale to be picked.

As for this ciurrent debate, it's becoming clear to me that had the Gasroom been around in 1990 then there were have been plenty of voices on here calling for Chuck Moussadik to keep his place ahead of Paul Hyde when he had that little run in the side

Stryjek is a far better goalkeeper than Ravizolli. Amazed it's even a debate

• Worth noting that Allsop has continued to have a very good Championship career, so he must be doing something right.

• Modern day stats gurus probably don’t keep stats on how badly a goalkeeper constantly kicking the ball into touch effects things like XG, etc

• I completely disagree with the notion that Rava’s kicking is better than Stryjek’s. Not only is the sample size insufficient. There are at least three halves of football I’ve watched out of a total six where Rava’s kicking has been distinctly poor. Bizarre discourse that his kicking is definitively better.

• it gets worse.........imagine a terrace full of fans singing "Cheesey Wright Wright Wright"

• They both have different distribution styles. Rav prefers to kick the ball out of his hands and play it long whereas Max prefers to play the ball on the floor. I did notice on Sat that Rav just kept aiming for GMac. I don't know the club's tactics but I know that McCleary's skill is when it's played on the floor, not the air....... (but what do I know?)

• I will happily stay out of this debate (as I don't want to appear "obsessed" © @arnos_grove) though I will just briefly recall a thread in the summer where my judgement was called into question because I had pointed out that Stryjek flattered to deceive. I think at the time I said something along the lines of "I'm happy to be sat at a table for one drinking my bitter while the rest of you all sit together chugging the Kool Aid."

All I'll say is I'm pleased some of you have joined me and there's always space for a few more.

• I think your judgement was called into question because you said Max was "one of the worst" goalkeepers in the league.

• I’m not convinced that Franco Ravizzoli’s kicking is much better targeted than Max Stryjek’s. On Saturday, he overhit a few and found touch with at least one.

Max looks physically stronger (even braver perhaps) although, to be fair, that late dive by Franco at the feet of an oncoming Reading player a few yards out from goal was the most vital of all his saves that afternoon. Saved us two points.

Joe Jacobson’s description of Franco as completely unlike, character wise, most of the goalkeepers he’s played with and what a lovely guy he is may be swaying me slightly in his favour.

I said immediately after the match on Saturday that I felt he had done enough to justify another game or two. But I think it’s necessary to factor in that Wigan may be physically tougher at corners and set pieces than Reading.

With Wembley looming, adding to Franco’s experience in the meantime might be wise, bearing in mind the fraught goalkeeping situation in the build up to the playoff final against Southend.

• Allsopp made an absolutely outstanding save last weekend. Just saying, he's still got it...

• Rav had a great game on Saturday, but I wouldn't say he was great the other matches. It's a tough one for me, think for me Max slightly edges it.

• Another fun quiz for the kids, which one of the following was also a Wycombe Wanderers player?

Brian Barstord

Wayne Wanklyn

Frank Staines

• What Rav did on Saturday was improve on his previous areas of weakness (he punched strongly, under pressure, for example) as well as doing all the good things he does, just as well as normal. And two 'body saves' thrown in, one at the death, capped a memorable performance. It's a genuine question for Matt, but I'm giving Max the nod.

• It was only three or four weeks ago that Max won us a semi final to take us to Wembley! There is no doubt the debate has merit, but to think Max has no credit in the bank or anything like that is an insult in my eyes

• For sure twas yer main man Wayney

• This sounds like the urban myth of the characters who (never) appeared in Captain Pugwash:

Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the cabin boy.

• edited March 12

Very true! Allsop was underrated, and I think people have become too familiar with Max.

• edited March 12

It is interesting that you touched on personality. Though Stocko was a better goalie than Rocky, the latter kept us in the playoff final (and set Fred off to win the penalty), whereas Stocko dropped a clanger in the same stadium. However, as Stocko is bubbly, he is more of a legend to many, I suspect.

• Rav is a number 2 all day long. Would have expected any keeper at this level to make the saves he did at Reading and would have been surprised if he hadn't. Saves a keeper should be making. He's got a clanger in him (more than most). Again small sample size but nearly threw one in against Stevenage when he came and was poor again Barnsley. A liability on set pieces. Stryek has his weaknesses but is a significantly better keeper than Rav hence the number of first team appearances.

• Be nice to see Matt Ingram come back home one day.